The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Can that be added to the core assets somehow? I agree with RPGista that it should be the default reflective water.

• Like 3

Can that be added to the core assets somehow? I agree with RPGista that it should be the default reflective water.

I beleive that was the plan and I dont see why not, I can look into this if you like?

@Arturus, the map from the above archive is missing some resources (texture for the terrain) and ambient world light, but all the files for the water are there. The only issue I can see with this the player_nodraw.skin, will this effect the players arms and weapons in-game?

skin player/nodraw
{
    model tdm_ai_thief_lesser
    model tdm_ai_thief_test

models/md5/chars/thief/thief                            textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/wrap                             textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/tunic                            textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/thief_head                       textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside_shadowcasting     textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather                          textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/leather_inside                   textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_shadows                     textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood                             textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/hood_ns                          textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/elite_citywatch_cloth     textures/common/nodraw
tdm_npc_hand                                            textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_leather     textures/common/nodraw
textures/common/shadow                                  textures/common/nodraw
models/weapons/shortbow/bracer                          textures/common/nodraw
head_eric01                                             textures/common/nodraw
tdm_wearable_hood                                       textures/common/nodraw
models/md5/chars/thief/thief_head                       textures/common/nodraw
}

That water is awesome, would love to be able to use it. Thanks :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Actually, I improved it by adding animated texture. Here's a download link. It's actually 2 shaders. One for reflection and one for refraction. When using real time reflections it's best to hide player's model.

Oh? For some reason I thought it was already added to the core mod. Should definitely be the default in water usage. Though I'm wanting to create larger waves in my current project, (like the oceanic based demo you made) this is still a worthy addition for standing water.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

@Arturus, the map from the above archive is missing some resources (texture for the terrain) and ambient world light, but all the files for the water are there. The only issue I can see with this the player_nodraw.skin, will this effect the players arms and weapons in-game?

I added material for the ground. Here's the new link. I'm pretty sure there is a light? As for nodraw skin, I use it because player's reflection is ugly. It doesn't affect arms and weapons. There's one element of the player model still visible in the reflection, probably the hood. I'm sure there is an easier way to make the player reflection invisible?

Couple of things you have to consider when using real time reflections: they are buggy sometimes and they are computationally expensive. Also you need two surfaces with two different shaders: one for reflection and one for refraction right above the first. The second one uses a large set of tga textures which may also affect the performance. For the reflection, one can use cubemaps instead of real reflections but they don't look that good without parallax correction.

• Like 3

It's only a model...

What's in the foreseeable to do list for the 2.06 update? Taking care of crashes, missing features or adding as much as possible and planned beforehand?

According to the bugtracker, lots of issues have nobody assigned to them since Steve went AWOL.

What will be delayed and what is planned to be done?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

This may be beyond the scope of the engine, however - if i were to set a small stream running downhill into a lake (eg, mesh into brush), it is very difficult to create a realistic swash where the waters meet - that is, that the ripples continue.

For "placid" surfaces this is fine, but for dynamic surfaces (eg, where moving water must hit a bank or rock in its path), the current decals can be fiddly to disguise the fact that it is nothing more than gently moving water given the illusion of speed by the splash created.

(this is especially apparant underwater where the two mesh/brushes can be seen to intersect, especially if different colours...)

In most instances it is fine, but for, eg, a waterfall or storm-drain exit - there is no swash.

The water is does look very good and it would be great to see this as standard.

Edited by teh_saccade

To my knowledge, the way to do this is to make the place where the stream meets the lake into it's own mesh

then use Blender to simulate the water activity and bake all the animation meshes as normal maps. Then merge

the normal maps into one long texture and use scroll jumps to perform a film projector effect rendering each normal map as an animation frame.

Similar process outlined here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15876-proper-realistic-moving-water/page-2?do=findComment&comment=335140

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm still in the stone-age when it comes to that stuff, nbohr1more... So I'll continue using rocks, debris and splash decals to disguise the seams :P

I understand - it is simply patching a bespoke animation over the seam and synching these togehter.

Thanks anyway - It may appear simple, but I am even more simple-minded - will leave stuff like that to people who know what they are doing, for now, until it keeps me awake at night.

It sounds like creating a new animation for every ebb, flow and eddy in running water rather than allow the physics to simulate (fluid mechanics is hard) such a thing...

Still - some nights it is impossible to sleep... so who knows...

Thanks for the link- I will bookmark it for later:)

Edited by teh_saccade
  • Like 1

Quite nice. I made some stone models in the architecture/stones folder you can use to hide the tops of brush walls like the one in image #2. Goes a long way towards hiding the boxy edges.

What's in the foreseeable to do list for the 2.06 update? Taking care of crashes, missing features or adding as much as possible and planned beforehand?

According to the bugtracker, lots of issues have nobody assigned to them since Steve went AWOL.

What will be delayed and what is planned to be done?

We haven't discussed 2.06 at all.

• Like 1

It depends on the resolution of the reflectionmap (if you are using one). You could create a custom version of the water shader with a higher res, but that will likely cause some performance problems. Or you apply an additional blur stage to it so it isn't that obvious. Texture scale might also be a way to influencce the appearence.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It is a new shader created by SteveL. We didn't had depth capturing before he implemented it, hence the other shader.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter