The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Currently working on a rich merchant's manor. But I'm stumped on the attic. Got any ideas what kinds of purposeful rooms it could contain? It's very spacious.

Inventory storage? Lots of duplicate objects stacked in different sections. Crates, sacks, wine racks.

Jewelry appraisal room? Magnifying lens, jewel piles, etc.

Spare clothing room? Large racks of hanging garments.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Quick response! Thanks guys! I like the skylights and jewelry room ideas. I thought about putting lots of storage junk there, of course, but it just felt too... unimaginative? But with a jewelry room that place will have a lot of purpose!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really liking these images, from both Goldwell and Bikerdude. Awesome stuff. Can't wait to play them.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Very nice use of light there!

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very nice use of light there!

Indeed, the semi-transparent curtain is brilliant. I never thought of doing that before (doh!) what tupe of light did you use Omni I guess..?

What is that long projection light in the second shot, it looks awesome :-)

NB. the shots a very dark btw.

Edited by Bikerdude

Indeed, the semi-transparent curtain is brilliant. I never thought of doing that before (doh!) what tupe of light did you use Omni I guess..?

What is that long projection light in the second shot, it looks awesome :-)

NB. the shots a very dark btw.

It is omni lights, the curtain materials is where the magic happens, it's off a codeblock either on my or Epifire's mapping threads.

The model is the harbour light Epifire made that's been included in 2.05 and the projection texture is the grate6 nbhor1 added with the cubemap update, but updated with a custom falloff.

They're supposed to be. :P I assure you it looks proper in-game, and there is always the gamma setting.

• Like 2

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one, Spooks. Two notes if I may dare

1. Guessing from the brightness of the light that comes through the windows, their glass should be more brighter and less blueish.
  2. It is a matter of taste, but the stone window frames stand a bit in contrast to all the wooden panels. Also it looks odd that they stand out that much.

Love the skeleton, though :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks, yeah, it's a shame that Spring's exterior mansion windows don't have an interior variation. I think a skin change can work in this case but I'm still not so sure if the geometry of the model will fit the interior, even when indented in the wall.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Thanks, yeah, it's a shame that Spring's exterior mansion windows don't have an interior variation.

I made a number of interior prefabs for one set of the external wall/window sets.

Here is my art test room for the current thing I'm doing.

I created a lit skin for that window, should be on SVN.

Edited by Bikerdude

Thanks, yeah, it's a shame that Spring's exterior mansion windows don't have an interior variation.

Is interior_mansion01/window01_seperate.lwo not in 2.05? I can send it to you if not, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Is interior_mansion01/window01_seperate.lwo not in 2.05? I can send it to you if not, but I'm pretty sure it is.

It is. He probably missed the interior folder.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It is. He probably missed the interior folder.

That is an interior version of mansion01_window02, what I used in the screenshot was mansion01_window04, which is both way bigger and only has one row of windowpanes.

I made a number of interior prefabs for one set of the external wall/window sets.

I created a lit skin for that window, should be on SVN.

I assume this is on the speedbuild thread you made? Thanks, I'll take a look and see.

That is an interior version of mansion01_window02, what I used in the screenshot was mansion01_window04, which is both way bigger and only has one row of windowpanes.

Sorry, I should have looked more closely. That model was made for the church in the update to St Lucia...it's not actually to scale with any of the mansion modules, although it uses the same style. That's why there's no internal version, since it's taller than the internal modules. I could make a version with a smaller wooden frame if you like.