The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Very nice Goldwell, but your map does remind me that TDM needs a better snow material (perhaps a shader), i just hope that after the GLSL render is done i will be able to donate one (no promises), i'm learning GLSL shading for my game, for example one that "sparkles" a little as the player walks around, also those roofs need something to break the edges perhaps some ice spikes/ ice stalactites. I would also use some deformed patch's with the snow material applied to break the flatness of the snow along the roof surface, like we do to ground surfaces.

My advice would also be sub surface scattering. I mean that's something I don't think we can do yet either. If we could render in SSS, it would help but you're also having to fight hard edges with patches. I'd say Vertex Blend specific materials would definitely help but I don't think enough people would want to take the time out to blend snow details on mesh converted sections.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

If you want to break the flat look of snow you could apply a bump map, or use a filter decal to darken some pieces. Using fake reflections like we do on some glass shaders might also add to the look, as this may cause parts of the snow to look like ice. When I find the time (probably next week) I can fiddle with it and also restart working on the fragment blending method I proposed a while ago. Having a nice blend between snow and the actual roof might look more interesting then just a flat white plane. :)

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Looks awesome, and I see you're stealing ideas from TDS, Thief reboot, and Borderlands :)

I was inspired by the shops in Thief: Deadly Shadows, Thief 2014 and Dishonored 2... don't know about Borderlands though haha :)

I thought the vendor looked like Marcus, but maybe that's just me ;)

LOL just looked him up, definitely see the resemblance now :D

But no that wasn't my intention, I was going through the body and head skins and thought "hey.. this guy looks like a shopkeeper / fence!"

• Like 1

:laugh: nice work on the shop Goldwell the shopkeeper made me laugh.

Wow, that shop is awesome! That has the potential to add a whole new dimension to the game. I wonder if he can be robbed too ;)

would be awesome to be able to rob the shop, but then whats the purpose of having a shop where you can buy stuff if you can just rob it? Thinking about it, perhaps it would be possible to rob the shop, but the difficulty of it would be so high that majority of players would prefer to shop on it instead. :D

• Like 1

Wow!

I thought only Dram knew how to squeeze those kinds of daytime visuals out of this engine.

While mine is also just a proof of concept I've actually been working out some methods with this (and my recent discoveries in the Epi-questions) to achieve a more in depth daytime cycle. For those who hadn't seen it here... http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17308-epis-many-questions-thread/?p=413216

The idea is to use this kind of softer three stage lighting (ambient color, fog haze and direct sunlight parallel) to almost get that Bioshock Infinite sunny day look. Then with the tracing method shown in the thread linked, I can shadow in hiding spots (yes with manually projected masks) and drag the threshold beneath the ambient color stage to still maintain valid, "stealth lanes". I'd say the only other thing that could top it off (other than real lightmap caching) would be god ray post process effects. :wub:

• Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm glad to see people enjoyed the little quip at the end too, i've added a few of those in as you interact with different items around the shop, also you can actually relight the candle again with a slow match and he will react positively to it :)

My goal with him was to capture the feel of the fences and shopkeepers in Thief: Deadly Shadows and provide a new aspect of gameplay when traversing through my mission, the shopkeeper also comments on things you have done around the world too when you come back and visit him.

• Like 4