The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

That is a very impressive looking ship, the sheer scale of it is impressive alone, but its all the details that dazzle!

Only crit is that its a little bit to contemporary and not enough medieval steampunk..( the lifeboats, I don't think these were ever stored that was back then, if at all)

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

That is a very impressive looking ship, the sheer scale of it is impressive alone, but its all the details that dazzle!

Only crit is that its a little bit to contemporary and not enough medieval steampunk..( the lifeboats, I don't think these were ever stored that was back then, if at all)

I don't know if Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates is a good comparison but if the ship isn't a 100% recreation of a historical vessel, no problem putting the lifeboats in whatever arrangement is ok with modeling in-game.

I think the bigger, advanced ships from 16'th, 17'th, 18'th century definitely had more lifeboats because she carried hundreds of sailors. That is if it's sail ships but steam boats as well.

But if it's steampunk with steam ships than it's not medieval at all. :D

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Thanks very much Bikerdude - regarding the time period, I've really started to take a liking towards the pioneer ambience, replete with its paraffin lamps, whaling stations and rugged individualists. And this is what their ships looked like: straight hulls, steam-powered (this is what the new steam_engine_003 was for by the way) and ever more functional design. Maybe this era could be considered as the upper end of TDM's timescale? Also, personally I found it quite interesting to alternate between working on a 16th century ship like the merchantman on the previous page and a barque like this one.

On the matter of lifeboats: they used to get stored on the deck itself. Later they moved to the rooves of deckhouses once ships started having those, and after that they were suspended off the sides. The advantage of the latter is that it saves a lot of space.

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 1

Will horizontal/vertical mirroring for grime on rectangular portholes and mirroring/rotation for round ones be sufficient or different textures would do better?

Normally it's enough to rotate every 2nd or 3rd pothole to conceal patterns in the grime, though the rectangular portholes may benefit from having a mirrored model variant because they can't be rotated as freely. I've left that step for later though because most of the work I'm doing now is on the interior, churning out modules for the different environments, so the exterior parts will undoubtedly be shuffled around to accommodate the new interior when the time comes.

Speaking of interiors: making the soundscape for this is really being a blast, experimenting with layering all kinds of shorter local pieces on top of the base ambients.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The key to an elevator like that is the lighting, and the ceiling needs to be drop dead gorgeous (depending on location). Stained glass is a good option. I hope

after you publish this level; you'll make this into a prefab. It's beautiful work.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

The key to an elevator like that is the lighting, and the ceiling needs to be drop dead gorgeous (depending on location). Stained glass is a good option.

I hope after you publish this level; you'll make this into a prefab. It's beautiful work.

Its an outside public elevator, so hence all the meta and and not much else

I can do B)

Nice job at masking the hard edges. Is this baked using averaged normals? That's the only way I make due without loosing corner details when baking all hard edged.

Yes. I finally understand what makes that method superior. Baking it in 3dsmax was a pain though. I had to divide both meshes into 6 parts to set up cages properly. I know that Substance Painter is pretty good at doing it semi-automatically, but I haven't gotten to that yet ;)

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

why I'm such a big proponent of learning modeling, and in particular, making models with unwrapped UVs, instead of simple tiling materials:

I certainly agree that models covered in tiling materials tend to look awful, but I'd make the case that some models have custom textures that're worth using again. For example this is the wardrobe1 texture on the coffin:

zZQOp06.png

It's good to see that you did after all get around to redoing some of the stock models at this level of detail. What has really caught my eye in that WIP shot though is the floor texture: without exaggerating, it'd be a perfect fit for my ship interior. Would you care to share it?

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 2