The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

the desk, for modern desks it would be rubber or leather depends on price, leather ones would be more expensive, for antique desks it would be leather, it all depends if rubber sheets exist in tdm world. the rubber would come from rubber tree's, and the leather would come from animals.

• Like 1

Ho! That's looking very cool!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Nice start. I've also taken a (rough) look at your homepage. Some nice stuff their, too.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 2 weeks later...

My mission in progress is called Ding Dong Bell (Garretts Down The Well), it was originally a DromEd map and then restarted into NewDark but that exceeded it's limitations too, and so I am now remapping into Dark Mod. It was a four part mission and I reckon each part will take about 8 months to complete...I'll keep you posted as to how it's coming along.

• Like 4

One suggestion--try to avoid perfectly flat sections of wall. Look for things that can jut out, like awnings, shutters, wooden beams, bay windows, etc. It helps add visual interest to the scene, which is especially desirable when the wall is symmetrically balanced.

• Like 1

Yes I have a very tall and boring wall, I have put a large prefab building up against it and the roof of that building is just a fraction higher than the ground surface of the inn at the top of the long flight of steps...now all I have to do is put in some viz portals at the bottom of the steps to hinder the view up which is shuddering when you turn around at the bottom, I am learning the benefits of viz portals which you described in your excellent tutorial..still, this is my first attempt and I'm quite pleased that I have no leaks and any suggestions and criticisms are very welcome.

• Like 1

Nice going! Those are, indeed, some good fences. (And the machinery is swell, too!)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I found that lovely steam engine in the models folder and just had to use it, (whoever :ph34r: made that model is a genius by the way) coupled it up to an oil tank (because I couldn't find a huge pile of logs or enogh of a pile of sacks to give the illusion of coal) and away it went...now how to fit it in game..ah, created a sump next to it with two water wheels and two giant pipe bends to add to the illusion of the engine pulling water up from the waterfall area below to power the waterwheels which in turn deliver both electricity and water to the town...now on with my storyline..phew.

Edited by Ravenhook
  • Like 1

Oh and Raven, one thing I might add that could do your scene a lot of good for a small amount of work is some simple edging. Like the cobblestone to the iron bar fence for example. One strip of something appropriately textured just eases the transition. It's usually where one vastly different object (or material) converges with another. Something to ease that, especially in a really industrial scene I've found to do wonders. Looking great though, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I see, where there is a change of texture throw in a border..(like in my house here there is a skirting board that seperates the floor from the wall)

Something like I did with the old wooden fence outside the pub. I think looking at it your right, I'll take another look at that after I finish sorting out some of the stuttering when I look in game at some of the areas, I have out in a lot of viz portals which has helped out a lot but it looks like I'll have to cut through half of a particular area with one dirty great big one. Two shots of the fence with the overhanging cobblestones.

post-3003-0-62745800-1538071584_thumb.jpg

post-3003-0-65935200-1538071596_thumb.jpg

• Like 2