The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

On 5/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, peter_spy said:

Spent some time toying with detail texture stage. Something similar was used in first Rage, but it was way, way less subtle. This is only visible when you're really close to a surface:

obraz.png

I really miss this feature, it was in Quake 3 but not used much. Also the old ATi Radeon demos showed off this feature.

It was poorly done in Crytek engines where you only saw it with dynamic lights like muzzle flares.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

17 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

First location concept phase.

obraz.png

Sweet!  Is that a subtle foglight creating the blues off to the right, or is it an ambient light? 

It does. Is it a dungeon? Basement? As I said the other day I think it could use some debris/furniture to break up the floor. Looks

great though.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Yeah, something like that. This is nowhere near a finished scene, just a rough sketch to figure out scale and basic proportions. These columns will probably get thicker, and I plan to have walls and floor as flat materials mixed with actual geometry, a la Dark Souls 3 and the like. Those bricks and tiles will probably be noshadows, but they should still look pretty cool. We'll see :)

Edited by peter_spy

• 2 weeks later...

@JW: The shot is a little dark. Please note: Screenshots from DM do not possess the gamma settings from your DM preferences. Thus, you have to adjust brightness/gamma manually via a program.

Please replace your shot from above with a brighter one. :)

Edited by JackFarmer

Thanks, Jack!

Those spotlights and fog with the water outflow pipes look really great! I'm excited about it being 3 parts!

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, chakkman said:

So he's still making maps for TDM? Nice. :)

Is it nice though? He was the reason I waited until this January to join and start posting. I've lurked for a decade and didn't want to come out of the shadows until he made his final exodus. I've dealt with relatives in my personal life with schizophrenia, narcissistic personality disorder, and pathological liars and lemme tell you I can spot that shite a mile away. Watching his descent from hero to zero was sad and disappointing. His contribution to the mod and his talent and technical prowess were all marred and tainted in the wake he left behind. I'm going to make a bold statement and say my goal in time is to be better than he was/is. I've barely been mapping a few months but give me a few years. If I were a betting man I would put money down on the fact he masquerades around here under the guise of a newb. I'm sorry for venting I don't want to derail the thread; it's all been covered before. I just fear history has a tendency to repeat itself. He's still human and I'm not saying he's a bad guy that we must treat as a leper, but maybe exercise caution.

Pretty screen shots though.

And peter_spy, I really am excited every time I see new work you show off.

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

If the maps are fun, what does it matter who's behind it? If I stopped using every product because of the person behind it, I'm not sure if I'd still have a normal comfortable life :)

I mean, just look at some of the musicians and actors. Plenty of fine works there, but not everyone is as breathtaking as Keanu Reeves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Is it nice though? He was the reason I waited until this January to join and start posting. I've lurked for a decade and didn't want to come out of the shadows until he made his final exodus. I've dealt with relatives in my personal life with schizophrenia, narcissistic personality disorder, and pathological liars and lemme tell you I can spot that shite a mile away. Watching his descent from hero to zero was sad and disappointing. His contribution to the mod and his talent and technical prowess were all marred and tainted in the wake he left behind. I'm going to make a bold statement and say my goal in time is to be better than he was/is. I've barely been mapping a few months but give me a few years. If I were a betting man I would put money down on the fact he masquerades around here under the guise of a newb. I'm sorry for venting I don't want to derail the thread; it's all been covered before. I just fear history has a tendency to repeat itself. He's still human and I'm not saying he's a bad guy that we must treat as a leper, but maybe exercise caution.

Pretty screen shots though.

And peter_spy, I really am excited every time I see new work you show off.

Don't get me wrong, i can at least halfway see where you're coming from. I can only say that, from my perspective, i didn't spend remotely enough time here, or am deep enough involved to even know what he was like exactly. Yeah, saw some controversial stuff, but, spending time on internet forums, you sort of get used to it... i don't even want to know how many people who spend a considerable time of their life on internet forums suffer from the things you mentioned. I'd say a whole lot. At least that's my impression, with all kind of wicked posts i've read.

As snowy mentioned, that doesn't have a influence on me enjoying his maps, though. AFAIC, he made some of the finest missions for this mod, so...

Edited by chakkman