The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Good grief ERH+ ? I'm pretty glad I beefed up the lighthouse recently so it can adequately accommodate this fine piece of engineering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 2:29 AM, ERH+ said:

Dragofer asked me for a lighthouse engine, giving 160x 160x 160 units as a maximum dimensions. It is a bit rushed (few hours) and looks more like a clock tower mechanism as I think about it now.

You are a real MF. Yes, you are.

Your friend, Jack.

When will you publish SOLS?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@JackFarmer Nice! I've been wanting to see an underground cathedral amid natural rock formations. Your screens actually remind me of Ruins of Origina from Thief2... it was quite the adventure, bewildering in many ways.

17 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

When will you publish SOLS?

Thanks for asking this ?

Edited by Dragofer

@peter_spy: Looking nice, but, I always have the feeling that your stuff looks a bit too clean and polished for Dark Mod stuff. To be honest, I'm not sure if that's really the case though. It could very well be that it just looks too polished, because there's a lot of light illuminating the environment. Might look just right, when there's not much light. :)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, chakkman said:

@peter_spy: Looking nice, but, I always have the feeling that your stuff looks a bit too clean and polished for Dark Mod stuff. To be honest, I'm not sure if that's really the case though. It could very well be that it just looks too polished, because there's a lot of light illuminating the environment. Might look just right, when there's not much light. :)

I think you're just used to the way our current asset base looks like.

These have that unreal engine look to them, where they are realistic, less stylized. I like both actually but you really can tell the difference when you mix and match them in a scene.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

1 hour ago, VanishedOne said:

I've seen it said of the current core asset base that it tends towards the clean and unscuffed. Admittedly that was five years ago, prior to Springheel's outdoor modules with all the grime decals included.

It was said, but it wasn't especially accurate even at that time.  It's definitely not the case now.

I saw the idea as equivalent to the old rule that sound assets should be without environmental effects in the vanilla version, since the effects should be added when it's put in-game, and grime is a kind of environmental effect on top of the original. I think the idea is, with a clean original, you can then tailor the asset to different environments or vary the amount of it. 

But practically speaking, assets are made to fit with certain environments that fit our gameplay and aesthetic, and it's probably better to just tailor the grime to the asset in its native version than relying on generic grime decals that then get overused and aren't always very fitting to the asset. So I'm okay with the trend in that direction. 

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah, that approach with clean assets and separate decals is outdated. It increases drawcalls, and it also doesn't take into account that you have to include dirt on your specular map to make the it look good. 

Edited by peter_spy