The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

15 hours ago, STRUNK said:

Catching some of these new fishes:

https://streamable.com/qb49h

STRUNK-2020-03-28-22-08-16.jpg

haha nice :D 

But a petty they intersect the floor and don't swim away when a explosion or a human gets near them.  

ERH+ nice work on the gun, personally I would make the empty shells fall to the ground with physics instead of disappearing like that, but none the less very nice work indeed. The more knowledge you guys gain the more TDM becomes more awesome. :)

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

@HMart

I had to put a monsterclip above them otherwise the would swim also above the water, so putting one just above the floor would fix the intersection, and about their behaviour .. well yes, it's just how it is. With search on they react strongly to explosions and all go to where the explosion was ... and then the game crashes : O

So, not perfect but nice to have these fish that @VanishedOne got to work for TDM: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/20318-arx-eos-fish/

Edited by STRUNK

Just now, STRUNK said:

@HMart

I had to put a monsterclip above them otherwise the would swim also above the water, so putting one just above the floor would fix the intersection, and about their behaviour .. well yes, it's just how it is. With search on the react strongly to explosions and all go to where the explosion was ... and then the game crashes : O

So, not perfect but nice to have these fish that @VanishedOne got to work for TDM: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/20318-arx-eos-fish/

Of course better this than nothing and i'm sure someone someday will improve them. 

You could try putting a path_flee_point_rats in your map, but it seems fish have to be pretty close to the blast to want to flee it.

Edit: setting is_civilian seems to make them keener to flee, but I don't know whether that's all the spawnarg controls or whether it's also involved in 'Don't kill innocents' objectives. I notice rats don't have it.

Disabling unarmed_melee also seemed to help.

Despite having been able to injure one with the blackjack before, I'm now finding them remarkably resistant to melee weapons...

Edit: ... which is an unexpected result of having af_push_moveables turned off. The rat and tiny spider have it disabled too, so arguably it's the default setting for ambient AI even on land, but if you want to slice up fish you should re-enable it.

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

wow Refleks! Absolutely stunning street scene. Love the attention to detail too. I had to do a doubletake to make sure this was actually TDM, haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, refl3ks said:

Side note: I'm in the process of blending the road in better with grass, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ah, the old 'grass edge' problem. Are you using patches for the grass? Your best bet is vertex blending but it requires using a model; DR has an export script that's supposed to help with this. Failing that, there's this.

• Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

27 minutes ago, refl3ks said:

Side note: I'm in the process of blending the road in better with grass, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check Amadeus' recently released mission "A good neighbor". It uses patches with the following material:

textures/darkmod/nature/grass/grass_edge/path/dirt/dry_earth_muddy_path

grafik.png.8aad7abc8c5917ea78bb445db30082ed.png

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

wow Refleks! Absolutely stunning street scene. Love the attention to detail too. I had to do a doubletake to make sure this was actually TDM, haha

Thanks! My goal is to have every part of the map have a personal touch. I believe it will give a very organic feel to the environment.

1 hour ago, grayman said:

Very Nice!!

Cheers! 🍾

1 hour ago, VanishedOne said:

Ah, the old 'grass edge' problem. Are you using patches for the grass? Your best bet is vertex blending but it requires using a model; DR has an export script that's supposed to help with this. Failing that, there's this.

Yes, I am using patches. Thanks for the links, I will look into it 👍

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

Check Amadeus' recently released mission "A good neighbor". It uses patches with the following material:

textures/darkmod/nature/grass/grass_edge/path/dirt/dry_earth_muddy_path

grafik.png.8aad7abc8c5917ea78bb445db30082ed.png

Thanks for that, I'll download his mission and see if I can learn some things! 👍

I'll post updated images once I get it tackled, blending the road is my priority right now considering I will be using the method well into the missions final area.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, refl3ks said:

I'm back trying to finish what I started a year ago. I haven't had the pleasure of finishing or releasing any FM's just yet, but hopefully that will change soon! This mission is called Vertigo, I'll follow up with more screenshots as I progress. This project is a labor of love for the original thief games. Map is divided into smaller shape segments to help with optimization, it also gives me more flexibility with visual fidelity.

I'm (mostly) using Springheel's modules.

Visual inspiration: Thief 2014

Let me know what you guys think!

zRJMmeV.jpg

That is incredibly impressive! wow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goldwell said:

That is incredibly impressive! wow!

1 hour ago, kingsal said:

Wonderful shots refl3ks!

1 hour ago, Springheel said:

Beautiful work!  Love the fog effect too.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, STiFU said:

Maybe some moderator should move these posts about videoscreens into a separate discussion, as people might find the information useful in the future and will find it better this way.

Done:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, refl3ks said:

wallpaper to keep myself motivated while I continue this project, what do you guys think?

I really really hate to be a motivation killer, but I love the feel of the path in the first screenshot... more organic (sort of natural overgrowth on the path) and less rigid than a straight path.   Nevertheless, incredibly evocative snapshots.  It seems like a screenshot of TDM v2.0  ;).

• Like 1

Looks great @refl3ks!! Regarding what Sneaker brought up, you might be able to get the best of both worlds in terms of a realistic street. If those are grass patches you can just adjust the vertices to make it look like the street in your first screenshot while still having that nice blend effect

• Like 1

4 hours ago, refl3ks said:

Finally integrated the road, thanks to @Amadeus, I copied the settings from Good Neighbor. Added a few effects and made myself a wallpaper to keep myself motivated while I continue this project, what do you guys think?

DGEpiWe.jpg

I felt the pathway on the ground looked better before, if it's possible curve the end of the pathway down near the fog to the right a little bit more, so that it's aiming towards the center of the buildings. I think that might improve it a bit more.

Also I absolutely love your logo in the bottom left corner man! Very nice touch!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goldwell said:

Also I absolutely love your logo in the bottom left corner man! Very nice touch!

Dude yes. The little thief scaling the V is dope.

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

First of all that's a great image. I think the 2nd road is better in the sense that the border is much better than the hard border of the first version. But it is unnaturally straight. A little irregularity in the edges or slight curve, if you can keep that border, would do it well I think. It's not such a big deal though. It still looks great as it is.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.