The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

20 hours ago, Sneaker said:

I really really hate to be a motivation killer, but I love the feel of the path in the first screenshot... more organic (sort of natural overgrowth on the path) and less rigid than a straight path.   Nevertheless, incredibly evocative snapshots.  It seems like a screenshot of TDM v2.0  ;).

I agree, the straightness of the pathway is bothering me quite a bit!

19 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Looks great @refl3ks!! Regarding what Sneaker brought up, you might be able to get the best of both worlds in terms of a realistic street. If those are grass patches you can just adjust the vertices to make it look like the street in your first screenshot while still having that nice blend effect

Thanks! 🙂 

16 hours ago, Goldwell said:

I felt the pathway on the ground looked better before, if it's possible curve the end of the pathway down near the fog to the right a little bit more, so that it's aiming towards the center of the buildings. I think that might improve it a bit more.

Also I absolutely love your logo in the bottom left corner man! Very nice touch!

The little Thief was an afterthought :)

16 hours ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Dude yes. The little thief scaling the V is dope.

It seemed fitting 🙃

8 hours ago, demagogue said:

First of all that's a great image. I think the 2nd road is better in the sense that the border is much better than the hard border of the first version. But it is unnaturally straight. A little irregularity in the edges or slight curve, if you can keep that border, would do it well I think. It's not such a big deal though. It still looks great as it is.

After all the feedback, I realized I will just have to rework the whole groundwork to fit the organic feel of the map. If I start half a**ing right now, the map won't fall together as it should and optimization will be a nightmare.. The straightness of the path did bug me, but I wanted to hear all opinions before I scraped it!

20 hours ago, chakkman said:

Looks really nice. And, going after a style similar to Thief 2014 is a good thing in my book. :) (Even though I don't quite see too much of that in the screenshot.

Thank you! I agree, I believe a hybrid between the original and Thief 4 might be more fitting? I'm more or less trying to mimic the atmosphere to be more like Thief 4.

• Like 1

That looks great to me, better than the previous two versions.

I think what grayman was getting at is we're supposed to elevate path_corners a little off the ground. At least that used to be the advice; it might be old advice now. But that's how I interpreted his comment. It might be the opposite now for all I know though.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

1 hour ago, demagogue said:

I think what grayman was getting at is we're supposed to elevate path_corners a little off the ground. At least that used to be the advice; it might be old advice now. But that's how I interpreted his comment. It might be the opposite now for all I know though.

I'm unsure how it used to be but the advice I was given was that they need to be on the ground.

Ok, that sounds right. I just remember reading that if a part is below the ground and it's multi-level (like 2nd floor), there's a chance the AI paths to the floor underneath it. That wouldn't apply to this anyway. I think in my FM the issue was parts were uneven ground at an angle, so it was just very close to the ground.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

4 hours ago, demagogue said:

Path_corners should sit on the ground 

Very professional. Reminds me of T1&2. Love it !

The characters added in with the filter made me think it was straight out of a magazine, really top notch.

What I love about seeing other people’s work is how it inspires me to better myself. I need to take some tutorials on gimp so I can have a sexy looking screen like that as my loading gui.

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

The mission starts with you climbing up and then descending back down. About a quarter of the way, you are presented with two options: Taking the Rooftops, or sticking to the ground - Both have a decent share of difficulties and stories to tell. At about halfway through the map, there will be a building that will link the rooftops and the streets, giving you a second chance to choose a different path. The final area of the mission will have a different outcome depending on the choice you made.

Goal of the mission: Replayability, exploration and story-telling - I want the player to be fully immersed before making it to the final area.

The difficulty of this mission is: balancing, pacing and definitely optimization (I fear that this mission will be taxing on PC hardware).

On 4/9/2020 at 5:21 PM, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Very professional. Reminds me of T1&2. Love it !

The characters added in with the filter made me think it was straight out of a magazine, really top notch.

What I love about seeing other people’s work is how it inspires me to better myself. I need to take some tutorials on gimp so I can have a sexy looking screen like that as my loading gui.

I'm considering sticking to this style throughout all the cut scenes, I'm glad my work inspired you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PranQster said:

Fishing. I wish I could make the AI sway and bob with the boat.

training_mission_2020-04-16_12_11_51.thumb.jpg.9a7e141b4e61957ff244127b655ba3fc.jpg

Things I would try:

1) bind the AI to the boat -> bind the boat to a func_riser -> bind the func_riser to a func_pendulum (no scripting knowledge needed)

2) bind the AI to the boat make the boat a func_mover and with a object script change its position and angles per frame (this needs scripting knowledge)

3 hours ago, PranQster said:

I wish I could make the AI sway and bob with the boat.

In Down by the Riverside I've used monsterclip brushes converted to func_mover to push AIs sitting inside or on a carriage. Should be possible to make the boat move at least on the horizontal plane, if not vertically / rotate.

41 minutes ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

What happens when you bind him to the boat?

AI can't be bound, they'll disappear at map start.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I already tried binding the AI. They last for about 1 second before they vaporize. I had one riding in a chariot bound to a horse/steambot a few years ago. And once I almost got a ragdoll to stay draped across the back of a horse using a func_spring. I also have an idea of how to get a ragdoll to float in water, so I'll be playing with that tonight.

I have a door mover with auto open/close as well as func_bobbing on the boat. Adding pendulum is a good idea too, so I will do that as well.

Going to move the door mover from the boat to the anchor end of the rope so that it moves more realistically. Right now it's swinging a stiff rope around.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Not too shabby. I'll do some visual distraction magic to make the rope seem less detached at the back of the boat, but that's about the motion I want for the rowboat..

Video of fishing dude  << That used a mover_door on the end of the rope where the dock will be, just moving about .15 degrees with auto open/close. Boat bound to the rope and contents bound to boat. I also tied in a func_pendulum and a func_bobbing to get both the rocking and lifting effects.

Another part of the same map...

Time to stir the pot

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 4

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

10 hours ago, PranQster said:

Pole in hand was super easy. But binding AI to anything goes kaput.

I recall from an earlier discussion with Springheel and Obsttorte to use an audience entity for that.

However, I never tried it and thus do not know whether that could work.

• Like 1