The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

On 4/9/2020 at 11:10 PM, refl3ks said:

Last image I will post of this shot. I just wanted to share my latest loading screen for the map. Let me know what you guys think!

llpTBEN.jpg

The shot is lovely, but, I'm not sure if I like the moiré effect.

I'd get rid of it, TBH. Surely looks better without it.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Dragofer said:

In Down by the Riverside I've used monsterclip brushes converted to func_mover to push AIs sitting inside or on a carriage. Should be possible to make the boat move at least on the horizontal plane, if not vertically / rotate.

AI can't be bound, they'll disappear at map start.

That shows how many AI's have I bound to things lol, but that is perhaps solved by:

1) Updating the AI position and angles to match the boat position and angles using script.

2) Not use a AI class at all but instead use a func_animate class (or TDM equivalent) for the character (func_animate have no collision but you can work around that if needed)

• Like 1

Guy fishing part two , and a body in the river (just a ragdoll on worldspawn, so it does nothing). I need to move the fishing line so it reaches the water and not the boat, lol.

Found a solution for the end of the rope. Will change the metal piece into a broken cleat or such dangling there, instead of something mounted like that on purpose.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 4

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

2 hours ago, Geep said:

@PranQster, your postings reminded me to make coherent my 2019 notes and findings, just added to the wiki as Ragdoll Corpses in Water

Thanks I'll check it out. One thing I tried was to put an AI (rotated face-down) with 'movetype FLY', 'mass 0', all acuity set to 0, and 'health 0' (thinking it would spawn him already dead). But I ended up with the AI standing up and lazily floating around above the water performing his idle barks. I was hoping to get an dead or ko'd AI to "FLY" on the surface of the water.

Using 'nodrop 1' keeps the ragdoll in the T-pose. I tried setting 'ground_critical_bodies' from 'waist chest rupleg Lupleg ruparm Luparm' to 'rupleg Lupleg ruparm Luparm' with 'nodrop 0' and the limbs still pull it down.

Edited by PranQster
more info
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:54 AM, chakkman said:

The shot is lovely, but, I'm not sure if I like the moiré effect.

I'd get rid of it, TBH. Surely looks better without it.

I will give it a shot, removing the effect will definitely give it a more classic feel for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 12:26 PM, Geep said:

Done. In my FM, I found i could live with the T pose. My wiki piece links to ways to pose a ragdoll, but I didn't really pursue them.

I had a thought when considering the use of an elevator. Ragdolls can be placed upon an elevator and moved around. So I made a small brush textured with tdm_nodraw_solid_liquid (lol) and made it into a func_mover_elevator. I placed that under a ragdoll at water surface. With no movement of the platform, the ragdoll just stays in place. Arms, legs, and head can all droop if the entity is shaped properly. I then bound the invisible elevator platform to a func_bobbing and that to a func_rotating entity. That worked rather well and the ragdoll bobs and rotates in the water with limbs dangling.

Due to the bobbing and rotating, the ragdoll eventually slides off the platform (currently a rectangle from neck to waist and shoulder to shoulder). But it doesn't shake and twitch like other disturbed ragdolls sometimes do. If I can get the platform shaped just right, then ragdolls can be floated with bobbing and rotation, etc.

And yes, that is a spider walking on the wall at the left edge, just above the brick.

Here's a video taken after modifying the sled :) .

siegeshop_2020-04-29_22_13_49.thumb.jpg.1ed1dba7c7ca31470a86710b57daf7f7.jpg

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, STiFU said:

Build an actual cage of monster-clip, so that extremities can dangle, but there is no chance for the body to get away?

I did that, more or less. I made some extra little walls and dividers to keep the ragdoll from sliding off. See the video I posted. I'll make a screenshot in DR of the little cage and post it here.

The ragdoll has been made stable. The little cage/sled is made of tdm_nodraw_solid_liquid right now. I'll test it with monsterclip, which will probably work since the ragdoll will likely see the elevator as solid no matter how it is textured. Then the player won't hit any invisible obstructions if the ragdoll is grabbable.

Screenshot_20200501_131821.png.13391cb7622cb1266c7a19a757c17419.png

I'm thinking of trying a trigger system set below the surface of the water in a well, or something similar. The goal would be to have the player drop a KO'd AI or other (named) ragdoll down the well. The dropped AI would likely not be positioned on an existing elevator/cage properly, so it will need replacing with a ragdoll in the proper position (which would be in another room already loaded on the cage).

The named AI would immediately sink and hit the trigger, which would activate portals to replace the dropped AI with the ragdoll & elevator platform. That would then be moved slowly to the surface, followed by rotation and bobbing. Nice thing is that the elevator system itself does not need setting up, just the basic elevator entity bound to a standard mover.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 4

For me, slowing working through my next map. It's about 2/3 done, and am currently working on the merchants region

of Venice. It's slow progress, as every building has to be custom made, as there's not a lot of room for modules in a Venice

map. 

• Like 3

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

@PranQster, I'd like to add a precis of your method to the "Ragdolls floating on water" wiki, including the 2 photos above. OK?

Also, I wasn't sure that the monsterclip suggestion was going to work... won't ragdolls just fall through monsterclip? Did you try it?

4 hours ago, Geep said:

@PranQster, I'd like to add a precis of your method to the "Ragdolls floating on water" wiki, including the 2 photos above. OK?

Also, I wasn't sure that the monsterclip suggestion was going to work... won't ragdolls just fall through monsterclip? Did you try it?

Go for it. I also suggest trying different shapes for the cage, experiment. But my example is a good starting place.

I tried it with monsterclip and it works. The ragdoll respects the static entity as long as it is an elevator!

On a related note (using elevators to place AI where they normally won't stay):

What does not yet work (as seen by me)  is to convert a model, ie. the rowboat, into an elevator and have an AI sit in it (without using a separate elevator). The AI just falls through the boat, probably already having clipped the collision model. I suspect the AI might be able to be placed high above the boat, but would likely end up levitating above the boat due to the boat having a big rectangular collision model. But, putting a little elevator "cage" in the boat for an AI to sit upon does work. Then comes the issue of making the boat bob and such. If the AI is standing in the boat, the boat bobs, rotates, etc with all of its movers, unhindered. If the AI is sitting, the movement is intermittent and often stops for long periods of time. Since I'm currently working on siegeshop yet again, I think I will temporarily add an AI which does nothing but ride elevators. I'll put a chair in an elevator and have him sit on it when riding to see if elevator movement is impeded.

💡 DOH! The rowboat is such a simple model. Why don't I simply re-create it with brushwork and convert that to an elevator? Haha! A little project for later today.

A basic small rowboat was created out of patches and made intro an elevator. So far tests with an standing AI look pretty good. A sitting AI looks even better until the movers for the boat stop moving.

The AI needs to be a bit more stable, so I will make a flat bottom on the inside of the boat. It needs that anyway to hide the water in the hull. Sitting AI still interfere with the movers the boat is bound too, but I almost have a fisherman standing up which moves smoothly with the boat.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NeonsStyle said:

For me, slowing working through my next map. It's about 2/3 done, and am currently working on the merchants region

of Venice. It's slow progress, as every building has to be custom made, as there's not a lot of room for modules in a Venice

map. 

A city map will be my next challenge after I finish my big outdoor map. Having lived my entire life in places where the oldest buildings date to the mid 1800s, I have absolutely zero real world experience being among medieval architecture. It's a lot easier to modify a big patch into a lumpy stone cliff than to make a good looking building.

• Like 2

Thanks. I'll rework the wiki page soon. Your related AI-sitting experiments are off-topic for that, so won't be included there. But there will be a pointer back to this thread, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geep said:

Thanks. I'll rework the wiki page soon. Your related AI-sitting experiments are off-topic for that, so won't be included there. But there will be a pointer back to this thread, though.

Ahoy Matey!

Eventually, the mover_sliding entity stops working when the AI is sitting, but if the AI is standing then the boat will move back and forth without issue.

No audio due to TDM alsa audio not linking properly into pulseaudio output. So OBS gets no audio even though my speakers do :(

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 3

PranQster, any chance of getting a copy of that setup in a map? Would it work for making a boat bob on waves? Never

used those features in TDM before so a setup would really help. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

3 hours ago, Geep said:

The wiki page "Ragdoll Corpses in Water" is updated, and now with pix. @PranQster, let me know if you'd like any changes (or make them yourself).

Similarly, @angua, I recently made some tweaks and extensions to your "Swimmable Water" page.

Ok. I'll check it out and see if there is anything to add.

3 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

PranQster, any chance of getting a copy of that setup in a map? Would it work for making a boat bob on waves? Never

used those features in TDM before so a setup would really help. 

A boat bobbing on waves is easy. I'll make some prefabs and post here, but I did the following:

For a regular existing boat model to bob, etc. This will rotate, bob, and undulate at the same time:

• Put an existing boat model in the map at its initial position in the water.
  • Create a nodraw textured small brush, I use 4x4x4, and change it into a 'atdm:mover_door'. I set the following properties:
    • 'auto_close_time'  '.15'
    • 'auto_open_time'  '.15'
    • 'frobable'  '0'
    • 'grabable'  '0'
    • 'locked'  ''
    • 'move_time'  '1'
    • 'pickable'  '0'
    • 'rotate'  '0 .35 0'
    • 'snd_close'  'nosound'
    • 'snd_open'  'nosound'
    • 'stop_when_blocked'  '0'
    • 'used_by'  '-'
  • Do the same method for creating an 'func_pendulum' with the following:
    • 'bind'  'atdm_mover_door_5' (obviously, use the name of the mover_door created in the previous step)
    • 'phase'  '2'  (OPTIONAL: best to use 'phase' if there are more than one pendulum in the same area and you want them to be out of sync from each other)
    • 'speed'  '4'  (The lower the value for speed, the less the pendulum will swing)
  • And one more little cube to become an 'func_bobbing':
    • 'bind'  'func_pendulum_1' (your pendulum name)
    • 'height'  '.225'  (play with this for how choppy the water is, along 'speed' value)
    • 'speed'  '1' 
  • Place the 'func_bobbing' and 'func_pendulum' in the center of the boat, at the water line.
  • I placed the mover_door at the shore, where I attached a rope from dock to boat. The mover_door was placed at origin of rope at the dock. This will make the boat rotate in more of an arc in the water. If you want the boat to rotate more in place, put the mover_door under the boat. 
  • Bind the boat to the func_bobbing
  • You should end up with the following binding: boat > bobbing > pendulum > door (rotator)
  • Alternatively, the door entity could be a sliding type to move the boat across the water. Or the func_pendulum could be bound to a mover on a spline to make the boat go wherever you want.

I'll attach my custom 'elevator' boat which an AI can stand upon and ride around.

Attached. AI can ride in the boat_elevator_03.pfb while standing, but sitting will interfere with the entities moving the boat, causing the boat to randomly come to a dead stop.

If an AI is positioned between the seats and given two path corners, stacked directly above him, each with a path_turn and a path_sit, then he can be made to sit on each seat in the boat. All of these path entities were bound to the boat so they aren't left behind when the boat moves. The AI will just turn in place and sit down. Adjust the AI sitting slide distance to get him over the seats and bind some cushions to the boat seats so he doesn't sit in mid air.

I have not yet succeeded in making an AI do regular pathfinding on the boat. I tried to get him to walk from stern to bow and sit on each bench, facing forward. Can't make him move an inch. I even tried an aas_obstacle entity, as found in the 3-floor elevator, but can't get the AI to find a path.

I'll make one more prefab including the movers, etc. already bound to the boat....

And now attached as boat_elevator_ahoymatey_01. Maybe someone can figure out how to make an AI path find whole being dragged around by a mover. In the meantime I'll test with a basic boat with no movers. If I can get AI to pathfind onto a static boat, then portals can be used to replace the AI with one with no paths, and the static boat with a moving one. The moving boat can take that AI to the other side of the river/dock, etc. where another set of portals places a static boat and AI with pathfinding in the new area. 

Better yet, perhaps only the boat itself needs the portal. 

• AI pathfinds onto static boat at dock (no bobbing), triggers timer when entering boat and then portal when AI in position
  • AI gets path_wait with time set for the time of the boat ride
  • Boat replaced via portal with bobbing boat on a mover
  • Bobbing boat moves to other side of the river, carrying the patiently waiting AI
  • AI presence triggers portal to replace boat with no movers
  • AI path_wait times out and sends AI on path on new side of river

This should allow AI to pathfind to a boat, embark, ride, disembark, and continue to pathfind (apparently).

boat_elevator_03.pfb boat_elevator_03.zip

boat_elevator_ahoymatey_01.pfb boat_elevator_ahoymatey_01.zip

Edited by PranQster
Attach files
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Geep said:

The wiki page "Ragdoll Corpses in Water" is updated, and now with pix. @PranQster, let me know if you'd like any changes (or make them yourself).

Similarly, @angua, I recently made some tweaks and extensions to your "Swimmable Water" page.

Suddenly tonight, the ragdoll started falling through the elevator entity. I'm not sure what happened but I can't get the ragdoll to float now. (I had moved it a little ways from where I had created it).

Fixed. I needed to revert the elevator to worldspawn, convert it back to an elevator, and re-bind it to the mover_bobbing. Until I did that, the ragdoll kept falling through.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1