The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@Dragofer, although there's no inherited spawnarg starting with "accel", there is "decel_time". I changed the default value from 0.2 to 2 seconds, and sure enough, I can use a speed of 60 without AI damage. Let's crank this baby up and see what she can do!

• Like 1

Found a way to stop the bobbing boat drifting by just removing the very well hidden door_slider lol Works great now :D

• Like 3

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Blade Runner Blues plays faintly in the background...

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 12:04 AM, NeonsStyle said:

Found a way to stop the bobbing boat drifting by just removing the very well hidden door_slider lol Works great now :D

Aah. Sorry I never got back to that. Glad you fixed it on your own. :)

• Like 2

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job for a first attempt. Note that there are models for windows, supports etc..., so you don't have to build everything from brushes. That adds a bit more detail and speed things up a bit (you have already used some as I see, but there is really tons of stuff). Some of the windows could use frames, though.

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hmm, yes. Good point about the window frames. I'll put a few in now.

As for brushes v models, I bet that'll become a lot quicker when I'm more familiar with what's available and where it's stored. Right now I'm scrolling through lists, looking at things and going "nope, nope, nope, maybe, nope nope, hmmmm, nope, yuk, nope, nope, YES"

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

13 hours ago, thebigh said:

Hmm, yes. Good point about the window frames. I'll put a few in now.

As for brushes v models, I bet that'll become a lot quicker when I'm more familiar with what's available and where it's stored. Right now I'm scrolling through lists, looking at things and going "nope, nope, nope, maybe, nope nope, hmmmm, nope, yuk, nope, nope, YES"

Most list dialogues in DR provide a search function. When the dialogue is your active window, type a search term. 

• Like 2

That's a nice shot, and it does have a good atmosphere - well realised. I also like the premise of the mission; these "escape" missions always tend to be fun.

Don't worry about your unfamiliarity with the asset library. Things will fall into place through practice. Also, very often, less is more - you can achieve good consistency with only a few objects, and that's good for mood as well.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, pusianka said:

Hi there, I picked up blender a week ago(having a little bit of experience with modelling in the past) and I am trying to recreate a building from my home town.

[EDIT UPDATE SCREENSHOT]

dddd.jpg.0fec137d690880c364fcbfe1b4897f26.jpg

I wouldn't mind some tips on keeping clean topology like straight lines and stuff like this... It actually drives me nuts.

[EDIT] Also I am still thinking how to deal with the lower level brick sculpting, would love some suggestions.

Also congrats on the updates, I haven't been here for years but you guys really haven't been just sitting on your asses all this time :D Really nice to see all that.

Older post I know, but my recommendation (from the modeling aspect) would be to use tiling materials for the large faces and model/bake out unique details for pillars, frames and corners on a single UV texture. What you basically could have is a three or four texture building that way, you only would want to focus on the cool detail bits as unique and then use a tiling texture for the upper and lower portions where the wall changes color/features. 

Otherwise it's an easy project for burn out if you don't prioritize what should be left as unique details and what can be fudged with tiling materials. I like to think of it as, frame the thing in with hand crafted details and fill in the gaps with tiling. Very cool building nonetheless, I do hope you push that to completion because it's a very unique and interesting design.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the following video you see a little white cube that's a func_rotating on the x axis, randomishly triggered by a trigger_timer to invert rotation. Bound to that is the red square plane, that's also a func_rotating, but on the z axis. Bound to that is the little blue cube, that's a sliding door (auto open auto close) named Target.

Bat Mechanics

The Bat itself is green in the video and is made up of two wing shaped atdm:mover_door's (auto open auto close) bound to a func_mover named Bat (the body of the bat). With 2 little scripts, activated once by atdm:target_callscriptfunction's, the Bat is following and turnig towards the Target:

void MoveToTarget()

{

float min = 10;
	float max = 20;
 	float rand = min + sys.random(max - min);
    $Bat.time (rand/30);
    $Bat.accelTime (0);
    $Bat.decelTime (0);
	$Bat.moveTo( $Target );
    sys.wait (0.1);
	sys.trigger($ScriptMove);

}

void LookAtTarget()
{
	vector direction=$Bat.getOrigin()-$Target.getWorldOrigin();
	$Bat.setAngles(sys.VecToAngles(-direction)+'0 0 0');
	sys.wait (0.1);
	sys.trigger($ScriptLook);
}

If anyone wants a bat flying around in their mission, just pm me for the model and stuff : )

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1