The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

@AluminumHaste

"bats move so fast you wouldn't be able to see any detail anyways". That is true.

I made a new bat model, a bit bigger (can be scaled down ofc.), still very simple but without the glitches I got from modeling in DR in the smalest grid. Btw, the bat must be triggered one time before it starts hunting, so it could be lurking somewhere and fly out suddenly in front of you with a trigger multiple or something.

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 3

Damn, @STRUNK, I’ve wanted fireflies forever. And those bats, lovely. I can imagine those looking nice on a lamp or torch that has some bugs or flies too. And the fact they cast shadows is super sexy. I want to use both of those, to compliment your already fantastic kitchen assets! I’ll pm ya.

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

• 2 weeks later...

I was working on a random self moving thing that can detect boundries and turn away from them. The boundries work with a stim/response where the stim is the boundry and the respons is on a "sensor" in front of the moving func_mover, that is controlled by the script. The sensor has the response to run a function called Warning (when toutching the stim).

In my small scale test I got it working flawlessly, but when I scaled it up and put boundries tot the walls of a big room things went totally wrong: big drop in framerate and it didn't work flawless at all ... bummer : D

Here is a video of the test setup working at high speed (framerate is down due to OBS running): VIDEO

Here is the script, maybe someone can use (parts of) it in the future for something:

Spoiler

void Warning()
{
    $Target1.stopMoving();
    $Warning.rotate( '0 0 720' );
}

void WarningStop()
{
while (1)
    {
    $Warning.stopRotating();
    sys.waitFrame();
    }
}

void Collision()
{
        $Target1.rotateOnce('0 0 25');
}

void RotateRandom()
{
    float minY = 0;            // Minimal Horizontal Turning Angle
    float maxY = 0;            // Maximal Horizontal Turning Angle
    float Y = minY + sys.random(maxY - minY);

float minZ = -30;        // Minimal Vertical Turning Angle
    float maxZ = 30;        // Maximal Vertical Turning Angle
    float Z = minZ + sys.random(maxZ - minZ);

vector R = ('0 0 0');
    R_y = R_y + Y;
    R_z = R_z + Z;

$Target1.time (0.01);    //Turning Speed (Lower number is higher speed)

$Target1.rotateOnce (R);
    sys.wait(0.01);            //Turning Frequency

}

void Move()
{

$Target1.speed (600);    //Moving Speed (600 seems max safe speed = 10units/frame)
    $Target1.move(REL_LEFT , 20);

}

void Rest()
{

$Target1.move(REL_LEFT , 0);

}

void MoveRest()
{
    float minA = 0;
    float maxA = 1000;
    float A = minA + sys.random(maxA - minA);

if (A>=0&&A<1)
        {
        Rest();
        sys.wait(1);
        }

if (A>=1&&A<2)
        {
        Rest();
        sys.wait(5);
        }

else
        {
        Move();
        }

sys.waitFrame();
}

void MoveRestCol()
{
while(1)
    {
        if ($Warning.isRotating())
        {
        Collision();
        }
        else
        {
        MoveRest();
        }

sys.waitFrame();
    }
}

void RotCol()
{
while(1)
    {
        if ($Warning.isRotating())
        {
        Collision();
        }
        else
        {
        RotateRandom();
        }
    sys.waitFrame();
    }
}

void main()
{
    thread WarningStop();
    thread MoveRestCol();
    thread RotCol();
}

• Like 1

Starting off with some bad news: my hard-drive fried and I lost around 60% of the map I was working on. That sent me on a downward spiral of not wanting to mess with Dark Radiant for months until recently. I've learned the hard way and now I have my files always uploaded to cloud.

The good news is that I started on another personal project. I'm sure most of you will recognize this map. This project will have nothing to do with Thief 2 except for the familiar layout with my own personal touches and missions.

Let me know what you guys think.

Edit: Video is a bit dark, I'll reupload with a better version.

https://youtu.be/pgexOlXv6V0

Edited by refl3ks
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, refl3ks said:

my hard-drive fried and I lost around 60% of the map I was working on. That sent me on a downward spiral of not wanting to mess with Dark Radiant for months until recently.

Oh boy, I totally understand how you feel, as the same thing happened to me 15 years ago, when I was working on an FM for TDS. I had lost almost a year of work. It was so demotivating that I never started a mapping project again after that. 😞 

Good thing you managed better than I to pick yourself up after that. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Looking good, but it definitely needs an ambient_world light.

The map has an ambient_world 😅 .. Seems like my monitor might need some calibration.

6 hours ago, STiFU said:

Oh boy, I totally understand how you feel, as the same thing happened to me 15 years ago, when I was working on an FM for TDS. I had lost almost a year of work. It was so demotivating that I never started a mapping project again after that. 😞 

Good thing you managed better than I to pick yourself up after that. 🙂 

If I had lost a year worth of work, I would have probably had a similar reaction.. I've lost a few of my maps before because of careless file management on my PC, I've just learned to embrace the empty canvas - It's a place of infinite creativity.

Edited by refl3ks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, refl3ks said:

The map has an ambient_world 😅 .. Seems like my monitor might need some calibration.

YT raised the black levels a bit, but there seem to be no details in the shadows. Such skybox would go well with some slightly blueish ambient light.