The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

47 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Very good looking and great atmosphere! 

Did you include customized ambient tracks?

I recommend you to define efx as soon as possible cause it will definitely add to the mood and can become quite tiresome when added once everything has been finished.

Thank you. The EFX is fairly set, the two videos will be re-uploaded as one. Video was rushed and I forgot I had ReShade enabled.

Edit: Yes some tracks are customized. Most tracks and sfx are custom.

37 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Ha, this sounds like my workflow! But looking good though! Keep up the great work

Best workflow for someone that has a plethora of other interests I guess haha.

Edited by refl3ks
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, refl3ks said:

It's been quite a while since I last posted. My work-flow is a bit sporadic.

• Map for 2 months straight
  • Burn out
  • Take a break for 6 months to a year
  • Repeat

Anyways, here is an updated video on some of my progress. I'm roughly 35% finished. I plan on pacing myself somewhat better this time around (I keep saying that and I keep on lying..).

Short updated progress video below:

The Unwelcome Guest - Work in Progress Vid

Older video:

The Unwelcome Guest - 2020

UBWTs0q.png

hUx8h4H.png

aCvPYNX.jpg

This is looking awesome! Getting some strong Life of The Party vibes from this!

5 hours ago, Goldwell said:

This is looking awesome! Getting some strong Life of The Party vibes from this!

Im glad you are! The map is a hybrid of 'Life of The Party' and the Thief 2 Alpha Demo 'Unexpected Guest'.

The Alpha Demo was my introduction to the Thief series. I was bummed out when Life of The Party changed some key areas I loved, especially the Bell Tower location.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, refl3ks said:

Im glad you are! The map is a hybrid of 'Life of The Party' and the Thief 2 Alpha Demo 'Unexpected Guest'.

That was my first thought when looking at the Screenshots. Great work so far!!

• Thanks 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Just a quick comparison screenshot. Currently working on the clock tower.

Note: Fps should be 144 +- once I visportal properly.
I'm running this on an Alienware i9 32gb w/2080, so mileage may vary..

CREWtsT.jpg

Edited by refl3ks
typo
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

Don't wait to visportal, might be to late

I visportal by sections considering the map has some interesting layouts. I'm making sure there are large chunks of brushes behind all complex facades. All my other areas that I've finished are all visportaled and I get an average of 120-150 fps.

Edited by refl3ks
  • Thanks 1

Still chugging along on my mansion level. It's so easy to get disheartened because what you're building looks like poo, but it all looks so much worse in DarkRadiant than it does in game. Even a stark, empty room looks not so awful in the actual game.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Keep at it, don't bite off more than you can chew though!!!!

90% of all mission authors give up after a short time because the project seems insurmountable. It's why the A-Z guide focuses on such a small little mission, it's complete-able in a reasonable amount of time.

• Like 4

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I generally prefer small to medium missions anyway. Give me an hour-long mansion heist any day of the week. They're the missions I like to play, so they're the ones I'll make :)

• Like 4

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

1 hour ago, AluminumHaste said:

Looking good keep it up!
And don't forget, that gameplay and story trumps graphics almost every time.

Thanks! True, story and gameplay are paramount but a decent map layout helps with both obviously.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

14 hours ago, thebigh said:

This is the entry hall to the mansion. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far. Even on my potato computer and with multiple light sources the frame rate is still acceptable.

That's a very good start.

One thing I would suggest paying attention to is the alignment between textures and brush edges. Having a thin sliver of bricks along the top of a wall or above a door is quite unrealistic, because walls are not generally built like that — the builders would need to cut loads of bricks to the right height to fit them in, which would be extremely time-consuming.

Instead, you could use the "fit texture" controls in the Surface Inspector to ensure that an exact number of brick rows is fitted to the wall height, which is how it is typically done in real life.

• Like 1

Heh, yeah, that kind of texture alignment stops registering with me after too long staring at the same scene. Odds are I'll have to do a careful inspection of the whole level's textures at the end just to make sure there's no ugly seams.

A House Call

The House of deLisle