The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Agreed, those plates are good. Most likely it would be best if the cake and plate models were separate. Since TDM already has comparable plate models that are skinable, maybe all that would be needed plate-wise are the new textures, packaged into skins.

For the cake slice, it's possible to imagine a few progressive swapped models with nothing left at the end except a smear of frosting and a few crumbs.

@MirceaKitsune, riffing off the carrot model...

If you had in hand two cake slice models (uneaten and mostly-eaten), then in your entityDef for that cake slice, you would reference "model" and "model_eaten". You'd also set additional spawnargs defaults like:

equippable 1

equip_action_script eat_it

heal_amount <say, 3>

snd_eaten <munch sound shader>

The "eat_it" script function (in tdm_base01.pk4\script\tdm_equip_actions.script) will read those heal, munch, & 2 model spawnargs and pace out the sound effects and model swap.

I imagine if you had a couple more model stages, it wouldn't be hard to make a variant of eat_it to use them.

@Filizitas, if you'd like to create skins for your plate textures, to use on the existing TDM chinaware sets, I can help with that.

For a given plate texture, the first step would be to create a 256x256 (diffuse) image, with the plate circle going edge to edge; white background is good, no transparency needed. TDM wants this in compressed .dds format, as described here: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=DDS_Creation_with_GIMP

While .tga was the traditional starting point for conversion to .dds, GIMP will be happy to start with .jpg or .png as well.

Assuming your plates don't have any raised texture related to the pattern, there's a generic specular image that can be used, so you don't have to supply that (and you can skip the normal/bump map entirely).

If you can get it to .dds, I can take it from there. If that's too heavy a lift, I can do the conversion, but may take a while to get to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, DeTeEff said:

I'm creeping closer to starting the real alpha testing stage of my VIP. Meaning I will play the mission from the beginning as if it was a real mission. I still have some graphical stuff that needs tending to, but gameplay wise, I'm getting closer... I guess it's fair game to send the mission to beta while still working on visual stuff to save time. Or what do you say? Is it too risky? Forgetting some important stuff and releasing a non tested version as finished? 

I think it's better to rush it than to procrastinate because there is no limit to perfection and it bogs everything down until it's never finished.

You'll return later to polish it or you can let someone else do it and you may just approve the changes or modify, reject them as you please.

The most painful is when something is left unfinished and it's never released IMHO.

• Like 2

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I'm more than happy to beta test a mission that still has cosmetic touches to go in. Scripting, gameplay, and balance are all things that can be tested early on.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Sorry if this isn't really directed at TDM but here is a simple boids system that I'm implementing on Dewm3 engine, sorry for the programmer art and the blurry video, will try to record something with more quality. :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w1JIai8QNP3NiF9wBNb_gd73kXhQ5lvU/view?usp=sharing

Boids are used to simulate, bird flocks, fish groups, in large scale, etc.  This boids aren't AI's they are just simple renderEntity_t, they avoid each other, walls and move at different speeds, to simulate slow or sick animals, right now they avoid walls by using the engine ray tracing/testing. Because of that and even thou I did my best to optimize performance, this means that is really not a very fast system but in the video you see 500 boids working with imo good performance, albeit in a very simple scene.

Hope you guys like it.

edit: Better quality video (looks better in fullscreen), a more representative model, for the current boid behavior. Is a relatively highpoly model so performance got a tad lower with it, but still 500 boids. 

Edited by HMart
  • Like 3

Improved the boids/fish behavior a little, now they seam to stay in close groups more often but for some reason, compared to the older system, performance took a nose dive with 500 boids. I don't really know why but I'm trying to find out.

This is not final and still very much WIP.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r5zVyDCl0mfHD_VqRZVPI2CZhjP3a1ge/view?usp=sharing

• Like 4

indeed :D and happy you liked it.    

btw was able to improve performance to be more or less the older system, now stays at 50fps's with 500 boids (the fish model is not optimized also), in real game you would use way less than that.  Still not finished, need to improve collision, specially at corners, because of the way I'm making the ray tracing, sometimes when a boid gets into a level corner it misses collision and gets out of the level into the void... like i said WIP. :) 

• Like 2

Nice! The lighthouse, detailed rock models, and highlights on the sharper rock edges, give this an almost Dishonored vibe. It looks really cool.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

41 minutes ago, thebigh said:

Nice! The lighthouse, detailed rock models, and highlights on the sharper rock edges, give this an almost Dishonored vibe. It looks really cool.

Thanks! That's the benefit of throwing all the detailing at texture data. There's actually very few (separated) meshes in that scene. Most areas are divided into single chunks to save on the draw calls. Currently with the entire scene in view, it clocks at 454 draw calls and 16,625 shadow count. That's the added benefit of a fully modeled scene and having total control. Downside is that with it being all combined, major changes to the layout a very difficult to do when it's all finished. So it forces you to plan well in advance and anything reworked has to fit in the bounds of what you've already made.

• Like 3

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything