The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

That looks major. :) Did you do the wall damage in the second shot with a decal?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

# second shot - where did you get that broken plaster in the wall texture - looks awesome (heh, I see melan has also asked that question)

# that hallway shot with the new wallpaper, looks good but you need some trim along the top of the wall.

# like the new light shader for the diamond window - we badly need more of those for the various windows.

# ah now, that stone floor texture in the shot with the wooden walkway - thats very T3 and I've been hankering for that in like forever :-)

# the cook guy with the hood - would he really be wearing a hood in that situation?

# ah now those new window grates in the garden are reminiscent of T3, and looks awesome.

Very impressive G-man, I hope the release date for this isnt far off..? and if so count me in for beta testing!

Gorgeous images!

Shot00008.jpg! How are those floor lights from the windows done? I want to learn that technique! I've tried of adding texture to my lights using the light inspector but I never got them to look that nice. :(

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I want to learn that technique! I've tried of adding texture to my lights using the light inspector but I never got them to look that nice.

theses are custom light shaders and we need more of them, so when you learn let me know :-)

@Gman, that spiral stairway shot, the light shader need turning through 45 degrees and need noshadow turning off as its shining through the pillar.:-D

Gorgeous images!

Shot00008.jpg! How are those floor lights from the windows done? I want to learn that technique! I've tried of adding texture to my lights using the light inspector but I never got them to look that nice. :(

AFAIR there was a custom light shader tutorial in wiki but couldn't find now or my mind playing tricks on me..

# second shot - where did you get that broken plaster in the wall texture - looks awesome (heh, I see melan has also asked that question)

It's from cgtextures.com. I have a few damage decals I pulled from them and set up for TDM use.

# that hallway shot with the new wallpaper, looks good but you need some trim along the top of the wall.

Ok, I'll look into that.

# like the new light shader for the diamond window - we badly need more of those for the various windows.

Agreed. I made several different ones for different lights, but will only end up using a couple.

# the cook guy with the hood - would he really be wearing a hood in that situation?

The cook is the woman going through the door. Hoodie-guy is the medic stopping by for a bite to eat in the kitchen. He likens himself to an Infirmerer, since he's working in a restored Builder church, so he hides inside his hood.

Very impressive G-man, I hope the release date for this isnt far off..? and if so count me in for beta testing!

It requires 1.08, so when 1.08 is released, I'll go to beta test. You're more than welcome to help me make it TDM-worthy. Thanks!

It's from cgtextures.com. I have a few damage decals I pulled from them and set up for TDM use.

Thought it was from those guys. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Gorgeous images!

Thanks!

I looked at how the existing textures were done and made my own. The art looks like this:

post-3633-0-39200000-1332763725.jpg

which is a copy of the original window with the frame blacked out and color removed, at a size of 128x256.

Placed a tga of this in the 'lights' folder. Named it window_template_5.

Put this in my custom materials/ws1_north.mtr file:

lights/window_template_5
{
{
	map lights/window_template_5
	colored
	zeroClamp
}
}

The 'colored' keyword might not be needed for a grayscale template, but it works so I'm not touching it.

Load up DR and window_template_5 appeared in the texture list for lights.

Created a spotlight using the new texture and tweaked its numbers so it played across the floor. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get rid of the angular shape of the light on the floor. Maybe I should try making the light parallel. Something for the TODO list.

@Gman, that spiral stairway shot, the light shader need turning through 45 degrees and need noshadow turning off as its shining through the pillar.:-D

The moonlight on the stairs is coming from an out-of-frame window to the camera's left.

So what you're seeing is correct.

How about applying a generous blur filter to the shader image?

I looked at how the existing textures were done and made my own. The art looks like this:

oooh thats looks simple enough, will have to look at how you did and then try it with some of the other windows.

You're more than welcome to help me make it TDM-worthy. Thanks!

I'll drop you a Pm then mista!

If you place both, interior light (e.g. torches) and moonlight, aren't this performance killers for every single room? Because more and more lights hit several objects and tris..?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Depends on what is used for moonlight.

1) A large parallel light = Yes, this will kill performance

2) A large ambient light or Ambient_World using location settings for color (etc)... = No this won't be too bad

Also depends on how the brushes are cut.

1) All brushes on the floor and wall are part of the same surface and light counts are cumulative = BAD

2) Brushes are cut right where the torch light radius overlaps the ambient light = Good

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If you place both, interior light (e.g. torches) and moonlight, aren't this performance killers for every single room? Because more and more lights hit several objects and tris..?

Do you mean moonlight from a parallel light, or moonlight from a spotlight in a window?

If the former, then--yes--that drops performance, but only in the room where the parallel light is used (for example, outside in the street or on a rooftop).

If the latter, then--no--it's just another light. And in the rooms where I use this, there's so very little else going on that performance is fine.