The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

It is generally not a good idea to have such a large open space, especially without any height differences. You have got architecture that looks good (the yellow building, the beginnings of the other building to the right) but the scene feels lifeless, too regular. It will also have poor performance if a lot of portals are open (I learned this the hard way).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well, it depends how the portals leaving are done and how much action is going on in there.

My suggestions would be : stretch the building heights. The yellow one on left looks great, but there's not much room between the bottom and top floors (is there an inside yet?). I always like really tall rooms in the bottom of large buildings and more regular sized rooms in higher floors.

you can always squeeze the buildings a bit closer too. Maybe a horse/cart stall in there, a water fountain and some benches.

And those window textures, you can use the bottom 2/3rds to make the windows really tall (looks better then super wide)

a cheesy proposal:

post-1981-0-68665700-1359308360_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I would divide the area with an extension to one of the buildings. Big open spaces are kind of boring. You should also place some AI or other objects for reference to get the scale of things right. Hard to see in your shot but some of the windows seem very large.

The building in the back looks strange but I like the ones left and right.

Well, it depends how the portals leaving are done and how much action is going on in there.

My suggestions would be : stretch the building heights. The yellow one on left looks great, but there's not much room between the bottom and top floors (is there an inside yet?). I always like really tall rooms in the bottom of large buildings and more regular sized rooms in higher floors.

you can always squeeze the buildings a bit closer too. Maybe a horse/cart stall in there, a water fountain and some benches.

And those window textures, you can use the bottom 2/3rds to make the windows really tall (looks better then super wide)

a cheesy proposal:

WOW you fast, thanks alot B)

Very, very cool. :smile:

Looking forward to your release.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Moonbo: verrry good in a colourful way. I hope we will be able to play this relatively soon. :)

Things that have occurred to me:

• a little less uneven ground in the first shot
  • a few decals here and there
  • in the last shot, the carpet texture is scaled up too much, which doesn't help our sense of perspective. Also, the place wouldn't have a carpet in a place where they were doing renovations and replacing windows... even at worst, it would be rolled up in a corner.

But this is all minor stuff.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Is my screen to dark?? Most of the TDM screens posted in this thread consist of many many black patches with some lit and colourful ones. I am the only one? :unsure:

Capela's screen was good to see, but the ones of Moonbo are too dark for me to see :blink:

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

It looks good on my screen and at home (both are LCD displays).

Another WIP shot from the square of Castle, but im out of ideais for the place.

darkmod20130127164804.jpg

Uneven ground will improve scene's look. Like one part slightly lower that the other, maybe some depression at center. And maybe a tree?

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

@ Capela: For large open areas you need something to go in the middle to make it look interesting. My suggestions are a statue, a fountain or a grassy area with bushes and flowers in it. Also surround them with benches so people can sit down and relax. If this is a courtyard for a castle I would go with a large pond and put a statue in the middle.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Thanks for the feedback Melan, I'll go and make those changes. Biker, give me a day or two more just to do some polishing and put in the AI and I'll send it over :-). BTW, Dragon's Claw was a big inspiration for when I was wondering how the hell to fill in the skyline, you must have jammed 50+ buildings into that map!

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Alright, been working on the map a bit more. (new job at night, slowest liquor store in town, so I get to map and get payed for it :) )

I'm definitely in the wrong line of business...

Been working at home too though.

So you'vebeen drinking at home, instead of working with drinks?

Got the Pub in tonight, not finished but it's in and sealed.

Ok, so with all the liquor at work and at home, you take a break and create a .. wait for it ... pub? :o Easy, there, buddy! :D

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm definitely in the wrong line of business...

So you'vebeen drinking at home, instead of working with drinks?

Ok, so with all the liquor at work and at home, you take a break and create a .. wait for it ... pub? :o Easy, there, buddy! :D

What can I say, it's been on my mind a lot lately.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest