The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I quite like where you going with them, and you seem to be putting a lot of effort in getting the lod system to work on this piece, the only suggestion I would give is to avoid making the separation between stones a physical section like it is now, it should probably be no more than a subtle, thin line gap, and the stones should probably be differentiated not by a clear line between them, but by distinct stone color and details, like in the examples below:

6866870086_f2898ec447_b.jpg

Greek%20Columns.xl.jpg

^ anyone else have opinions on that before i get too far ;)

=========

I see where you're coming from, it's a legitimate point.

I personally like the pronounced bevel on the edges. Might not be 'historically correct' but it looks good in game.

I can make it really small but almost seems like a waste of tris then. (and if I do it in a normal map for the high poly it also interferes with easy of skinning - instead of using stones normal it needs a specific one for high and low, and different rock textures, etc..)

If I make a texture specifically to show the cracks (and no geometry) then that limits the use of skins from base materials. The uv's are rotated on each section, so if the texture has any noticeable grain it will be offset and show the splits better. but for such a plain texture as this it really doesn't show.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

alright: opinions needed.

Figured I'd try without the bevels also knocked down a few polys on the trims and reshaped the bottom.

middle one has same poly count, just made the bevels a lot smaller. right one has no bevels (big poly reduction), texture breaks at sections but they are noticeable with a plain texture.

Still think I prefer the original with the new trims.

post-1981-0-37662900-1362272986_thumb.jpg

Hard to say, the image is a bit small and there is no AA, but the middle one seems the best for me, specially or because of the right one doesnt have strong enough section lines in the form of bum maps, and that makes it seem like its a one piece stone.

@Obs - I like the wood structures and small scale of the buildings. There are some projected lights that seem like they could be interesting. Im only missing a background, more buildings in the background, to make it more claustrophobic.

Edited by RPGista

When I think of bigger breaks between the column sections, it makes me think they'd be weathered & crumbly (or should be), and the left one doesn't look as weathered as it should be for that.

But I guess I what I really want is a very weathered version for ancient ruins, and I don't have a strong opinion on the ones here. They'd all work. I like the right or middle one for a classic look maybe. I mean I'd probably use the right one myself, but I wouldn't mind other people using the other ones, since they also look cool in their own way.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Old Habits Sequel

Very nice. Indeed, the rain and similar texture selection evoke Transaction.

A hot hint for you! (And everyone else playing around with rain.)

Check the Transaction .pk4. There you will find a file

sound/sfx/transaction/66472_digifishmusic_rain_on_a_tin_roof_loop.ogg

That will sound great if you put speakers playing it near roofs, so that when the player is under some shelter, they will hear that patter sound. The .ogg is ready-to-use, just make a soundshader for it, you could copy the one from transaction soundshader. Very nice sound: immersion enhancing.

The sound is this one, if you want to hear it without poking .pk4:s.

http://www.freesound...c/sounds/66472/

The sound is under attribution license, so remember to give credit to the sound author.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'm only missing a background, more buildings in the background, to make it more claustrophobic.

This is still WIP, as you can especially see in the second shot. There are still roughly 100 hours of work needed to get this map finished. Maybe even more. In the end it will be at least three times bigger then Old Habits. :smile: Can't wait to check for misaligned textures :D

@Sotha: Thank you, it sounds great. I guess I'm going to use it (if I don't forget it ^_^ ).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Some advices: You could use more different textures, as at the current state everything looks a bit alike. You should also try to add more plasticity by letting the top levels stand a bit out on the outside for example.

The lighting looks good so far, although there are way too much shadows. More lights and a higher variety of light colors should do the job. :smile:

(The texture on the side of the wooden stair in the last shot is misaligned)

I like those lights a lot. Could use a little more detail, but it's going in a good direction.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Some advices: You could use more different textures, as at the current state everything looks a bit alike. You should also try to add more plasticity by letting the top levels stand a bit out on the outside for example.

The lighting looks good so far, although there are way too much shadows. More lights and a higher variety of light colors should do the job. :smile:

(The texture on the side of the wooden stair in the last shot is misaligned)

Same texture - thats on purpose) Lights is yet to be done(

Anyways geometry is 90% done and its looking pretty good, oldschool good) Time for lights and furniture, more chairs!

as for detail --looks like portaling streets is more of a mission imossible, so adding detail will drop performance below 29 at some places((

More bothered what to do with all empty interior spaces. will try place some more chairs here and there)

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

looks like portaling streets is more of a mission impossible

Not neccessarely: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=City_Street_Visportal_Tutorial

• Like 1

SomeTaff,

Nice screens, the areas are cool but I agree, the lack of textures makes it pretty bland. Might be realistic actually, old places were made from local materials and all... But even putting in a large stone texture for foundations (I don't think tall buildings like that would stand very long being all small stones anyway) could break it up alot and give a lot more vertical interest.

Even having some tudor rooms jutting out up high would help a lot. Adding some wood elements.

If you need some help figuring out street portalling before you get too far let me know. You really don't have to worry about how tall they are. That tut linked above shows how you can fake rooftops and stuff easily. In my current project I have actually been going pretty tall with portals. Your streets are narrow (and twisty) enough you shouldn't have any problem getting it optimized very well.

Yeah, if you're gonna go with an "all stone" look, there should probably be at least a few stone trim texture changes at the edges of buildings etc.

I presume this is WIP so perhaps it's a premature suggestion.

Otherwise, where the streets meet the buildings could use some grime (too) if you don't have anything fancier with trim or texture changes planned.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

:P

One small issue left with the texture but I'm calling these done. Spent too much time fighting myself on it. Still need to make smaller versions and entities for LODs. Waiting to hear back from a PM to Tels on that, anyone hear from him lately?

Basically want to see if we can change the LOD code for lowest settings to just force a lower model detail, and quite possibly just force the highest details for the highest settings. That would still leave 3 stages in the middle to swap models at distance.

Not sure about sizes though... it's a lot of work to rescale and make sure everything is aligned properly and whatnot (especially with all the pieces).

I'm contemplating 3 sizes for pillars (these are the size of the current 'huge' pillars). maybe one 75% of this size and one 75% of that.

But most likely I won't do more than 2 sizes of pieces (that's 12 LOD's).

I also want to add a few broken pieces.

post-1981-0-65672400-1362625756_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-21806900-1362625796_thumb.jpg

• Like 1