The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Haha, wow that's huge! Is the whole level to that scale? Since you've already put so much work into it, maybe just work the size into the plot and release it as part of the unusual gameplay contest :-P.

No of course not, only this room is this huge and it can be easy modified, my real problem now its with AI because of the error "Max_reach_per_Area" the ideia of use the caulk texture, its like make a painting and in the end what need to hide it with a pink coulor...

If you get the max reach per area error you should include some visportals in your map.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

My tip is: As soon as you got the basic shapes of your rooms start visportaling them right away. Because if you place many objects and lights or AI your FPS will drop immedeately without having visportals. Test them with the showportals command in the console to see if every one is working correctly. This will save you much time in the end.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Well, with my focus on getting my novella out, there wasn't too much mapping this week. Don't know why but I'm really not happy w/ the area in the last pic...any thoughts on how to spruce it up?

darkmod20130322173418.jpg

darkmod20130322173445.jpg

darkmod20130322173514.jpg

darkmod20130322173556.jpg

darkmod20130322173609.jpg

Edited by Moonbo
  • Like 4

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Those look really atmospheric.

Be sure to test that the AI can navigate that narrow corridor in the last picture, so that nasty surprises won't crop up.

Also I'm giving an Official Commendation for the vertical use: very often mappers get stuck in xy dimension only. You have some flesh and something to look at in the up/down directions too.

Last screenshot looks fine to me. Like people said, it needs few small details to make it look a bit organic.

Also, you could increase the complexity a bit. I mean, remove the straightness with some structures on the walls. Now it looks like the corridor was cut using a LASER. Maybe small niches or pillars just few units wide:

http://farm7.staticf...835785ea6_z.jpg

See how the side walls are not completely straight, but there is some low-shallowness detail structure on the sides: low height piles, maybe pillars, possibly a single arch into the middle, boot height low wall indentation... Some of these would make it more interesting. Thus, maybe widen the corridor just a bit and use the added space to make small detail structures on the walls.

For gameplay purposes, a deeper niche would be useful for dodging those nasty guards. Corridors that are so cramped are very scary for a thief. Few hiding spots should be added if there are long distance of these corridors to cover. (Don't make it too easy either, though ;))

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Looks amazing. Definetily an improvement. Can't wait to play it :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I already hate this place.. So many noisy floors=).

Now seriously: Looks great!

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

The Bridgeport Museum foyer with suggested additions:

That more like it, very impressive.

But imho:

• I would change the dark marble on the lower level and stairs to wood to match the ceiling. (That much marble would cost a fortune even for a museum and structurally the stairs wouldn't stand up to the weight of all the stone & marble)
  • The upper floor and bannister should be wood also.
  • The projection light on the floor should be raised up a bit on its own plinth.

@Sir Taffsalot, usually i dont comment others people maps, bacause i think everyone as his on style, and because i know how much work every screenshot put here means, alot of work thats for sure, but i would like to see that shots with the final light, and not with some light just to everyone can see without complain its to dark.....

Ha..and that fps are awesome, can you put your hardware spec.....

Edited by Capela

@ Biker: You are probably right. I had this vision in my head of what I wanted the museum foyer to look like and I just ran with it. In the end I really like it. It's still early days with the musuem. I've only done the foyer and the skeleton of a few rooms. I might change some of the marble in the foyer to wood before I wrap things up and see if I prefer it. In the other rooms I've been working on I've deliberately toned the marble down. I guess I wanted the museum foyer to look really grand and impressive even if it is a bit unrealistic.

@ Capela: The good FPS has nothing to do with my specs. It's because apart from the walls, floor, ceiling, statues, lights and steampunk gears, everything has been turned into one big "func_static".

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@ Springheel: Just a thought but a section of the museum is going to be simular to a library. I was going to call it the Historical Literature section. I was wondering if you would like to contribute a readable or two about the history of Bridgeport? I could do my own take on it but Bridgeport is the vision of yourself and the rest of the TDM team.

The Joker

Delightfully extravagant.

The color world is very chilly, most likely intentionally.

The triscount is going to be huge in that area... I hope you get it to perform well even with AI present.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@ Springheel: Just a thought but a section of the museum is going to be simular to a library. I was going to call it the Historical Literature section. I was wondering if you would like to contribute a readable or two about the history of Bridgeport? I could do my own take on it but Bridgeport is the vision of yourself and the rest of the TDM team.

I'm super busy right now with standalone stuff, but I might be able to put something together if it isn't needed in the next couple weeks.

My question about the museum was because modern, public museums are pretty anachronistic. "Bridgeport" can't own anything, it's just a city, and a city that spent tax money on a huge marble building to put rich valuables in would be burned to the ground by angry mobs. Museums didn't really exist before the early 1800s, and they were almost always collections of wealthy eccentrics who wanted to display their trophy heads and collections of art and artefacts to their wealthy friends. Letting average people pay to come in was actually introduced by PT Barnum, and those early public museums were more freak shows than educational institutions.

A museum that was anything like a modern one would have to be owned by someone VERY rich, or possibly a wealthy university.

I'm confident that my campaign will be finished late this year or early next year. If you would like to contribute a readable or two then any time this year would be fine so no rush.

The museum is financed by the Inventors Guild and a group of the aristocracy. It houses art and historical artefacts. Most of it's contents are provided by the Inventors Guild due their creative nature (hence the large steampunk modern art sculpture in the foyer. Most of it's funding comes from the aristocracy who are happy to pay extra-ordinary amounts of money for it's contents so they can use them as status symbols to show people how rich they are.

Yes I know having a musuem in Bridgeport requires a certain suspension of disbelief but Thief and T2X had one so I figured why not TDM? Besides if you can allow steam robots in TDM world then I dont think a museum is that much of a stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

Arguably, a lot of the real world wasn't 'realistic' - you always find outliers and odd things.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved