The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I am half tempted to do a "and this is a video of how to do this in DR"...

Funny, thought the same thing :smile:

But I guess if I would encounter such a skewed house in a TDM FM, I would think the mapper was on drugs.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

My kneejerk method would be a tradeoff between the line-of-sight length and geometry complexity. If I wanted a long row of houses, I'd make them rather simple. If I wanted an extravagant building, I'd have it in a smaller enclosed area / leaf that's not going to render too much else from other streets.

The catch, of course, is that when you have that kind of extravagant building, you want to show it off the right way, with a grand entrance... like the way Saturnine introduced the mansion in Rose Cottage. I'm wanting a building to emerge around a corner like that, so I'm thinking about the issue right now.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm curious if we could use CODRadiant with TDM textures to create maps for TDM?

I'm sorry I know nothing about it. I know that in order to run maps from Quake games in Doom 3 you need to convert them using some software.

How much impact on the tris count is all that softening up?

An example:

post-2001-0-82104700-1372349059_thumb.png

Look's a bit like wonderland, everything is skewed. ;)

Actually, it's pretty realistic.

It's only a model...

Actually, it's pretty realistic.

In a game it doesn't matter if something is realistic, but if it looks realistic. ;)

Looks right to me. Perfectly straight lines are something that requires some suspension of disbelief while playing.

Old houses are full of irregularities and odd angles. Before standardised building and especially before exact plans, most buildings not built by rich people were like that.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm sorry I know nothing about it. I know that in order to run maps from Quake games in Doom 3 you need to convert them using some software.

Well I gues we'll just make due :) Are there plans to migrate TDM to Id Tech5 when its released out in to the wild? I realize this is why BFG doesn't work with TDM and the capabilities in Tech5 look impressive.

Nice...!!! maybe a bit too clean though and possible have stone pillars as I can see wooden one holding all that weight..?

Ive got some new textures from vigil that i need to convert into TDM format that would be perfect for the above pillars.

You could think of them as stone pillars with wood on them ;)

• Like 1

@AH, is the performance better, or do you just think it's a better map with the reduced size?

Do you still have the map files for the bigger size, for posterity?

Re: idTech4 -- Moving to another engine will always been out of the question. But for the record, I'm not sure idTech 5 is really all that better anyway. When you jerk the camera the textures noticeably pop-in. You lose the unified lighting system. And I think a lot of the mapping is done in a modeler, and then dealing with the megatextures, it's not as good for the kinds of mappers we have & maps we make.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

in what way ?

I was speaking in terms of what the editor can do. Of course the same functionality could be built in to Dark Radiant and I'm just unaware of it presently. I'm basically talking out my ass here so please don't be alarmed or get excited. Its not a criticism. I'm just learning DR and I've been looking at many different tutorial videos and CODRadiant, it seems (to me), has some useful tools we could use to make the environment look more organic, specifically in the area of patch manipulation and alpha blend and the ease with which those things can be used.

Coming from a Mastercam background I'm also partial to a 3D window manipulation approach. Orthogonal views are extremely useful for many many things so don't get me wrong here. Precise alignment to grid is much easier for instance. I'm just asking to be asking I guess.

Edited by Lux

@AH, is the performance better, or do you just think it's a better map with the reduced size?

Do you still have the map files for the bigger size, for posterity?

Yeah the performance is way better, especially since I changed out those double candles for 1 electric light, all those shadows was killing performance.

And I think the gameplay will be more accessible for my meager abilities, I was having a lot of trouble envisioning some gameplay on the original cathedral.

I do have the original map still, if anybody wants it just let me know.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Thanks, Kvorning. I just wanted to show that I've actually been doing something. Slowly but surely.

The more I make, the slower progress seems to get. Maybe it's probably partly the more experienced mind, that sees more of the bigger picture and partly because towards the end, all the big pieces are in place already. Either way, it'll surely add up to something great in the end^^