The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Well, you can hear it by the sound. And there could also be a note added on screen to tell the layer which key was used.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

too much automation is also not good

Agreed. I wouldn't personally like the game to do those things for me.

I'd personally be in favour of something like a keyring, done by something like a hidden objective that when you have x and y keys, it removes them from your inventory and gives you keyring z that opens both, that way the game isn't realllly holding your hand, but at the same time you aren't left with an inventory hell of 20 readables and 15 keys to cycle through.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I kind of like the way it is, personally. Yes it is a bit cumbersome at times however that does invoke time management in to the game. If you're going to sneak through the light past a guard to unlock a door, it has to be planned a bit. You can't just get to the door and then fumble your way through your keys and find the one you need then because you don't have time. There's a cost associated with it now and that favors the prepared thief.

• Like 1

I thought for a second that the warped glass was actually water. I was going to say that it didn't seem like a very effective helmet.

Haha I was thinking the same thing! Or perhaps it is a half fish-half man and he needs water to breath :o

But that scuba suit looks really awesome so far! Are you going to be making an FM featuring it ERH?

I kind of like the way it is, personally. Yes it is a bit cumbersome at times however that does invoke time management in to the game. If you're going to sneak through the light past a guard to unlock a door, it has to be planned a bit. You can't just get to the door and then fumble your way through your keys and find the one you need then because you don't have time. There's a cost associated with it now and that favors the prepared thief.

But this only works if the mission author makes it clear which doors can be opened by which key. As most missions don't even have a mpa you have to try it out anyways.

@ERH+ - my only suggestion is because of time period as the tanks themselves look a bit modern. Dual smaller cylinder tanks are much later in the time line. I was leaning towards a single (a bit larger) tank and possibly with a more steam punk asthetic like ornamental metal bands wrapped around them and maybe a guage or two attached near the piping at the top. Something downscaled a bit from what a big daddy wears. Don't forget the lead weighted belts! :)

mcV9EAJ9i_kjaaMYBoGXX3Q.jpg

Its an undertaking to create the models though, so I'm not saying you should rework the entire thing cause they do look good if maybe a little out of place. Certainly interesting and intriguing the FM premise you've chosen.

• Like 1

It is a pretty cool helmet. I'd maybe use a different kind of glass: no way the guys are seeing anything from the inside.

Bioshock type big daddy helmet would be perfect! A deep diving suit helmet, that is:

http://p2.la-img.com...6054128_1_l.jpg

Very steampunkish, if you ask me! The round viewports are very aesthetic and mechanically needed to sustain pressure.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If the occupant of the suit is undead, no need to see out of the glass. I'd say its a stylistic choice depending on your POV and intentions.

That would be pretty freaky looking, an undead character in a diving suit with the helmet half chipped away and rusted. Imagine discovering that under the water!

As they say: "Eeep."

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That diving helmet looks good, but it will have to models in blender to remove all the weird surface reflections/shadows etc. And either Springheel or someone else good at making Ai models will have to knock a matching diving suit.

And that raises the question, we will had a spawnarg to stop the Ai from drowning.

But back to the original -breathing helmet on the builder, we should keep that for Ai that have to work in toxic enviroments.

@ERH+: Did you build the helmet using brushes or patches? (It looks like brushes).