The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

It's pretty cool, though awfully modern for the default TDM setting. Looks 1950s to me.

This is the earliest human-shaped suit, from 1882 (would make a pretty awesome steam-bot!)

Scaphandre_Carmagnolle_MnM_Paris.jpg

• Like 2

You'd want to make them immune to gas KOs as well; undead use that spawnarg too.

@ERH+: Did you build the helmet using brushes or patches? (It looks like brushes).

Patches, but in lowest grid their soft (green) vertices refuse to bend surface. To make a rounded shape I need to place several vertices manually.

S2wtMNl.gif

Increase the patch subdivision in the patch inspector (shift+s).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm reading through Fidcal's A-Z tutorial, to see how long a mission will take, and how quickly I'm able to pick up the process. The answers to those questions will determine whether or not I'm able to devote much effort to this.

I...have a room so far. Hollowed out and everything. Fear my prowess.

I think the tut tries to help you recreate "Thief's Den" but I'm going to try to alter enough things that it will be a unique mission. Though it will undoubtedly be very Thief's Den-esque, provided I make it to completion. Wish me luck.

Edited by Digi
  • Like 3

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

You can make very simple missions rather quickly (The Outpost was made in a week and Fiasco at Fauchard's was made in 3). The key is just to keep it simple and not get carried away (which is way more difficult than it sounds).

• Like 1

You can make very simple missions rather quickly (The Outpost was made in a week and Fiasco at Fauchard's was made in 3). The key is just to keep it simple and not get carried away (which is way more difficult than it sounds).

Hopefully that won't be an issue yet. My imagination and ambition will likely be tempered by my lack of technical expertise. But thanks.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Fiasco at Fauchard Street was made in eleven days, although I had prior editing experience and worked pretty intensively. Still, many of the lessons can be relevant to you, and you can see the building process documented in this thread (my current set of prefabs is available here). As long as you don't let yourself get carried away, you can probably create a simple, fun mission in a week or two by following the ideas in the tutorial. I think these kinds of FMs would be received well.

Granted, getting carried away is a lot of fun, which is why it happens to many of us.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Fiasco at Fauchard Street was made in eleven days, although I had prior editing experience and worked pretty intensively. Still, many of the lessons can be relevant to you, and you can see the building process documented in this thread (my current set of prefabs is available here). As long as you don't let yourself get carried away, you can probably create a simple, fun mission in a week or two by following the ideas in the tutorial. I think these kinds of FMs would be received well.

Granted, getting carried away is a lot of fun, which is why it happens to many of us.

That thread was actually the inspiration for my attempt, though at this point I'm really just learning the terminology and tools, not attempts a speed building run. I'd quickly want to "do too much" as you say, so it's a trap I'm sure I could fall into. If I manage to familiarize myself with the process, my output will undoubtedly be glacial after the first baby step missions. I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

I also DLd your prefabs, thank you.

That thread was actually the inspiration for my attempt, though at this point I'm really just learning the terminology and tools, not attempts a speed building run. I'd quickly want to "do too much" as you say, so it's a trap I'm sure I could fall into. If I manage to familiarize myself with the process, my output will undoubtedly be glacial after the first baby step missions. I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

I also DLd your prefabs, thank you.

Also I don't know if you're aware but the game comes with a whole heap of prefabs. Just extract the file "tdm_prefabs01.pk4" which is found in the base directory. You can use winrar to extract .pk4's btw.

Hope that helps too! ;)

Also I don't know if you're aware but the game comes with a whole heap of prefabs. Just extract the file "tdm_prefabs01.pk4" which is found in the base directory. You can use winrar to extract .pk4's btw.

Hope that helps too! ;)

I'm sure it will. Thanks!

Discovering the patch inspector has lead to some improvements in rather unexpected areas.

post-16287-0-98023100-1399622370_thumb.png

Edited by Goldwell

Damn you guys critic everything! Even poop! ... but I have scaled it back now and the reason why it didn't have a noshadows 1 on it was because you can't use the patch inspector on a func_static so I have to do it in worldspawn before converting it otherwise it doesn't work.