The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

One of the thing i realy like it in TDS was the shop´s system, were Garrett could sell and buy objects and information, if i remember could even add more objectives in that mission. Can we do that in TDM or what @AB is showing in the post is him trying to do something like that?

It is possible to do a physical shop inside TDM however the problems lies in making the mission big enough to warrant multiple returns. I have thought about doing something like that such as just a big free open city with a store that the player returns to when they need more loot, but it's a lot to undertake for just one person however it is definitely possible.

@AB is showing in the post is him trying to do something like that?

That's basically exactly what I'm doing, only in the menus rather than in the game world. As Goldwell said, it's easy to do but never really useful or practical.

Exactly, and the briefing will be used to describe the player's findings when casing the place prior to making their way in. Things like what kinds of lights they use, how easy the doors are, what kind of guards they have posted etc. You'd have to use that to try and figure out what favors would be helpful to call in. It could be tips, maps, ammo, removal of guards, proppings open of doors, pretty much anything the engine is capable of. Some come with extra objectives (like returning the key) and others may open passages that are completely inaccessible without buying them. Replay value will hopefully be off the charts. The objectives will graded by difficulty, and it's safe to assume that those of higher difficulty pay better, the trade-off being the fact that you then have to complete them. The more money you make, the more favors you can buy for the next heist in the campaign. Loot carried over will be divided by a high value to translate back into favors in order to stay consistent while rewarding those who find more stuff.

• Like 2

It is an excellent idea, and I wish more missions did something with it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Looks good! I might make the texture scale on the wood on the top level a little less so the boards aren't so thick, but I like it overall.

I'm getting some real Old West vibes from that screenshot.

The @AB ideia it will fit this mission like a charm.

Oh my, feel free to grab me if you get stuck implementing it.

Edited by Airship Ballet

hello @V.One, can you tell me how much hours you think you need it to make the first room...first pic. Im curious to know, i never did something like that.

Well, I wasn't counting, and I was still getting used to DarkRadiant at the time (still am, indeed), but I don't think it was very many. It's basically a textured box with various models and moveables arranged inside. The curtains are something I found among the prefabs that come with TDM, but I did have to make the frame for them. The light sources are stock ones. The only major change during creation was that the ceiling used to be higher.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I am currently populating the previous Vengeance maps with a few new areas so I can justify re-packaging them into a new campaign. I've furnished the inside of the cathedral from A Pawn in the Game. As a regular of the Whitby Gothic Weekend I used the ruins of the Whitby Abbey as inspiration. Somewhat of an attempt to restore it to it's to it's former glory.

Great work Sir Taffs and what a fantastic idea! I love that place. I went to half a dozen WGWs myself back in the day. Back when we were still allowed to party in the graveyard on top of the cliff all night :)

thought you lot would like to see what Ive been upto...

Finger muscles expand. Chemical reactions in the elbow directed by the central nervous system cause upper arm to drift. Hand reaches computer pointing device. Finger muscles contract, gripping the pointing device. Arm moves slightly, dragging the pointing device and affecting an on-screen virtual position representation, called a cursor. Cursor reaches an HTML anchor element labelled "Like This". Index finger downward pressure initiated. A mechanical button is pressed once, sending an electronic signal to the computing system. JavaScript event listener intercepts the normal behavior of the HTML anchor element. The user's Web browser begins communicating with the TDM Forums server using Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. A response is received, updating the anchor and adding to a list of users that did the exact same thing in just a second.

• Like 1

Finger muscles expand. Chemical reactions in the elbow directed by the central nervous system cause upper arm to drift. Hand reaches computer pointing device. Finger muscles contract, gripping the pointing device. Arm moves slightly, dragging the pointing device and affecting an on-screen virtual position representation, called a cursor. Cursor reaches an HTML anchor element labelled "Like This". Index finger downward pressure initiated. A mechanical button is pressed once, sending an electronic signal to the computing system. JavaScript event listener intercepts the normal behavior of the HTML anchor element. The user's Web browser begins communicating with the TDM Forums server using Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. A response is received, updating the anchor and adding to a list of users that did the exact same thing in just a second.

1. Finger action is controlled by muscles in the forearm. Tendons run through the wrist and connect them with the finger.

2. Muscle don't expand, they contract.

3. The CNS itself uses a chemical reaction to send signals.

4. The chemical reaction you're talking about (the one that makes muscles contract) occurs within the muscle itself, not in the elbow (though some forearm muscles do extend beyond the elbow).

/nerd

• Like 3

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Bloody typical! I post a couple of nice screenshots and Bikerdude or Moonbo posts some screens that blow my stuff right out of the water! :angry:

I'm just kidding. That's awesome stuff as usual. Your work is always an inspiration to me.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@ Capela: I love the harbor theme you have going on. But your windows need to be pulled in so they are not level with the walls, have a wooden frame around them or both.

Also the ambient world light seems way too bright to me. I'd tone it down a bit and give your in game lights a chance to shine as they would naturally.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

@ Capela: I love the harbor theme you have going on. But your windows need to be pulled in so they are not level with the walls, have a wooden frame around them or both.

Also the ambient world light seems way too bright to me. I'd tone it down a bit and give your in game lights a chance to shine as they would naturally.

Thanks for your advice they are always welcome. Im just try to do architecture first, only when im sure where thief will operate i will get more detail.

About the ambient world light is too bright because for screenshots and its easy to see in game any Brush..Patch... problems. In fact i just post some images because its important to me to receive some feedback and it make me feels that im here to participate in something great that is this community.

About Bikerdude, there work its great, and an inspiration. Im carefull taking notes... :ph34r:

@ capela: You did some nice screen shots a few months back and then disappeared. I thought that maybe you gave up which was a shame as you showed so much promise. please stick with it as your screens show that you have an ability for creating art in DR.

The Joker