The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Thief didn't have trains either, although some well-known fan missions (and T2X!) did, and T2 had the Cetus Amicus, which was even more advanced technology.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with these screenshots. They are excellent!

T2 also had robots. That is even more advanced. But even if trains are not so advanced they have huge impact on how society works. As i see now TDM society is very closed. People are limited to one city mostly. They generally live their whole life on one place.

When you have trains people move freely around. That changes society, inventions spreads... As Springheel said its just not the same anymore.

BTW train looks great. Feels like walking on Orient express.

Hi all!

Are those core TDM textures?

The seats look like they're imported from separate modelling software, I am correct?

Also, the wood textures you are using are simply sublime! They're custom, right?

Those are all custom models and textures (with rare exceptions, like window glass or the grass texture outside).

Also I dont know if you have done it yet but how did you get the outside moving past the window? I know someone had it worked out where I guess the train was stationary but the outside was moving giving the illusion that the train was actually moving

It was me. I made the early version of this train for Shadowhide but he didn't want to continue working on it, so I did.

The train is static and the terrain outside is moving towards the train. The terrain consists of fragments having equal length which are spawned by a script in semi-random order (semi-random - because the script watches next fragment fitted the previous one and there were no holes in the ground). There are 14 different pieces of the ground (7 left and 7 right), so some variety of the landscape is obtained. There are also trees on the ground - they are combined in small groves for increasing performance (which actually is not too high).

Thanks everyone for your comments!

• Like 2

Somewhere, deep in a forest of the harsh north...Of Brambles and Thorns

(There are some first lights and interiors, to see what things would look like. It also has a working title now)

Love the stairs.

I'm loving Constantine's and Dragofer's shots, they both ooze with a mapping style I absolutely adore. In ways they remind me of Resident Evil Remake for some reason, possibly because of their mix of a wooden texture scheme and rich lighting and Dragofer's shots in particular feel somewhat survival horror-esque to me.

• Like 1

What has happened here? A struggle between two foes...or something else entirely?

9d6k8gxdb61wio56g.jpg

That is how you do detailing in a level, a professional level designer always imagines a story for the rooms they make, what room is it, for what was it used, who used it and why, what kind of person was him, a clean one or one that makes a mess, how many people walked on it, is it cleaned often or not, etc, you can imagine anything it just needs to make sense inside the story of your mission.

• Like 2

I wanted to get to grips with the Legend of Grimrock 2 editor but couldn't come up with any sort of plan. A valiant hero provided me with this and then I made this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhl7PCUrr4&feature=youtu.be

Any Ultima Underworld enthusiasts wanna draw some maps? ;)

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 3

Just be wary of having to many over lapping lights as it will kill perf.

You can just counter that with no shadow textures ;):P

Looking good. I guess the light particles are temporary.

For the three candle stands there is a suiting particle available (as well as a fitting light texture). For the large one I don't know, though.

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Not if both light sources are hitting the same surface.

It was a joke referencing the hour+ we spent recently trying to fix those light bleed (and consequently overlapping lights) issue I had in my map.

• Like 1

After finishing Siege Shop 4, I have fixed an issue in Samhain Night which caused an AI death. I also went ahead and adjusted lights, changed textures, adjusted patches, and removed extra models which have since become redundant. I have a few more lighting adjustments and texture tweaks (it's about time for someone to re-do the spider-web decals, which are currently rather low-res) and then it should be ready for release.

Awaiting the beta test report from my minion ;)

• Like 2

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

@moonbo those shots look very cool, makes me curious how the rest of your FM will play out ;)

In terms of criticism I found the only thing that niggled at me from the screenshots were those lights casting vertically up the wall which can be seen in shots 2,4 & 5. It just looks a bit out of place to me to have the light cast so high, other than that very impressive work as usual Moonbo

@Moonbo, those images look incredible!

If I may suggest something, I really think that the general atmosphere of the area could benefit from being shrouded in fog or mist. It would make the jumps (as seen in shot 5) become incredibly perilous, even more so if those rocky platforms moved.

Just my thoughts...