The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

What I'm working on? Making a new map. My old one was too large (wayyy before I learned about visportals, and I'd have to redo significant chunks of it to make it work, might as well start fresh) and I wasn't happy with how it was panning out, I kinda got stuck into a never ending feature creep/experimentation phase, and despite nearly doubling the map in size it got no further towards being finished... and it felt very un-thief.. way too open, like I was taking a stroll down the road outside IRL. Maybe I'll have something done in time for the next Christmas event! Have another couple of concepts I'm working on... ones I haven't seen done yet!

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

...like I was taking a stroll down the road outside IRL.

Are you sure that's not just a side-effect of the added realism of the Doom 3 engine :laugh:...

Maybe Fidcal would be interested in your work as fixer-upper (like with the Alchemist) if you've absolutely given up on it... :blink:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Are you sure that's not just a side-effect of the added realism of the Doom 3 engine :laugh:...

Maybe Fidcal would be interested in your work as fixer-upper (like with the Alchemist) if you've absolutely given up on it... :blink:

The problem was, it was my tutorial map, that I just kept adding to. So the 'hub' area is a HUGE open air environment with multiple ai's in it... with my 1gb 5850, I get 17 fps looking from one end of the hub to the other... my friend on a much worse pc couldn't stand to test it due to the lag. Dunno how you visportal something 5-6 houses wide... without a redesign severe enough to make me throw up my hands and start again. I'd wager Fidcal wouldn't want my map, theres nothing special in it. The objectives are barely 1/3 implemented, and 2 of them are walk into room and pick up item (I placed them, then was moving them further through the areas as I made them).. not to mention my laughable attempt at a patch.

I got too excited, and let feature creep destroy my map. It didn't feel claustrophobic at all, no Thiefy feeling to it. Even after I 'compressed' it, it was still horrible. I think I'll keep this on hand as a 'what NOT to do next time' example.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Dont mind me I just like having more FMS to try out :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When I was in high-school I gained a certain amount of mastery at drawing. At some point after that I began to run out of creative juice. I often found that if someone scribbled something and asked me to "improve it" this spark would give me ideas to continue on and create cool stuff. I ran into the same thing when I became a musician in college, I often needed some riff or motif to start the process.

I suspect that Fidcal might work the same way in some respects...

If so, hand in your scribbles folks! :laugh:

(Not that I'm calling Sotha's work a scribble... this is why I'm introverted... foot-in-mouth syndrome... :wacko: )

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I am working on a mansion partly inspired by Rose Red (Stephen King). The player is unaware of this in the beginning, however. It is presented as a simple rob-this-estate mission at first, but then things occur which one cannot explain.

1) You enter a room, all the torches are lit. Exit the room, and some random time later the torches will be extinguished.

2) You enter a room, take notice of the surroundings. You return some time later to find one furniture/whatever to be changed/disturbed; say, a table overturned.

3) Things could be thrown at random, although taking great care not to do it near the player. It mustn't be too obvious, but imagine a boot being thrown some meters behind the player. He will hear the crash, and look behind, seeing the boot has travelled some distance.

That, coupled with carefull hints through readables, ambient sound, etc. will cause a great creeping tension. The mission will be abit like an old Resident Evil game, by which you had to travel all over the estate several times through various puzzles; eventually you remembered most details, and got freaked out if somethnig was amiss. Don't worry there won't be any undead or alike though, but the tension will hopefully kill you nonetheless!

Really gorgeous stuff, biker. It's truly hard to believe you're relatively "new" at mapping. :thumb:

A shame these don't get posted at TTLG. ('course, someone could post in your stead... ;))

Im off to the music shop to get some guitar string to clean the pilot jets on my carbs...

Crap. I'm going to be trying to figure that one out all day.

Edit: nope!

Check yer PM's your part of the FPS alpha testing group....

Ah, thanks, Biker.

I got that popping up on me the other day and figured I'd maybe accidentally clicked on some link that activated me thataway. (I do a lot of middle-mouse-button-pan-and-scan-floating-about-fast-scrolling browsing, which calls for "stopping" by left-clicks, which, in turn, occasionally hit on a link or summat...)

I do appreciate the invite, but I gotta play this mission of yours as unspoiled as possible and can't bring myself to beta or alpha for you... sorry. Not this time at least, because I've made up my mind that (barring it being too damned big to move! ;) ) this will be your first (only your second overall?) showcase/masterpiece. What with what we'd seen before of those inky, watery caves etc. AND the ungoliant and Serp co-op additons? Get outta here. I'm playing this one as a player.

So hurry up! :laugh:

But, really, thanks, for the invite and thanks in advance for the mission to come.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

this will be your first (only your second overall?) showcase/masterpiece.

This will be my second mission and its a lot bigger than the first. But re the storyline, its up in the air atm as ungolant is having RL problems (job/digs) etc. But that said he has given me a good start - you can blame him for the inclusion of the cathedral and the delay in releasing it. lol

So basically you need someone who...

2. Can write a good story.
  3. Can write good readables to back it up.
  4. Is reliable and not likely to wander off after a day or two.
  5. Is willing to study this alpha version in detail to see how it all works so he can write the story and so totally spoil his chances of playing it new in the future.
  6. Doesn't want paying.
  7. Isn't too busy with other stuff.

<sound of stampeding feet leaving the building>

1. Can write a good story.
  2. Can write good readables to back it up.
  3. Is reliable and not likely to wander off after a day or two.
  4. Is willing to study this alpha version in detail to see how it all works so he can write the story and so totally spoil his chances of playing it new in the future.
  5. Doesn't want paying.
  6. Isn't too busy with other stuff.

that would be me, minus #6. as biker said, there have been some problems irl, but hopefully I can get situated, and see this FM through to the glorious end. I will be continuing to work on this FM as I can.

Edited by ungoliant

The foliage outdoors (all those vines!) and the lived-in feel of the interior shots are very well implemented. But I particularly like the stone banister in the first shot - that's just elegant. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved