The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

It's so awesome!!!!!!!

That screenshot turned out awesome!!!

But, quality could be better, try this if you can.

Add this to your darkmod.cfg

bind "F12" "g_stopTime 1; g_showHud 0; r_volumetricSamples 64; r_multisamples 8; wait; wait; screenshot 1920 1080 32; r_multisamples 0; r_volumetricSamples 8; g_showHud 1; g_stopTime 0"

Make sure you don't move your mouse while it's doing the screenshot.

• Like 2

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I'm late to the party, but that volumetric lighting looks really cool! I can imagine it adding a lot of atmosphere to levels in a lot of different ways. Good work, team!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:54 PM, AluminumHaste said:

It varies quite a bit. Depends a lot on your hardware but also game settings.

Using 8 samples looks ok and performs well,  but changing that to 32 or 64 can have a huge performance hit.

I hope my old gtx760 can handle it (it works fine with soft shadows maxed)

On 1/19/2022 at 7:54 PM, AluminumHaste said:

Using 8 samples looks ok and performs well,  but changing that to 32 or 64 can have a huge performance hit.

That's one reason why there is no menu setting for this 😁

On default settings, volumetric lights should not cause much more trouble if you can play with shadow maps well (especially if you can play with maxed soft shadows quality).
But in some cases (especially with sharp shadows) the effect might look "noisy" due to dithering. We hope to fix it for 2.11 without harming performance.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

Dragofer made a change in the AnimalPatrolTask.cpp that is already available in the latest source code, but not yet as a normal upate via the installer, as far as I understand.

It should definitely be in 2.10b5, which came out quite recently and is available from the installer like all other beta builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help you create the .lwo or .ase models and related textures, but once that's done, 3 entityDefs would be needed, for the whole cake, cake with slice out, and the slice itself. Suggestions for that next.

Spoiler

There's an existing "cake" entityDef (with a texture really more like a round bread loaf) that could copied and renamed (say, as "iced_cake") to create your own for the whole cake. And "cheese_wedge", "cheese_wheel" as useful examples too.

Note that the existing bread-like cake model does not include a plate under it. A drippy iced cake like yours would always have a platter or plate. Whether that's builtin to the model or left separate for the mapper to supply should be considered.

// In tdm_defs01.pk4\def\tdm_moveable_food.def:

entityDef atdm:moveable_food_cake
{
    "inherit"            "atdm:moveable_food_healthy_base" // grayman #4166
    "model"                "models/darkmod/kitchen/food/cake.lwo"
    "editor_usage"        "This food heals 3 HP when eaten."
    "mass"                "0.6"
    "snd_bounce"        "tdm_impact_fruit_small"
    "snd_eaten"            "tdm_player_bread_crunch"
    "heal_amount"        "3" // grayman #4166
}

entityDef atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge
{
    "model"                "models/darkmod/kitchen/food/cheese_wedge.lwo"
    "editor_usage"        "This food heals 3 HP when eaten."
    "mass"                "0.7"
    "bouncyness"        "0.06"
    "heal_amount"        "3" // grayman #4166
}

entityDef atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wheel
{
    "model"                "models/darkmod/kitchen/food/cheese_wheel.lwo"
    "editor_usage"        "This food heals 6 HP when eaten."
    "mass"                "4.2"
    "bouncyness"        "0.06"
    "heal_amount"        "6" // grayman #4166
}

// In TDM, it is possible to ask for a random distribution of food items on a counter, and the TDM SEED system will handle that.
// The existing "cake" is one of the items (defined as template_5 in tdm_defs01.pk4\def\tdm_seed_random.def)
// You could add your cake, or a slice of it, to that too... but the plate underneath is an issue then.

Going beyond that, with some extra effort, you could make your cake model "skinnable", with separate named texture regions. Say at least 3 (topping, icing, sponge) with default textures strawberries, chocolate_glaze, chocolate_sponge.

Or 5 (topping, frosting, filling, skin_sponge, slice_sponge).

Then you and/or someone else could provide multiple flavors and toppings. For example, the conical shapes on top (and in the filling layer) could be not just strawberries, but piped whipped cream or chocolate, browned meringue, large gumdrops, or candy Halloween ghosts.

• Like 2

Mmmmm... cake....

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

1 hour ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Is that cake an interactive food type you can grab and consume? If that would be possible I'd do it just for fun :)

I sorta recall the existing cake, when eaten, was just one big gulp. Turnips, apples, carrots of course let have additional models with bites out.