The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Was reading through the Wiki 'Darkmod storyline' stuff yesterday again. Noticed the nice section on carreers, book binding.. made me think of this printing press in someone's mission.

So I ripped it and turned it into a model. Tried to stay pretty close to the original with a few minor tweaks. Need to tweak it just a bit more yet.

I'll probably need some help but we should be able to have a script so it'll press when you turn the gear.

post-1981-128156018871_thumb.jpg

thanks for the design Nielsen74 ;)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

So I ripped it and turned it into a model. Tried to stay pretty close to the original with a few minor tweaks. Need to tweak it just a bit more yet.

Look´s taffing good smile.gif but the texturering need´s a "bit" of work wink.gif

I'll probably need some help but we should be able to have a script so it'll press when you turn the gear.

That would be so taffing cool (mission objectiv: print 10 copy´s of lord whatnot´s leatter to lady whatahore and drop them all over the manor house) tongue.gif

thanks for the design Nielsen74 wink.gif

Your wellcome wink.gif

Edited by Nielsen74

Yeah, those tex issues (stretching on wood and side of copper) are fixed. I didn't map them that way, I actually spent quite a bit of time mapping them. I don't know if it's something in Doom when going in game, or if it's something wacky in the ase exporter from Max.

I really never noticed it before, but today I'm seeing it on a gear I started working on awhile back, and I think it always had the issue cause i had strange dark spots that were on the texture, but not on the uv. Now I notice those parts are all stretched on that gear too.

It's like the correct uv isn't exporting, it really sucks.

Now I notice the 4 arms on the print plate are stretched too... blah

Was reading through the Wiki 'Darkmod storyline' stuff

:huh: There's storyline stuff?

I think part of what I was reading was 'the city/guilds/craft guilds...' but I think there was more. Can't find right now.

Anyway, the press works and is a prefab and also in test/machines with a few other wips (like the steam whistle).

Deffinately a lack of 'optimal sounds' so those can be touched up. The steam whistle doesn't alert yet, and haven't figured out how to toggle particles from switch yet.

All the gears have been set up as moveables and are set up in that map with a working switch/sounds.

Made an oven and a cooking range but performance hit when all fires are lit. If I make them one light each with 3 flames models then they all go out with one water arrow. Maybe I'll have to do that and make Easy into low-PC again. Both oven and range are one func_static each less doors and lights. I don't think I can do much to improve performance in the kitchen.

post-400-12820405855_thumb.jpg post-400-128204060645_thumb.jpg

Yeah, nice! I wanted to give a positive rep for this, but I became a message that I overused it for the day, but I haven´t used it since quite a while? Was this deactivated? Or aren´t I allwoed for this anymore only? :unsure: (it´s not that serious, I´m just curious)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Yeah, nice! I wanted to give a positive rep for this, but I became a message that I overused it for the day, but I haven´t used it since quite a while? Was this deactivated? Or aren´t I allwoed for this anymore only? :unsure: (it´s not that serious, I´m just curious)

It was deactivated on the forum, just the buttons are still visible.

@Fidcal: Have you tried to make the light volumes smaller, e.g. narrowed? I guess if they are quadratic, all three lights hit the same brushes and try to cast shadows, even tho these shadows are not visible as the light is confined to the oven space, anyway.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Made an oven and a cooking range but performance hit when all fires are lit. If I make them one light each with 3 flames models then they all go out with one water arrow. Maybe I'll have to do that and make Easy into low-PC again. Both oven and range are one func_static each less doors and lights. I don't think I can do much to improve performance in the kitchen.

post-400-12820405855_thumb.jpg post-400-128204060645_thumb.jpg

Looks great, though there is one little detail I'd change; The orientation of texture of the stone columns next to the doors on the oven. As it is right now it's very obvious that it's just the same texture as the background and doesn't look particularly realistic, this way it would look more like they were stacked on top of each other.

It was deactivated on the forum, just the buttons are still visible.

@Fidcal: Have you tried to make the light volumes smaller, e.g. narrowed? I guess if they are quadratic, all three lights hit the same brushes and try to cast shadows, even tho these shadows are not visible as the light is confined to the oven space, anyway.

mmm... That's a good point. I only roughly made them narrow. I could make sure they are very narrow - might save a bit. They shine both out the front of the open fireplace and up through the hob grills. You can't see it in the screenshot but the flickering and dancing of the various lights is part of its charm.

This raises another issue. It doesn't seem possible to get a nice red glow light somehow like you would in a disney cartoon. I mean on the surfaces. To give a warm glow. I tried it in Heart and it looked all wrong. You can turn the red high on the light and the green low and the blue lower but it tends to go pale pink. Probably just the stone work. Mmmm... maybe all it needs is a halo. I'll try that as well.

woohoo! First test shows big improvement just narrowing the lights. I forgot to dmap for the halos so black cubes but dmapping now.... I also moved another light but I want the front of the range and oven to get some light otherwise they are very dark and all my texture aligning was wasted. :laugh:

Yes a definite improvement. Thanks for that. The halos look too yellowish for this. I'm using textures/darkmod/sfx/fake_haze_02. I see that has the colored keyword. Doesn't that mean I can pass the colour using _color? I never did that in Heart where I used this with a lot of torches and street lights. Maybe it defaults to the particle colour. Maybe that always overrides 'colored'.

Other lights here are just placeholders till I find the best positions....

post-400-128207958862_thumb.jpg

er, pictures please LOL

Tweaked the rosy glow and most of the lighting in the kitchen plus grimed everything up so it's starting to take on a bit of character. There is a bit of conflict with the halos where one is seen in front of another. Probably never expected that sitation with street lights. But generally they add to the atmosphere. I particularly like the close up of the hobs which was a bit of luck really. I'd forgotten that grid texture has alpha. I don't think the pictures I reviewed for inspiration were open to the fire below. I think they were just hotplates. Hard to tell. But it kind of makes sense that grids look right. Just need smell shaders for the bread in the oven.

post-400-128216231333_thumb.jpg post-400-128216233211_thumb.jpg post-400-128216235164_thumb.jpg