The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

all I casn see is a green skull and dirt with a few bushes.

what tree model...

most likely models won't be rehashed. I'm working on new tree ideas now so we might have a whole new set/style soon. got interupted by broken wrist.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I wonder how you build caves ? I just create patch as floor,and put objects as stones on each side

You could do what Jesps did in his vert contest mission: model cave in parts using blender and then make rooms with caulk.

I'm not so proficient with blender so I would do caves like this:

• Make a room with brushes (remember, patches DO NOT seal against the void.).
  • apply caulk texture on the brushes (you use caulk to save performance, your brush-room is never visible to the player. No need to draw its surfaces. But you need the brush-room to seal against the void.)
  • make the cave walls and ceilings scenery using patches
  • make sure you monsterclip the patch walls to the AI can avoid them.

You could easily make a tunnel by making a caulk room and putting a cylinder patch inside it. Invert (patch->matrix->invert) the cylinder so the faces are on the insides. Then deform the cylinder so it looks cavelike. Denser cylinders have more vertices you can move to make it even more different from the starting cylinder. Add patches here and there to make it look more realistic. You could use cones for stalacmites and stalactites.

When doing patchwork, remember to monsterclip it well, so the AI won't get stuck.

Getting textures to look good on a patch needs a bit practice, but it is vital to a mapper learn it at some stage anyways.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

depends what you want, etc...

1: is using inverted cylinder patches like Sotha said, then build caulk tunnels around them to seal the void. and place visportals in the caulk tunnels.

2:use other patches like I did in Rift. basically for the mine tunnels I made a tube out of square patches, then inverted them. I should've used cylinders but it didn't even occour to me at the time. needs sealed with caulk tunnels/rooms.

3: custom caves objects. again, need backed by caulk tunnels.

4: brushes turned to func_statics, make a brush, clip off corners to make angled rocks. again needs backed by caulk tunnels.

1&2 will give you smoothing groups, a very 'rounded look', 3 can be smooth or facetted depending on how you want it smoothed, 4 will be faceted, no way to smooth across brush faces-but if you want sharp edged, chiseled rocks it's the way to go.

needed a good clockface for my tower and the mod, worked on this. have the colors in layers so i can make multi skins.

middle looks to busy with these hands (the largest ones) at this size.

Am also just thinking of making it an object.(haven't gotten around to making the alpha around the edge work yet.

----------edit

@Spring, lol, yeah but i forgot it

post-1981-128667181966_thumb.jpg

i made a normal map too, but need to put metal where the black is and have another light to show the nromals.

needed a good clockface for my tower and the mod, worked on this. have the colors in layers so i can make multi skins.

Am also just thinking of making it an object.(haven't gotten around to making the alpha around the edge work yet.

----------edit

i made a normal map too, but need to put metal where the black is and have another light to show the nromals.

It looks a little flat but I suppose the normals will take care of that. Also couldn't you save polys by just making it out of a quad if you're going to use alpha mapping anyway?

It's actually not just church-watches. Even the watch I am currently wearing has the "IIII". When I first discovered that, I started laughing hard and thought it was a very cheap watch because of that "error" (it was a gift), but after some research on the web, I discovered it is very common. I could not find a reason until now, why it is done like that though...

Here are some theories. (I typed 'IIII clock number' in google, there was more...)

----------edit

Hey, I don´t see the 'edited by...'-code! Are you Team-members beyond that? <_<

But the dial looks very nice, though I don´t like the colour-scheme, it reminds me so much of Bavaria, and I don´t like Bavaria... -_-

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Ah, hehe. Sometimes you miss the most obvious search keywords. :) Thanks for the info...

Hey, I don´t see the 'edited by...'-code! Are you Team-members beyond that? <_<

Teammembers and contributors, yes. :P

it reminds me so much of Bavaria, and I don´t like Bavaria... -_-

Yeah, who does anyway? Arrogant bastards! ;) I actually am in Bavaria right now because my gf lives down here, but I am from North Rhine-Westphalia, which forged my hatred for Bavaria. ^_^ The colors remind me more about the soccerclub "Schalke 04" though, which is a lot worse.

Today is 10/10/10 which is Decimal Day and 101010 = 42 in decimal, the number from which the meaning of life, the universe, and everything could be derived. The Roman IIII has 4 characters and IV has 2. Woooo! wink.gif

alright Glen Beck. put away the chaulk board, lol. (maybe americans will get the joke)

----------------

it was just a black and white image i found when i searched for big ben clockface, then I had to get rid of the hands that were painted on. i've always known IV to be correct so it doesn't bother me.

like i said, got the colors in layers so it's an easy hue adjust to make it a variety of textures.

it's just on a cylinder cap because of how i had previously made the clock(using a non-alpha stock tex), this was just to test in game.

it'll probably become a model, all set up in a prefab with 2 sides, transparent (slightly- maybe) and properly working hands.

I'll also add some glass/metal texture details.

-------------

i don't know abpout bavaria personally, but bavarian cream puffs, omg ftw.

Hey, that´s funny! I actually live (but am not from) in bavaria, but am planning to move to North Rhine-Westphalia, Cologne in detail, but I´m not sure. Rents are so high, maybe I´ll get back to Berlin...

Another German :ph34r: They seem to overrun out mod lately :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tels, didn't you notice already? Anyway, I think it's great that German speaking folks are contributing so much to TDM (or are at least loitering around the forums), because it shows that our creativity and the will to create something that hasn't been done a hundread times before hasn't completely vanished. If you look at TV or - even worse - the way companies are led, you could get that impression.

Anyway, I moved into my new house and am proud to call myself an Eigenheimbesitzer!   :laugh:  I know I didn't post much in the last few months, but I'm really working on changing that. LEGION, you hear me? Start with extracting the readables for 'Crown of Penitence' already!   ;)

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.