The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

oh wow, i hope you are not working for the chistmas contest^^

No, this has been in development for months but I had to shelve it during the run up to the release of Dark Mod.

This section just sort of happened. Funny that I was just trying to fill a gap in the build so did it rough and quick and a lot of really bad stuff is hidden high up in the fog. But I often find with Dark Mod stuff that as you put things together something new emerges beyond your own talent - hey! look what I built! :laugh:

Thats more than right!:)

and i am really thankful for the christmas contest, i cant beleve how much i have learnd in that short time. I can remember the fist time i have opend DR, i was just like "wtf O.o" :laugh:

...btw, do you guys like secret rooms?

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Wife and I are both running DarkRadiant 1.0.2. ... Tonight page 2 and more of the Tutorial!

Our first room and .xd file of 'thiefs den' are made ... and she (just this minute as I type this) has loaded up and is walking around in her 1st room, for the first time; looks great! ... a small but big step for us. We're learning DR together ...

You people are amazing ... all of the screens look fantastic. being from the north, we love the snow too ... Sonosuke's shot looks great ...

The arabic pitchers, SiyahParsomen's screens and Heart of Lone Salvation are really impressive ...

Now I'm off to lay eyes on my first room in TDM ... Darrin

Now I'm off to lay eyes on my first room in TDM ... Darrin

Yeah, when your own first room is finished you just think "oh yeah"^^ I hope to see a map from both of you soon!

edit: btw are you two wokring together on one map?

-----

It seems like time is running faster everyday... still so much to do... I hope my own beta testing will be enough :unsure:

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

btw are you two wokring together on one map?

I was wondering about that .... can we work simultaneously, on the same map co-operatively and the same time across the network? Both updating the same file? Insert Prefab? ... ok, she figured it out as I typed this out ...

Do you know how to make the shortcut to tilde so we don't have to CTRL + ALT + ~ ?

Also, do you know how I can keep TDM running and Alt Tab back and forth?

Here's the plan, we finish the tutorial and have it as Thiefs Den for TDM 1.0 (since the original won't run in this recent release?), and hope we're armed enough to re-develop and contribute our favorite, (and probably played many times by all, since it was the demo map ... ) a beefed up, TDM version of "Life Of The Party" ... but don't tell anyone .. it's a surprise ...

I have to catch up to her ... she's all ready found industrial buildings ... and churches ... if she goes at this like she did Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, we'll be raiding the party very soon ... I'm only at the top of page two of Fidcals tutorial! - darrin

Welcome Darrin and Wife ;)

Cool that you guys are learning it together.

You can put fullscreen 0 in your doom3 shortcut (I think that's right) so it'll run windowed, then you can tab out. But I think it really slows everything down. At least having DR open will cut 10 fps from ingame. (not that bad for quick checks anyway).

in the Edit menu there is a keyboards shortcuts. You can change them there, just be sure ~ isn't assigned to something else already.

As far as I know you can't both work on the same file. But you could build some rooms in another file, save as a prefab (maybe even copy/paste) and import into her map.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Welcome Darrin and Wife ;)

thanks! Jessica has all ready saved prefabs and imported ... will do on shortcuts ...

I noticed the mention of a repository? Where we might find the arabic style vase? I have lightwave installed for .lwo's if needed ...

She says she only found a few buildings and was wondering if there is an online repository of buildings like for RTC3? there is probably a better place for all of our newbie questions .... Darrin

No, Dark Mod is still new to the community but no doubt there will be websites where developers can upload extra mapper assets like textures and models. I was pushing to get the mapper tools contributor section advanced and promoted on the Dark Mod website but not enough manpower at the moment.

Regarding working on the same map, this is generally done by working on different sections then merging them later either using the import map or prefab options. So you need one common joining place that is as simple as possible. For example, say you were working together on a mansion heist. You are doing the west wing and your wife is doing the east wing. Ideally if there is say one or two or three corridors connecting them. You start with those then each have a copy so the are at the same coordinates. From there, one builds one way, the other the opposite way. While developing you just build one say stone brush wall at the join in the corridor so you can test play. You only need to make sure you keep away from the coordinates the other is using so they don't overlap. You know at any time you can merge the two and they will fit together perfectly. You need only delete the temporary walls in the corridors (and consider player start and common ambient light.) Of course, if you just build separately overlapping the same coordinates you can still move the sections about later but it can be slow to drag a huge map section. And lining it up is a bit like docking with the space station - slow and cautious. Hope that makes sense.

Glad you're progressing anyway.

You start with those then each have a copy so the are at the same coordinates. From there, one builds one way, the other the opposite way.

thanks! - I hadn't even thought about how important our XYZ need to match up. We'll use this method to start, and won't have to worry about alignment becasue we will have both started from the same hallway! ... thanks!

I just notice that with 2 DR's running I can 'copy' from one map opened and paste into the other ... I just brought a whole pile of stuff into my map from the 'startmap' we DL'ed by having DarkRadiant running twice ... big time saver! - Darrin

edit: I guess the copy & paste doesn't work on everything ...

Edited by Darrin

The arabic pitcher should be in the 1.1 update. I assume that'll be around the new year, but that's a guess. I think we want to try and push out the first update pretty soon to take care of the major issues we have found. I had to fix some of my models and made a few extras while I was at it.

It's been renamed 'decanter' though.

What I do to copy something from one map to another with two DRs open. I created a folder inside the prefabs folder called say MyStuff. Inside are various prefabs and folders but two prefabs in particular: !Temp1.pfb and !Temp2.pfb. So to copy over I select it and save it as a prefab !Temp1.pfb. Switch to the other DR and import or insert it.

[EDIT] Just re-reading what you said, I didn't actually realize you can copy and paste selections even within DR let alone to another! d'oh! :blush: I always hit the clone key to copy so never thought of that.

[EDIT] ... I didn't actually realize you can copy and paste selections even within DR let alone to another!

i know ... ain't that sweet? I've been copying and pasting right from one to another and it works great for most standard items. Some, like potions , paste ok directly in to DR, but upon map refresh in TDM, they don't show up ... we're having fun ... it's going very quickly for us ... I feel we're frothing at the bit through this tutorial! - DC

Is it possible you have a filter on in the map you are pasting to?

In which case it's there but hidden. Becareful with filters, you could add alot of stuff that will show up in game. I've added multiple instances of something before because a filter was on and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't appearing , lol.

I just copied a health potion entity, closed DR, opened DR and pasted it in the new file just fine.

It might also be out of sight elsewhere in the grid. Prefabs include their coordinates. If you import a prefab then it goes straight to the same coordinates from where it was saved. If you insert a prefab then it goes to where the mouse is pointing PLUS the the coordinates as an offset. Either way, unless it is saved from 0,0,0 it could be far away off the visible grid.

I just copied a health potion entity, closed DR, opened DR and pasted it in the new file just fine.

You can have two instances of DarkRadiant running at the same time, ... just launch it twice ... one with the map your working on, and one from which to copy from; ie I launch DR and open the map I'm working on, then I launch it again and open startmap, highlight a model, CTRL + C it, then ALT + Tab over to the DR running my map and paste it at the camera level ....

Both of us up till 3:00 am customizing our 1st room ... we couldn't even get to step two of your tutorial because we were having so much fun just learning where all the goodies are and bringing them in ...

We run 1920 x 1200 on 24" LCD's ... I do keep TDM running in a 1280 x 800 windowed mode. After I save, I ALT + Tab over to TDM and hit the a key which I bound to "map td/td" ... I also had fun with the red strobe making just the light in the lighthouse in a painting blink red on and off ... then I duplicated and changed the angle so it looks like the painting is shining it's red light out of the painting and onto the table near it ... creepy! - on to page two of Tutorial today!

PS< where's all the kewl rugs? - Thanks Darrin

Edited by Darrin

single flat patch or a shallow brush and texture it. ... Use 'fit' on Surface Inspector to erm... make it fit.

Your speaking terms that we have not yet reached in the Tutorial ... but I'm gonna keep an eye out for that type of function as we go through it! -

on a differnet note ... I 'copied' the three rats from 'startmap' and pasted into my room and they are there and run around ... but it gives :AA Your rats are out of Date!" error .... are there new rats?

here's a animated .gif to show my lighthouse painting:

lighthouse.gif

On page two of Tutorial it calls for:

RMB menu > Create Entity > darkmod > AI > Non-combat > atdm:ai_townsfolk_male1

I don't have a Non-combat dir ... I picked atdm_ai_townsfolk_commoner_1 ... is that roughly the same? He works pretty good! - I saw him eat some pills though ... I'm worried for him ...

the three rats are moving my box around ... no errors after dmap, all looks good!

Edited by Darrin