The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

There are some posts elsewhere about that hack - probably in Biker's own thread.

Also is there anyone who would like to do a briefing movie, it can either be a text fading based or text/vocals based...

Put me down as absolute last resort because I'm pushed for time myself. But if nobody else volunteers then I can do a text/graphic fade briefing.

Has the briefing text been written? If not then I'd have to play the whole thing and study the readables to get a good idea what it's about. Same with screenshots relating to those texts. If they were already done then I could make the briefing probably in one session and I don't even need the FM.

I posted about this 'hack' some time ago, it allows doom3.exe to use more RAM, you can cut the 'Affinity'-talk, doom3 doesn´t need it, though you can raise exe-priority...

I´m sure Nils has more info if you want it...

I'd do it if I had time, but my free time is pretty slim at the moment, and I'm trying to get the new vocals from BA ready so we can start planning the 1.03 release.

I vote for Grayman, the 'show_text'-times he used in his mission were perfect for non-english/slow-readers like me. And I´m possibly the most slow reader out here. Also he has access to voice-talent... :rolleyes:

question: Do you really need to dmap after adding readables?

Oh, and hell, Bikerdude, I never celebrated Halloween, but this year with your mission, I´ll just have to! :)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I vote for Grayman, the 'show_text'-times he used in his mission were perfect for non-english/slow-readers like me. And I´m possibly the most slow reader out here. Also he has access to voice-talent... :rolleyes:

Well, I'm busy with bug-fixing, but I can help in a pinch, so put me in line right in front of Fidcal: "next-to-absolute-last-resort".

Like Fidcal, I would need the script and screenshots to go with it. I prolly wouldn't have time to play the mission at the moment.

I posted about this 'hack' some time ago, it allows doom3.exe to use more RAM, you can cut the 'Affinity'-talk, doom3 doesn´t need it, though you can raise exe-priority...

I´m sure Nils has more info if you want it...

question: Do you really need to dmap after adding readables?

Oh, and hell, Bikerdude, I never celebrated Halloween, but this year with your mission, I´ll just have to! :)

Most of the hacks in that thread are kinda bad. I mean even the 3GB memory fix for the Doom3.exe isn't really necessary as I've never had Doom3 use more than 1 GB of memory playing even the most demanding FMs. Maybe for games like Crysis on Ultra setting would benefit, maybe even Doom 3 on Ultra, but that would only affect video memory which wouldn't be affected by the 2GB limit.

I'll do some testing tonight to see just how much memory I can get Doom 3 to use though, might be useful.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

The hack helped bypass an artificially low internal application memory limit that prevented Bikerdude from dmapping his very large map. I don't think we've seen this before because the other mappers with maps of this size or larger are probably using the Linux version of Doom 3. The dmap compile bloats ram usage, the hack should not be required by the players.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The hack helped bypass an artificially low internal application memory limit that prevented Bikerdude from dmapping his very large map. I don't think we've seen this before because the other mappers with maps of this size or larger are probably using the Linux version of Doom 3. The dmap compile bloats ram usage, the hack should not be required by the players.

I have a couple of huge maps, I'll fill them with stuff and try to dmap. I ran into that issue in Quake 3 days, but not since then.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I've just had a brilliant surge of inspiration for my map. It's going to be a Hallowe'en map (warning! It won't be a normal TDM map, and if you've been to the movies at all in the last few years, you'll probably know exactly what my inspiration was). Expect to be accomplishing your goal in a very unusual way...

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

This is a royal orb I've made for Manor Royale but I think someone else wanted something like this too? In both screenshots the one on the left is patches and the one on the right is the model exported from DR.

The design is not bad but not perfect as I was working fairly blind as the pattern is all bump map and the metal smooth gold. If you do a google picture search for "royal orb" you can see a selection of real ones. I replaced the cross with a slightly stylized hammer. Their crosses seem slightly large in proportion but maybe that's just me.

post-400-128773935466_thumb.jpg post-400-128773936314_thumb.jpg

This is a royal orb I've made for Manor Royale but I think someone else wanted something like this too? In both screenshots the one on the left is patches and the one on the right is the model exported from DR.

The design is not bad but not perfect as I was working fairly blind as the pattern is all bump map and the metal smooth gold. If you do a google picture search for "royal orb" you can see a selection of real ones. I replaced the cross with a slightly stylized hammer. Their crosses seem slightly large in proportion but maybe that's just me.

post-400-128773935466_thumb.jpg post-400-128773936314_thumb.jpg

Ehm... *Turns on diplomacy-mode*

Considering that it was created in DR it looks great. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's close to the best that can be done.

Considering what it could look like if created in blender...................... ... . . . .. It's like painting the sistine chapel using a single magic-marker. :(

*Notices that diplomacy-mode threw a seg-fault.*

*Hides*

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Considering what it could look like if created in blender...................... ... . . . .. It's like painting the sistine chapel using a single magic-marker. :(

Yeah, if only... :)

I can try to get around to making one of these, if you'd like. I'm pretty much finished with the spyglass, but I still need to finish the shadowmesh and collisionmesh on my skullstaff, after these I can try to make one. No promises though.

Thanks Nosslak. Don't worry if you can't find time. I also need a gold sceptre, crown, sword, and ampulla but if you don't have time for any of these I'll do something in DR. I need a complete set of Royal Crown Jewels. The gold crown can probably be made with just a new skin for the existing crown we have. Likewise the ceremonial sword will be all gold including the blade so might only need a skin. For the ampulla I like the ancient bottle design rather than the spoon type.

I'll hold off these for another month or so anyway but then I'll have to do them somehow.

Maybe it's just me, but that sceptre looks like it came from a Mario or Pokemon game or something. I dunno what it is, just to round and cartoony I guess. A good start/base though

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Good news, everyone! I've decided to make a tutorial to go along with the royal orb after being asked to do so. I will try to document the complete modeling stage (this means highpoly, lowpoly, shadowmesh and collisionmesh). This tutorial will be for Blender and I will assume that you have some basic knowledge of Blender/modeling as I won't have time to go over every hotkey and such. Are you excited?:)

Maybe it's just me, but that sceptre looks like it came from a Mario or Pokemon game or something. I dunno what it is, just to round and cartoony I guess. A good start/base though

Yeah, in retrospect it probably should have had some kind of engravings on the sphere part. Victorian era thingies are not smooth and neat like modern objects, but rather curvy and full of details.

I guess that's the cartoony part: simply too 'clean.' The TDM textures it uses have specular, which make it look rather too shiny, too.B)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.