The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Well of course not every FM is a gem1, but this fact is also true for classic thief FMs. Take "King's Story" for example. Crazily ambitious and relatively beautiful, but boring as shit. :D

The community is still learning and with every FM, the whole community is gaining in experience. Best example is Bikerdude. I don't want to say that his first FM "Business as Usual" was crap, but I bet most people would agree that there is an ongoing climax regarding the quality of his three successive FMs and his colaborative work with Melan is likely to be very, very sweet as well. :)

1 Nevertheless, I enjoyed all of them!

Well of course not every FM is a gem1, but this fact is also true for classic thief FMs. Take "King's Story" for example. Crazily ambitious and relatively beautiful, but boring as shit. :D

so, you say that KS for T2 is boring ? we can stop discussion right now after that words

Proceed with caution!

tdm missions is booooooring,actually that is the true (except Tears of saint Lucia,glenham tower,HoLS and NHAT )

oh is that "the true" you were looking at? Probably translates to something more like "I just happen to see the truth".

Well, shadowhide, you're more than welcome to not play any more TDM missions. And not talk about them either. I don't think you've been playing the missions anyway, seeing as you voted poor on all categories of St Albans Cathedral inside of a couple hours of its release. You were the first person to vote. Btw Tels, I don't think google translate could thoroughly ruin the translation of the "poor" radio button in the polls. His actions are purely malicious.

Edited by ungoliant

mission can look pretty cool,but gameplay became intresting when mission full of scripted events(teloporting,conversations ect.) ,characters. LAST thing is mission graphics .Look at new T2 mission Tales from the Cleft: Ladytaker( http://darkfate.ru/?...the_Cleft/Part2 ) : mission use default T2 textures,objects but it full of dialogues with AI,scripted events and clever puzzles.That's why mission is amazing

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

oh is that "the true" you were looking at? Probably translates to something more like "I just happen to see the truth".

Well, shadowhide, you're more than welcome to not play any more TDM missions. And not talk about them either. I don't think you've been playing the missions anyway, seeing as you voted poor on all categories of St Albans Cathedral inside of a couple hours of its release. You were the first person to vote. Btw Tels, I don't think google translate could thoroughly ruin the translation of the "poor" radio button in the polls. His actions are purely malicious.

Yeah, I agree that Google isn't *that* bad :) (It surely beats my Russion skills :D

As for his actions, I am still giving the benefit of the doubt (I am just an old softie :) and ascribe this more to "poor understanding". But you are right, it is one thing to critise (even wrongly, or ill-guided, or non-constructive) and another to just downvote missions. Even if somebody doesn't "like" St. Alban, it is still a marvelous piece of work and doesn't deserve it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

He did say he liked TDM, and he's trying out map making... that's kind of the best case you could ask for. Comments aside, he's better than a fence sitter or nit-picker.

Actually, the best case is someone who likes TDM and is pleasant and respectful of other mappers while they work on their own mission. :)

Someone who goes on about how poor other missions are should be prepared for brutal honesty when they ask for feedback on their own work.

Someone who goes on about how poor other missions are should be prepared for brutal honesty when they ask for feedback on their own work.

Yeah, nobody expects a novice builder to create something like St. Lucia on a first attempt. But if you vote 1/1/1 on something like St. Alban's or Knighton - you are setting the standards by which you will be judged mighty high.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

this thread seems to be getting off topic....

Aye, stop feeding the troll. Obviously this is exactly what it is trying to accomplish. Let's not turn this into darkfate. We're better than this.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Folks, can you please ignore this idiot? He isn't even well-liked in Darkfate.ru, even criticized for ruining Darkfate's credibility:

Молодец, отличную репутацию Даркфейту забацал

Shadowwhatever is a troll, nothing more, nothing less. He seems to get a hard-on for trolling here:

меня там любят :)

No, you aren't loved here, not at all. And all the time this fuckup is bitching about the "horrible" editor:

ну если бы ты попробовал этот ужасный редактор

All in all, I'm hereby asking the forum operator to implement an "Ignore" button so I don't have to read this arrogant and at the same time pitiful whining. Thank you.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

so I don't have to read

You need a button for that?

Just calm down. You should be able to see that text translations are imperfect, extrapolate that and add cultural (humor) translations as well and just calm down. Are you in pain? Do really need a button? Do you really needed to start a campaign amassing a squad?

Edited by Aprilsister

So, what's your workflow for placing the one concave-only grime? Maybe we could think of something to optimize it, to make it less tiresome.

Sorry, I missed this post. It got buried. Basically this is what I do if a grime tile wants 'adjusting': Imagine the default tile is roughly a square O shape.

•  
  • Hold down reduce vertical scale (this actually increases the scale with patches.)
  • The O scales off to one side leaving a U.
  • AFAIK there is no way to know which side of the four it will slide off so trial and error with all 4 buttons.
  • If it's the opposite to what you want you then have scroll it over.
  • An alternative is to physically rotate the patch (not the texture) so it scales in the direction you want (at least one way anyway.)
  • So now you have a U shape.
  • But the top legs of the U are hard so now you reduce (increase) the scale in the opposite plane (again with above problem.)
  • And then scroll those over to the centre.
  • Similarly you can get an L or I shape.

If I had more time I'd make some custom U, L, and I shapes that already fade away from their dark edge better.

The above shapes should not be confused with custom patch shapes around doors, windows, L shaped floors etc.; they are something else.

BTW. I am now at pre-alpha terrain. All basic areas are in place except for one or two new ones I plan to add later. No readables, no AI (few placeholders,) no objectives, few loot, etc etc so there is a lot to do. (Some would call this nearly finished. I say Feb/March.) But today I plan to play through from beginning to end for the first time to get some sense of gameplay overview.

Creepy little bugger. Does this mean you aren't actually out of editing?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Creepy little bugger. Does this mean you aren't actually out of editing?

Meh, dunno. Been sick for some days now and bored witless. Just playin' around. Let's see if something comes out of this. No promises, no responsibilities. ^_^

Clipper

Remember: a small map is by no means a bad map. :)

That's some seriously good stuff you have here, folks. Really inspiring. :)

Hey, be sure to check the "City Reference Pictures" -thread. That is a true gold mine. Also, google image search is a most excellent source for inspiration.

@AH:

Thanks. :)

@Melan:

Absolutely! B)

Clipper