The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Well, plenty of the things said after I brought up the "them mushrooms look primitive" subject touched on the aspects I was getting at (i.e. monochromaticism, lowpolyisticismness, nuancelessnessity...)

When 1.03 comes out; and I can get a screenshot; and if things still seem same-as-it-ever-was; I may have some tea and try and do as you ask Serpentine.

If you ever find me down there amongst the rails trying to get the cross-section historically accurate...

:laugh: too.

Are these with the new postprocessing effects? Looks great! Like an entirely new layer of detail had been added. Or maybe it is because your higher res monitor?

Yeah, those are the new post-processing effects. I also had the gamma and brightness sliders up a little more than usual when i played through sotc, so thats a factor as well in the first pic.

If you ever find me down there amongst the rails trying to get the cross-section historically accurate, please feel free to shoot me. It would save me from making the mine carts historically accurate, and the support beams, and the chains supporting the bridge ...

It is the attention to detail that seperates merely good work from great work :)

You don't have to get *every* detail right, but the main ones, the ones that are visible from 50m away, these should be done right. And let me tell you, if you plant mushrooms manually while negleting the architecture, erm, you are doing it wrong :)

(I don't blame you, its my fault that my mushroom planter is not yet done. Past 1.03, I'll do something about this)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Welcome, Radiatoryang!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

And let me tell you, if you plant mushrooms manually while negleting the architecture, erm, you are doing it wrong

You've GOT to be kidding. :rolleyes:

You're going to lecture the guy who made this about his architecture?

light4.jpg

You've GOT to be kidding. :rolleyes:

You're going to lecture the guy who made this about his architecture?

Yeah, sure I should not point out anything anymore because he sometimes in the past made something great *rolleyes*

You know what, I just give up, you win, keep your mushrooms and whatnot, and don't expect any more input from me for any map, it is certainly wasted here.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Great, this is the last fucking thing that we need is members leaving because of some stupid argument. The mushroom models themselves look like crap, the work involved in the map is incredible. The mushroom modem/textures is not the fault of the map maker, unless he made them of course.

So let's get our hands dirty and start working on the mushrooms and stop putting each other down mkay? Merry Christmas :angry:

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Actually mushrooms might help though; just a very mild brew. And some wide open spaces for Springheel and Tels to reacquaint themselves hopefully.

Or leave the mushrooms out of it and just clear up the resentment by blasting it out WITH the CLEAR final intention being that whatever issues are amassed get voiced and maybe even resolved.

Eh?

Yeah, sure I should not point out anything anymore because he sometimes in the past made something great *rolleyes*

Get serious Tels.

You started this by complaining about how you were "bothered by the wrong-looking tracks".

When Grayman asked you why, you posted a link to a wiki article and said "there seem to be a wide vary of shapes used, but I am not sure what older, simple rails looked like, maybe they even were so simple as yours?" So apparently, you aren't even sure that Grayman's rails ARE wrong.

But do you drop it? No. When Grayman says he's not concerned about whether the rails are historically accurate (even though they might be), you tell him: "you don't have to get *every* detail right, but the main ones, the ones that are visible from 50m away, these should be done right. And let me tell you, if you plant mushrooms manually while negleting the architecture, erm, you are doing it wrong."

Don't you see how condescendingly arrogant that sounds? "These should be done right...let me tell you...you are doing it wrong...".

And this is over a trivial detail that, by your own admission, might be historically correct.

For you to then try to play the victim ("I just give up, you win") is ridiculous.

It was acontest mission...under major time constraints.

It's ok to point out a detail, but saying someone was 'doing it wrong' when they were trying to finish a mission under contest time constraints is silly. lol

Anyway Tel's, nobody is attacking you here...just trying to help you see a little more clearly. :)

Would it have been possible at all to create realistic looking rails without raising overly the triangle count? I checked the Wikipedia article, and it seems to me that you'd need quite a lot of work to create, say, a Bullhead rail. Also, could the Builders possibly have this kind of technology?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

*Drops a bomb containing sedative and soothing gas*

*You feel slightly tipsy and relaxed*

A soft voice declares:

"All the subjects have done great things for TDM."

"Therefore all the subjects deserve respect."

"The budding discussion is obviously a silly misunderstanding."

"Everyone go to the mirror, say "You Did Well" and smile."

"Thank you for your cooperation."

*Everything comes back to normal*

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thank you manipulative orwellian nightmare Sotha!

So, I am usually a half-life mapper as stated in the past, and when I tried Radiant last I didn't understand a thing (although I didn't give it much time) But I am thinking of going back now that I've finished all the half-life maps I had been working on, and getting annoyed over maximum patch sizes and other stupid lighting bollocks, and also the new effects are looking absolutely lovely!

So, is it easy to do the switch?

:D

Oh that was nothing.. Once I regain control of the orbital mind control satellite array everything will be much better...;)

So, I am usually a half-life mapper as stated in the past, and when I tried Radiant last I didn't understand a thing (although I didn't give it much time) But I am thinking of going back now that I've finished all the half-life maps I had been working on, and getting annoyed over maximum patch sizes and other stupid lighting bollocks, and also the new effects are looking absolutely lovely!

Dark Radiant is really easy to learn, especially with tutorial help. I recommend that you build a small "learning" mission using Fidcal's excellent tutorial, which is over here: http://modetwo.net/d...ide_Start_Here!

Once you've got that one under your belt, you know enough basics to build something really cool.

Just don't try to build too large first mission, it might get overwhelming easily. Getting overwhelmed is detrimental to morale. Keeping it simple at start is fun, and it is simple to expand once you get more experience.

And remember, there is a large amount of experienced mappers around here, who will gladly help.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I found the switch doable... just re-bind shortcuts to resemble the ones in Hammer and you're gold. The biggest obstacle, I think, is getting used to selecting in Radiant / how to pan the 2D views vs. cloning

Blocking out more of the exterior, starting the interior floorplan too. FPS is still in the high 60s (compared to the 30s I get in RttC) so hopefully I can get maybe 50 in the end. Going for a giant mansion-fest like Bafford or Running Interference. I hate zombies. :(

How would I go about making the skybox brighter? Is there a line in a .mtr I can change, or do I adjust the levels on something in Photoshop? I don't want to author a whole new skybox, I just want to adjust this starrynight skybox to be brighter.

post-4033-129256408518_thumb.jpg

post-4033-129256408848_thumb.jpg

I hate zombies.

It just keeps getting better!

Holy shit that's a big-a-mansion!

Sorry I can't help with the tech question but I'm sure someone will (and maybe if need be caution you a bit about the size of you first mission, though, of course I'm not complaining at all... just a bit awed by the thing).