The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Whoa! Very nice. The visual quality is indeed getting better and better by each FM.

Soon I can retire from my TDM mapping career as my visual mapping style is will be obsolete and insufficient to the normal visual standards people have gotten used to. ;)

TDM players are gonna be spoiled by coddling with visual candy... :laugh:.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Nice to see the original concept sketch come to life and recognise its elements in the final design. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

LOL, thanks guys, but its was a combined effort.

Stage 1: Lemony did some drawings and the first building is made (by Mortem Desino, I think...)

Stage 2: Jdude created the big main building faced's and some of the peir stone work.

Stage 3: I finish off and tidy up the facades and then add all the wooden peir work, the storm wall and lighthouse.

Stage 4: I add the back of the village with the interior dock, alleys and some other buildings.

Stage 5: Lemony adds some cool buildings at the back of the village.

Stage 6: Using the buildings Lemony did I expand on these and use them as template to create more buildings in the same style.

Stage 7: I expand the side and back of the village further, adding detail across the whole map as I go.

Stage 8: Jdude fleshes out and details the map, adding yet more twisty/turny architecture and while hes at it, improve the performance the map.

Stage 9: I correct a few bugs here and there and add some more detail and posted the screenies you see today.

Stage 10: I will add a sewer system and secret undisclosed location..(while I wait for Fids to get back to me on another map Im working on)

Edited by Bikerdude

Looks great Biker and a good style. I like the drainpipe. One nitpick: I can't quite see what's supporting that boardwalk. I'd expect those top cross plank to be half that thickness with long struts lengthwise underneath. Maybe there is support underneath so I'll reserve judgement. Maybe even do a few single planks with gaps between unless that screws up some visportalling.

Looks great Biker and a good style. I like the drainpipe. One nitpick: I can't quite see what's supporting that boardwalk. I'd expect those top cross plank to be half that thickness with long struts lengthwise underneath. Maybe there is support underneath so I'll reserve judgement. Maybe even do a few single planks with gaps between unless that screws up some visportalling.

There are supports underneath, but I will extend those. And yes the planks are a bit thick, its an open area where is so gaps can and will be done!

Edited by Bikerdude

Grandiose architecture, decals and atmo .. that do hugely wet the appetite indeed Biker, Lemon and Jdude :D

what lush hors d'oeuvre! ...

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Sotha, no need for anyone to retire in the presence of such beauty Queen - your FM's have great visuals. Gameplay still is King! ... and like the Fisher King: when injured, anything is reduced to a barren wasteland. but not vice versa ;)

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Love those shots Bikerdude.

Here is some of my work from a personal testmap.

town_01.jpg

town_02.jpg

town_03.jpg

What they show are nine different buildings duplicated several times and strewn about the map. The idea is to add them to the map as facades and backgrounds. Change the textures on some of them and BAM! you have bunch of buildings for decoration.

Love those shots Bikerdude.

Here is some of my work from a personal testmap.

What they show are nine different buildings duplicated several times and strewn about the map. The idea is to add them to the map as facades and backgrounds. Change the textures on some of them and BAM! you have bunch of buildings for decoration.

Very nice, though I can see two things that could use some improvement:

1. The stones on the building in the lower right corner of the last image are way too big, scale them down and it'll look great.

2. Add some trims to the roofs.

Change the textures on some of them and BAM! you have bunch of buildings for decoration.

Awesome Jesps. We definitely need more stuff like that.

Afternoon

A few screens to wet the appetite, this is a map that Lemony, Jdude and myself have been working on..

shot00001oz.jpg

The pictures looks good...but to this one above: anything wa wrong with it when ive seen it first time....after long thinking: i think it looks very...static...let me tell what i mean

from this point all vanishing lines get straight into the middle/ center of the pic...red lines...

i think anything should cross this ones...yellow line...

post-3575-129615801705_thumb.jpg

if the player cant see the map from this point nevermind this idear.

dont missunderstand me...apart from this point a very cool pic...i mean this as a cause for thinking

Edited by Johannes Burock

The pictures looks good...but to this one above: anything wa wrong with it when ive seen it first time....after long thinking: i think it looks very...static...let me tell what i mean

from this point all vanishing lines get straight into the middle/ center of the pic...red lines...

i think anything should cross this ones...yellow line...

post-3575-129615801705_thumb.jpg

if the player cant see the map from this point nevermind this idear.

dont missunderstand me...apart from this point a very cool pic...i mean this as a cause for thinking

Wah? I'm not sure if you are arguing the aesthetics of the picture or the map itself.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Wah? I'm not sure if you are arguing the aesthetics of the picture or the map itself.

when i think im sitting in the mission at this point and one guard is walking around it looks like a man in a static pic...

in the second miss of thief 2 - harbour - i had the same prob...all the paral. and orth. lines looked very static

I think that reduce realism and atmo....

If you dont think so its ok. The building etc looks very cool, thats not the question. Dont know if im the only one who think so...?

Clearly its not criticism but i think this could it make a bit better

when i think im sitting in the mission at this point and one guard is walking around it looks like a man in a static pic...

in the second miss of thief 2 - harbour - i had the same prob...all the paral. and orth. lines looked very static

I think that reduce realism and atmo....

If you dont think so its ok. The building etc looks very cool, thats not the question. Dont know if im the only one who think so...?

Clearly its not criticism but i think this could it make a bit better

Johannes, its good that someone points out such things. Many people here (me included) do not have an "artistic sense" in the way that they can say "this is wrong, it should be that way and then it will be better". Instead we are mostly only used to look at things and say "I like that more", without being able to tell why we do so.

Someone with a background in asthetics, building and art can do wonders, even with simple tools, while someone like me with all the assets and time at their disposal can't produce anything worth to look at in reasonable timeframes.

So the critic is welcome, esp. if it comes from you (because I have seen your mapping skills :)

Btw, if the only critic that people can offer to TDM maps is "well, if you make it this way, it looks more like an piece of art, instead of just randomly thrown together", then I think we have progressed quite far, mod-wise :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax