The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Formatting epubs and making textures, good times.

I for some reason didnt check which leaf the model had that I wanted to replace... and went and assumed it was a normal 'Delicious Monster', spent an hour knocking out a pretty good diffuse+normal... only to check in game and notice that it's faaar removed from the current texture. Went back and managed to figure out the name of the plant and get a decent source image. Two for one -_-.

plants2.jpg

I think the Delicious Moster will look way better on a larger plant, like creeping up a large tree or something. So if anyone wants to grab them before 1.07 and work on that, feel free :)

The the replacement texture came out pretty good first time, but as you see the diffuse is a bit too generic green - tomorrow it will get some personality.

So what's next? Barrel textures?

I'm spamming this thread with texture updates - to stop this trend I demand WIP map shots. Gimme thaaaangs to look at.

Yeah the bottom left one is the current texture, it's got no normalmap and quite a bit of glossy highlights in the diffuse, which is why I wanted to replace it. That said the replacement also looks like a bit too plastic for my taste, tho I think that'll change when I get to blending in some more colour variation.

@BD - I want to remake the rusty one that we currently use quite a bit, the wood looks kinda strange and it just looks lacking somehow. I'll try make a 'fresh' version of the same barrel without the rust/bleaching. Maybe look at adding a nice texture for use indoors etc.

@BD - I want to remake the rusty one that we currently use quite a bit, the wood looks kinda strange and it just looks lacking somehow. I'll try make a 'fresh' version of the same barrel without the rust/bleaching. Maybe look at adding a nice texture for use indoors etc.

Could I also request the other brown barralls have some other skins, maybe using the planks texture (the one with the worn ends)

Yeah the bottom left one is the current texture, it's got no normalmap and quite a bit of glossy highlights in the diffuse, which is why I wanted to replace it. That said the replacement also looks like a bit too plastic for my taste, tho I think that'll change when I get to blending in some more colour variation.

Oh, good job then. The new one are pretty good except the top left one as the leaves intersect pretty weirdly (looks almost like meta-balls or something) but if you were to remove those intersecting pieces I think it'd look a lot better. I'm not sure if your using specularity already but I think it would look a little less plastic with a pretty weak green specularity.

Looking forward to it, Biker. =3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Got a few shots from my mission, working title is "Nothing Fancy". Base architecture is 90% done, now the real work begins.

post-1607-126033084199_thumb.jpg

Lucia's a placeholder here, 6700+ polys will be a bit too rich for this area

post-1607-126033098496_thumb.jpg

post-1607-126033111639_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit of a patch fiend at the moment...

post-1607-126033116526_thumb.jpg

post-1607-126033121593_thumb.jpg

Just a humble common-folks home... nothing going on here... move along... heh

post-1607-126033126045_thumb.jpg

The kitchen that one guard always says he's going to hit soon

post-1607-126033129614_thumb.jpg

Arches? Vaults? oh yes, I know how to do arches and vaults (my hair is a shade further towards gray but a small price to pay)

post-1607-126033136767_thumb.jpg

What happened to this..?

yeah, there a stock tdm background, need work, may use a different one, but its does look very thief-esq though..

Yeah, it's pretty crappy...that one and the other backdrop were made by me a loooong time ago really need updating. In the meantime, you can feel free to use the one I made for AStS.

Hey Spring I have a backdrop that was made my Jermi over on the ttlg forum, I have used its a desktop background for a while now and its very hi-res and very details. I will ask him if has other wide res versions and if we can make it into a background for TDM! If he says yes, then Im gonna need you to work your magic on it!

distcit_desktop.jpg

Bikerdude: jermi has already granted permission to use it for TDM. Of course, it does not hurt to ask again (and put it right in the core mod).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I will ask him if has other wide res versions and if we can make it into a background for TDM! If he says yes, then Im gonna need you to work your magic on it!

If you want it as a static background it won't need much work at all. If you want an animated background, something will have to be done with the skies and I won't have much time for that right now (I'm starting work again tomorrow). Maybe Serps can help.

Biker,

If you wanna poor man's way of converting that picture to a cubemap (skybox).

1) Create a large sphere or hemisphere in DR

2) Convert that picture to a TGA texture and create a custom material with just "map" not diffusemap (etc)

3) Stretch the texture so that it looks like a skybox on the sphere (or hemisphere)

4) While in-game adjust FOV and perform an envshot

5) Now you have your 6 images for your skybox

A big pain and there's probably a tool that does this better. :unsure:

Just a thought. ^_^

BaU v2 is lookin' great!

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Polycount has a list of cubemap editors but the easy looking ones appear to be commercial rather than freeware:

http://wiki.polycount.com/CubeMap

(see Software at the bottom)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

iirc those are only overlays (like the ones you currently use), combining them to cubemaps is possible but a bit on the useless side (cubemap skies look somewhat crap, also would need you to pre-composite the background - which isnt included?).

But yeah let me know if you'd like me to mock something up and I'll get to it later/tomoz (life :/)

Fired up DR and did this today. Been meaning to work on a roofline demo for awhile, So I needed something really tall to see from far away.

I don't think I have ever done this many arches in one map before, much less one building. Probably upwards of 2 hundred patch arches.

chapel_01.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest