The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

There are two things that confuse me somehow. I don't want to create a new topic for this though.

- In the model section under architecture/windows there are some window models like bricked_window.lwo and the two warehouse_window.lwo models. These use some kind of redish warehouse brick texture. So I wanted to texture some brushes with exactly this texture but I can't find it. If it is supposed to be not included in the Dark Mod or am I just unable to find it? :) I remember seeing this texture in one of the early trailers.

In the model viewer, active materials describes what you are looking for. Keep it in your mind. Then, under Media tab, expand Other Materials and write the name of the material to find the texture. That's it. Let me say the texture may not be useful at all since it's made for the model.

I tried to brighten the image a bit so you can actually see something.

Looks great :)

As for adjusting brightness of screenshots nicely,

If you have Photoshop / Paint.net / GIMP handy:

• Use the "Levels" adjustment, it's usually a histogram of the image, with 3 sliders and a gradient with two sliders - some apps use two ramps for the sliders, however it's a bit less easy to read when they do that - Photoshop is the easiest to understand.
  • On the set of 3 sliders, you'll want the black slider to be at the lowest point of the histogram (most of the time for TDM)
  • The grey/middle slider, you will move that towards the black slider in order to 'brighten' the image - shift it until you're happy and it doesn't look too washed out.
  • The white slider can usually remain at max.

The other two slider gradient is sort of global, if you move the black point towards the white, you'll get a uniformly whitened image - not all that handy.

This example isnt great as things have already been attempted. But anyway:

screenshotlevels.jpg

Hey there,

I downloaded the Dark Mod some weeks ago and enjoyed a lot of the released fan missions. It's nice to see some authors from the thief community releasing missions (Melan, great work!). So I wanted to give Dark Radiant a try and I simply love this editor. Luckily I have some experience with DromEd and the Amnesia: The dark Descent level editor so it wasn't really hard to build something in DR. I want to show you guys a WIP screen of a city scene I'm working on. It's very rough, the lighting is not very good and there aren't much details but this is the best city scene I built in an editor (always had problems with citys in DromEd :().

Welcome, Seuchensoldat! :) It is good to know people have been inspired by the speedbuilding thread.

That's some good work there already - convoluted, complex and dark. You do not necessarily need much more detail than that. The scene looks good, and if you keep that up for the rest of the level, you should be completely fine.

By the way, do you have any released Dromed missions? I tried looking you up on Thiefmissions, but didn't get any hits. Or did you work under a different name?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Woah, that's a lot of nice feedback! Thank you!

@Melan: I went under nicknames like Pistole2k or The_Unforgiven, I sadly never released a standalone mission but there were many attempts to do so. I just mapped for the fun and sometimes I deceided to show some screenshots of my work. Maybe this will change with the Dark Mod? Let's see. ;)

I was part of the Night Falcon team which created the "Night Falcon" campaign.

http://www.zinkchristine.de/pageM017.html

I worked on this mission together with Christine, a german mapper. Big parts of the crypt and cathedral are my work.

Thank you!

@ nbohr1more: I set the value to 6. According to the beginner's guide it should be lower than 8 and higher than 4. Maybe it looks strange because I brighten the picture?

That was just a test. One our other new mappers released a beta without a functional Ambient_World so I thought I'd see if the same problem was happening with your shot. :)

AluminumHaste provides me with screens for the Moddb site and sometimes they lean a little too dark. I brightened-up his last shots from Business as Usual and Siege Shop in GIMP with the brightness and contrast settings which worked fairly well though probably not as well as Serpentine's photoshop method.

Keep it up! You're doing great :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

.....I worked on this mission together with Christine, a german mapper. Big parts of the crypt and cathedral are my work.

I can't wait to see your first maps ;) ;) ;) ;)

Edited by Berny

http://www.zinkchris...e/pageM017.html

I worked on this mission together with Christine, a german mapper. Big parts of the crypt and cathedral are my work.

Yeah, I recall that place! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That was just a test. One our other new mappers released a beta without a functional Ambient_World so I thought I'd see if the same problem was happening with your shot. :)

AluminumHaste provides me with screens for the Moddb site and sometimes they lean a little too dark. I brightened-up his last shots from Business as Usual and Siege Shop in GIMP with the brightness and contrast settings which worked fairly well though probably not as well as Serpentine's photoshop method.

Keep it up! You're doing great :)

I could brighten them myself but I wanted to leave them as natural as I could for you because you asked me to. But I'll brighten the latest ones up as I agree they are way to dark.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Sorry AH. I probably forgot a point in the conversation where I told you to send the pics unprocessed. The problem is that you have been sending Jpegs in your recent submissions (vs PNG). It does save me time but it makes editing the brightness a problem because it amplifies the compression artifacts.

I don't calibrate my monitor so I didn't want to mess with your shots for fear that I would ruin the look on properly calibrated screens. After a couple of folks confirmed that the shots were a bit too dark I brightened some of them.

Now since you have the uncompressed original versions, you can brighten the shots without introducing artifacts if you want. For your last shots I had to upscale the resolution of the shots then brighten then downscale. It actually introduced a little artificial image quality kinda like a post-process AA but it's not exactly honest as far as what an end-user will ever see :laugh:

I was planning to do that trick to Biker's Alberic's Curse pics since I just brightened them without the upscale\downscale and it left some blocky jpeg artifacts. :wacko:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sorry AH. I probably forgot a point in the conversation where I told you to send the pics unprocessed. The problem is that you have been sending Jpegs in your recent submissions (vs PNG). It does save me time but it makes editing the brightness a problem because it amplifies the compression artifacts.

I don't calibrate my monitor so I didn't want to mess with your shots for fear that I would ruin the look on properly calibrated screens. After a couple of folks confirmed that the shots were a bit too dark I brightened some of them.

Now since you have the uncompressed original versions, you can brighten the shots without introducing artifacts if you want. For your last shots I had to upscale the resolution of the shots then brighten then downscale. It actually introduced a little artificial image quality kinda like a post-process AA but it's not exactly honest as far as what an end-user will ever see :laugh:

I was planning to do that trick to Biker's Alberic's Curse pics since I just brightened them without the upscale\downscale and it left some blocky jpeg artifacts. :wacko:

Well the images were captured with 32xAA or whatever Doom 3 does when you set a jitter value for the screenshot bind (i.e. bind F12 screenshot 1920 1200 32). I would be adjusting the images straight from the uncompressed TGAs that Doom3 outputs, then saving them as jpeg. I'll give it a shot in a few minutes I got my laptop here, just need to set it up.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hey there,

Welcome Seuchensoldat! I just looked at your website - to my shame I didn't even know people made System Shock II mods! >.>

Really looking forward to seeing your plans! =-3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

heheh, you are evil.. :-)

;)

yeah bring us more wicked things PranQster :D

Hehe, to be sure.

some fog will be nice for a such place...

All in good time. When I took the screenshot, only 1 worldspawn box existed with that scene in it. I am far, far from done with this mission. But yes, I agree, fog will be necessary.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I used a ragdoll corpse and rotated it back 90 degrees and placed it over the slightly enlarged stump. The ragdoll's arms and legs sunk into the tree stump a little, so I placed a nodraw solid brush just under the stump surface.Then I needed to make the ropes, which I did with bent cylinder patches, made them function static and solid 0, so they would not interfere with the ragdoll position. Then it was a matter of rotating, moving and resizing each rope piece until they rendered in the correct position on the ragdoll's arms and legs. Resizing a patch which has been made func_static only requires you to press TAB while it is selected... then it can be stretched as though it were still worldspawn.

Of course, I plan to rescue that corpse, so I had to change the shouldered name from "corpse" to whatever name she will have and just pretend that she's unconscious.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I was thinking of trying to make a TDM FM that hasn't been done yet. Perhaps a very old and abandoned part of the city. Most of the buildings are ruins. A bit like the haunted city level from thief 1. I've done some work on the ruins of a cathedral.

post-3947-131922593635_thumb.jpg

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Ruined buildings are a maaajor pain in the ass to build, I'm finding. <_<