The Dark Mod Forums

Localizations

Hyeron

Try setting the cvar sys_lang to "french" by typing this into the console:

seta sys_lang "french"

Once we have more than one officially supported language, perhaps this could go into the menu settings.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I haven't looked very deeply into the multilingual setup of Doom 3, but I know a little:

You'll need to create a file in the strings directory, named french.lang.

Once this file is created you can switch to the french language by setting sys_lang to french, like Crispy mentioned. You'll need to restart for the changes to take effect. Note: the game won't accept "french" if the strings/french.lang is not existing and will switch back to English.

As a side effect, the game will also try to load the 3 default fonts (an, bank and micro) from the fonts/french folder, but it won't do any harm if it can't find them, I guess.

@Hyeron: The code change you did is fine, but note that it only affects the fallback value of the text displayed on the HUD. The entity's spawnarg "shouldered_name" will still override the default value if present. To make your change complete, it's also necessary to go through the .def files and move any hardcoded names to the .lang file, and replace their occurrences with #str0NNN. At spawn time, the game will look up these strings and replace them with the correct localised term.

I guess it makes the most sense if you become a Contributor (I already talked to the team about this already), so that you can work on our latest source. As you don't have much coding experience (at least that's what I assume) I'd like to review any changes you make to the repository - if you're determined to learn a few things and are willing to take some advice from our side, I'm happy to pull you on board so that you can work on any localization stuff.

Note that some things in our codebase are not quite prepared to get localized, so you'll have to have some patience before TDM is fully translatable. The most prominent issue I have in mind are the inventory_hotkey and inventory_use commands, which are referring to the inventory item's display name, which will break as soon as they are localized. I already have a solution for that on my mind, but don't expect that very soon.

If you're ok with that, we can go ahead and make you a Contributor, and you can request an SVN username and password from sparhawk.

Well it... certainly might be an interesting ride and all... I'm a bit er... surprised there, I never EVER thought about this kinda stuff, given the only time I played with source CODE (recent stuff, I mean) was to modify wquizz for xchat and it took me WEEKS to just get two or three new functionalities and a correct display (then my rig died and I lost the whole stuff, but that's another story) - and that's FAR from C... I'm just used to trial and error and just... well, the worst I've seen (Thief translation related) was Calendra's Cistern. So we ain't talking a high skillz level here. :blink:

I'm more than willing to learn of course, and I'm not in a hurry anymore - well, I won't be once I get that .so to compile for the GNU/Linux version at least - so it's not a problem if a few things aren't immediately translatable - a quick hack on the side produced something viable, if unofficial and still unaccented (blasted q3font), in french, categories excepted, so why not.

I just hope YOU have patience, I certainly have a bit of common sense (requirement for my job, that's the good news) but my only REAL coding experience is... Er... Remember C=64? (that's the UGLY news) :laugh:

You really got me off-guard here. Not even sure my contributing would be of any help to you. :blink:

@Tels - I'm all but a hero, even the little patch I created - if big in size - was so easily created, Dark Radiant is so easy to use (even for me, who never got to even create a few rooms correctly in Dromed, let alone anything water-related) compared to dromed, and the source are so easy to search once you grab a notepad++ / pspad / whatever I'm wondering how I ever could work on Dromed and T1/2. It was all a matter of search, replace, save, zip. If I were a bit more confident in my Dutch I'd throw a dutch version too. THe only stuff that requires time and skill are the textures. (e.g. mine are far blurrier than the original ones, don't know how to get something better - probably a matter of font handling in gimp compared to 'toshop - and I DON'T want to pirate 'toshop - or anything else anyway. FOSS has made miracles for the old Thief 1/2 anyway, allowing us to upgrade from edit.com and no texture editing to the whole show, video redubbing included and GUI-edition of the readables - not that we're that many to translate in the first place, but isn't that the whole point of this "job", giving the game to those who don't speak english? Finding the correct tools and learning how to use them while hacking through a whole mission for Thief with videos and stuff, then publishing tutorials for mappers and wannabe translators alike - THAT felt heroic... and EXHAUSTING. Especially the second. (I never, ever could play Calendra's Cistern afterwards. It was more a nightmare than a pleasure. :P)

PS - My dream now is to get french voices in TDM... THAT is unlikely to happen unless the whole Ubuntu-fr forum gets their eyes on TDM.:laugh:

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

And here's the full modified source if anyone's interested :P

http://www.4shared.c...kmod100src.html

And here's the Inno Setup script too, while I'm at it : http://www.4shared.c...8/1_online.html

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

GNU/Linux version (successfully finished 2 FMs on Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64) :

http://www.4shared.com/file/148000597/3d5618cf/tdm_fr_patch.html

Installation : stuff it in your darkmod folder, mv tdm_gui01.pk4, tdm_base01.pk4, tdm_defs01.pk4, tdm_game02.pk4 and gamex86.so wherever you like, chmod +x the .sh and run it.

Hopefully more people test it and find it runs correctly... ^^"

- Arab proverb

Part 2 of Fidcal's tutorial now available : 

pdf

odt

- Arab proverb

Added all releases so far in the first post and edited / translated it quite a bit. It'll make it far easier for common non-english players to find what they're looking for and see what they can get - and where - without having to read through a whole topic some of them won't understand. :)

- Arab proverb

Third part of Fidcal's guide available. See first post. Guess I can call it a day now. >_>

- Arab proverb

• 3 weeks later...

French version of The Thieves is out - see first post. :)

- Arab proverb

French version of The Thieves is out - see first post. :)

That was quick! Maybe afterall I can start to learn more than the three french words I know :P

Edit: Would you mind writing a short tutorial so other translaters can learn from it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Of course, just have to find the time... I can't promise anything, but I'll do my best to write it this WE :)

(and yes, it was quick - and updated twice after having it checked by players and myself too (translated it while Vista was updating this afternoon)... Thieves doesn't have much text, and I left the loading screens alone this time... A bit too much to edit, and the "Wanted" texture is so... "spaghetti western" I couldn't bring myself to editing it.)

- Arab proverb

First translation tutorial up, see first post.

It's not much, and sometimes it feels a bit too much like a Gimp tutorial, I know, but it should be fine (or so I hope). I just hope it's easy enough that anyone who NEVER did this kind of things should be able to pick up in as little time as possible. Vets should just check the last chapters. There are less and less instructions as the tutorial goes on, I think people are smart enough to refer to the previous chapters. :)

It won't be the last, but the rest is quite specific and I don't want to confuse any "newcomer" with stuff like hacking the briefing display etc... Oh well.

Hope some people will find it of some use, and that it's understandable enough. Any feedback is welcome ('specially about my pitiful english grammar). :)

(I'll also have to write some kind of tutorial for the translation of the Mod itself... Damn real life, I wish days were 48 hours long :s)

- Arab proverb

TBH, I should be the one thanking people all 'round.

You guys

* Allowed me to translate the missions and the mod

* Provided advice, feedback, taught me a few nice tricks

* Showed respect and care (something I haven't always faced, even when just asking authorization to translate, I assure you) - just the same for every TDM author until now, BTW

* Did the impossible: it's the first time I feel "home" in an english-speaking forum. ^_^

* Released that mod in the first place.

So enough thanks, okay? :laugh:

(and very late edit - if anyone still has questions about or after the tutorial... I guess this topic can be used to that effect given the title :))

(plus a very, very, very, oh so very late edit - finally repacked the translation with different names, updating the mod shouldn't erase them now, it's a good start. Ready for Windows, will update for GNU/Linux ASAP. :))

- Arab proverb

• 4 weeks later...

TBH, I should be the one thanking people all 'round.

You guys

* Allowed me to translate the missions and the mod

* Provided advice, feedback, taught me a few nice tricks

* Showed respect and care (something I haven't always faced, even when just asking authorization to translate, I assure you) - just the same for every TDM author until now, BTW

* Did the impossible: it's the first time I feel "home" in an english-speaking forum.   ^_^

* Released that mod in the first place.

So enough thanks, okay?   :laugh:

(and very late edit - if anyone still has questions about or after the tutorial... I guess this topic can be used to that effect given the title :))

(plus a very, very, very, oh so very late edit - finally repacked the translation with different names, updating the mod shouldn't erase them now, it's a good start. Ready for Windows, will update for GNU/Linux ASAP. :))

In case your modifications haven't entered the mod itself, can I help you somehow with that?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Could we use somehow specific non-english characters in texts? For example á é ő ú ü ö ó ű í etc...

We could. Problem is, those fonts are b*tches. It takes a LOT of work to just get a font to display properly, not counting the spacing problems etc. In other words: we can, we will. The only question is: when. If you feel like trying to work on 'em, feel free to. ;)

In case your modifications haven't entered the mod itself, can I help you somehow with that?

They haven't yet, and to be honest I don't even know what to start with, I've got so many things to do with my moving in a pair of months I haven't picked  up the code for two or three weeks. I'm on holiday next week at last, I'll start double-checking and try to work a bit more. I'll mess around with the code, then check how to integrate any positive change (I'll really need advice 'bout that, never commited anything and I don't wanna break anything either (and there are the Xmas FMs to translate too. A leg for a few additional hours a day.) ^^"

- Arab proverb

They haven't yet, and to be honest I don't even know what to start with, I've got so many things to do with my moving in a pair of months I haven't picked  up the code for two or three weeks. I'm on holiday next week at last, I'll start double-checking and try to work a bit more. I'll mess around with the code, then check how to integrate any positive change (I'll really need advice 'bout that, never commited anything and I don't wanna break anything either (and there are the Xmas FMs to translate too. A leg for a few additional hours a day.) ^^"

I'd rather have the changes a bit broken, instead of not-at-all (like if you have an accident, or your computer gets stolen etc. just to be safe :)

So, if you bounce the stuff our (my) way, we (I) can integrate it for your if you like.

Got a fee free days until 4.1.2010.