The Dark Mod Forums

[WIP] Untitled - Baddcog 1st map

Baddcog

OK, I dove in and think I'm getting a good start. Keep trying Hammer shortcuts but I'm starting to pick it up again pretty quick.

It's been a year, so I'm basically re-learning everything again. A few things like folder arrangements are coming pretty easily, but most of the tools, icons, and how to create things like entities feels like I'm starting at square one again.

I've been following Fidcal's beginner tut, reading Wiki and using Fidcal's start pack. So basically what anyone who wants to map for DM should do.

I've got the front of the manor done. I'm not gonna spoil the story (it's not much, but the will be a good mission twist) but the player will have to hop the fence and enter through the moat.

Planning on something about the size of Outpost, maybe a bit larger. Just a small mission I hope will be fun for me to make and everyone to play. Maybe it'll help show people how quick it can be and help encourage more missions. I think once a few Drommeders build a small FM they'll dig it.

Anyway, a pic of todays work. Maybe 5 hours.

post-1981-125643608619_thumb.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Pretty solid for 5 hours :D

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Another mission ^^ happyface. Keep it up, I'd like to see another TDM mission soon!

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

I am curious how you did the curving walls. Are they made of patches, or did you cut up a cylindrical prism?

[edit]Also, did you build the entire front space in a big skybox? I assume so, but please share. Especially the height in units, I am still trying to visualise how much is proper. :)

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks. After that pic I decided the player will always be inside that wall, Once I open the front door it would be too hard to optimize the street area I think. So player starts by 'jumping' into water... And probably have to open front gate to leave mission.

Shooting for a month to finish. Just try to flesh out all the basic details first and not worry about anything fancy. That always bogs me down , trying to too much small detail too early.

I've got an object or two I still need to finish so there'll be a few extras included.

@Melan,

Yeah, the round parts started as a cylinder (20 sides), then cut like a pie, then cut each wedge into wall thickness, then vert edit to clean it up.

I only did one round section, then copy/pasted a bunch and changed heights. Used the same pieces for the wall around the moat.

It is all in one big skybox for now. Once I get it all fleshed in properly I'll seal it up tight for performance. The big box thing is bad but it's alot easier to work with early on.

I did use some patches for the arches under bridge, added some columns, etc...

The best way to get a sense of proportion while mapping is to put a few AI around the map.

In terms of "box" size, there is no proper height to make it. I, personally, like to make it as short as possible for performance's sake, but others prefer it higher so sky_portal brushes can't accidently get in-between you and other buildings (which can look pretty ugly: if sky appears in front of your brushwork)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

This is great news BC. Looking forward to playing this. The more the merrier. I'm getting a bit tired of beta playing the same ones over and over (much as we all love them. :wub: )

There really is a lot of value building quick and small.

Quite a few people starting to build now so I think it's going to be a good Christmas!

Then you're in for Beta Tester Fidcal ;)

Worked more today, quite a bit done but now I'm just screwing around running through everything over and over. Done for the day.

Most of the first floor is in. Entry, guard station, waiting room, dining room, kitchen, guard quarter, pantry, main stairway, crapper.

Need to add cellar and moat exit out back, back stairway and maids quarters.

Guests will be on 2nd floor, Master on 3rd.

post-1981-125651988996_thumb.jpg

Woah, I love that stairway. I take it you intentially made them like that? Reminds me of Contantine's place in Thief. Looks like you took that screenshot from a fisheye lens.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

It looks funky because it's two pictures pasted together. ;) Confused me for a bit too.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Oh! wow. I thought it was some crazy ass funhouse thing.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Then you're in for Beta Tester Fidcal ;)post-1981-125651988996_thumb.jpg

Oh sh.. Oh yeah, super. Glad to. :)

Good job you said that Crispy because I never even saw the lower half at first. The top approximately fitted my browser window and it never occurred to me to scroll.

I wouldn't use those concave curves in those vertical corners though BC. Those are two separate walls that meet or cross at that point. If you visualize some of those large curved L-shaped stones in plan view. Great for the cleaners though! :)

Hehe yeah, that screenshot was weird. Next time maybe just raise the field of view, if you want to show more in one shot. The applicable command in doom 3 is g_fov. Of course everything is bent a little then, but at least the viewer directly realizes that... ;-)

Yeah, I just wanted to show the whole staircase instead of top or bottom ;)

Figured everyone would notice the seam.

Not really fond of the inner round corner myself either, just messin' with patches so I filled it.

The arches are proving to be more hassle than I wanted. I did figure a way to get the underside of arch to be textured without the stretch, but it doesn't align to the sides. Looks better but...

Then I went to my arch tut and did it by extruding the caps. That makes the stones on side arch around, but most of our stone textures are hard to work with, you gotta find the perfect alignment to get all bricks to match up, then you have the same tex bottom/top.

I did find the one plain brick (grey) and I think it'll work. Just need to go back and tile it now.

It was all kindof thrown together sloppy so that's making it more fun than it ought to be.

-------------

A couple things I've noticed doing this.

1: Chandeliers (3 candle). While the entity works fine the radius is really small. I think the power of 3 candles on those should be more than 3 seperate candles. The issue is I get a hotspot on the ceiling/closest walls, but the light doesn't reach the floor or light room much. And with 3 lights there already I hate to add another ambient that has to be triggered off with the extinguished candles.

So we probably need a new .def for chandelier candles with a larger radius - they seem plenty bright, maybe too bright.

2: I get random crashes when using spacebar (copy/paste) on patches, but if I hit Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V it never crashes.

3: I'll have to test, but it seems if you create an object with an alternate skin it shows in editor, but if you change skin in editor it doesn't (but is fine in game)

Got tied up detailing one corner of the house. I gotta stop doing that. Spent a bit of time working on lights, I think I'm gonna make some custom defs for the candle chandeliers so I can get a better radius from those lights.

Been trying to work with everything a bit. Lights, prefabs, entities, tex editor, water...

Finally broke down and used the texture editor to align the stones on the arches. Been so long I kindof spaced it. Now I gotta redo the other arches, but they'll look better.

Lunch time, then I'm working on getting the bottom floor floorplan finalized.

ARCH.jpg

dining.jpg

stair-1.jpg

Got tied up detailing one corner of the house. I gotta stop doing that.

Yeah. That's such a huge temptation, isn't it? I try my best to make just a very simple-looking (yet functional) mission with readables, AI patrols, and objectives first.

That way I can detail to my heart's delight and release it whenever I feel like it; not when the eye-candy feels like it's pretty enough to move on...:rolleyes:

It's looking good. Try and keep up your pace, and don't stop to brainstorm eye candy. If you need any help, just ask.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Wow, that's really looking nice already! I'm impressed what can be done so fast!

You might write something up and add these newest shots to TTLG about how it can be done pretty quickly

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

That dining room is 192 units. It's tall! The area by the stairs is alot taller, 512 from ground to top of ceiling. The guards do look pretty small, but I like how it opens up the gameplay area more. Especially for the nicer areas. But the hallways and rooms by kitchen and servants quarters are 144. That's about an average hall where you have room over the doors and don't feel like you're gonna hit your head.