The Dark Mod Forums

Make structural

ReViliTy

I don't know if & where it is in dark rad, but I do use this in doom ed. There is an option to turn patches into brushes. Selection > Make structural. I find this option very useful if i'm doing caves.

I'll create the caves or mountain sides in patches, convert it to brushes, export the obj, give it proper uvmapping, and then export it into an lwo. Usually the uv's only need a quick Atlas or LSCM. Some programs like ultimate unwrap 3d do this in one button press. The results come out very good and really fool the eye when a good texture is applied to it. I can post some screen shots to show the difference this little bit of extra work does. Another plus is that because the patches were also done in the editor first, I know they will fit into the area perfectly.

Edited by ReViliTy

Ahhh, but if the other feature to convert patches to brushes was there...you wouldn't need to have both. Wouldn't it be better to convert a patch to a brush after it has been created?

Yes indeed, but you'll loose the softiness in that case, but that wouldn't matter much if you export it to a modelling program.

(Repeat) No idea what's being talked about here. A patch, unless thickened, is two dimensional; how's that going to be a brush? A sheet (as in Unreal)? Possibly missing what's being said, I created a bevel, thickened it, tried Make Structural, all in DoomEd; it's still a patch. Tried same with a capped cylinder. Still a patch.

@ReViliTy: ?

Just export basic brushwork of whatever you want modelled. Then you have correct dimensions.

Better just to start a new model around that than try and use what was exported from game. The export is just for guidelines/shape/scale.

There's really no reason to export a patch into a model program, it's just something to bog down greebo when more important things need fixed IMO.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

There's really no reason to export a patch into a model program, it's just something to bog down greebo when more important things need fixed IMO.

Where I'm talking about adding something new to DR that doesn't exist yet you talk about adding 'align by' and 'treat as one' buttons that should cover up for being lazy. Those things can be done with an absolute minimal amount of effort without adding new buttons. You can't be serious if you think your request is more important.

Where in this thread did he imply his request was more important? :( In any case, whatever issues take priority will get fixed first I reckon.

He says my request is 'just something to bog down greebo when more important things need fixed'. If he doesn't consider his request more important than mine his request qualifies for the same. I just don't think he made a request with that kind of intent ^_^.

It doesn't really matter to me anyway I consider them both unimportant and highly optional.

• 2 weeks later...