The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Patently Dangerous (2009/10/31)

demagogue

FM Rating  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Story

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Aesthetics

I went from the starting area, hung a left, went into the alley, jumped up on the can in the corner, mantled up, then jumped across to the small ledge opposite it, then jumped across again to the left to get into Sorens lab.

I didn't do this right away, as I was stumped for quite a while.

Edited by olgeezer

I didn't do this right away, as I was stumped for quite a while.

Some other people found that way too. It wasn't actually "intended", just a side-effect of me building that house at an angle, but hey if the game lets you do it, then I think it's absolutely fair game... so in that sense it's cool that you found it.

And even the only reason I didn't intend a route like that was because I didn't want people to be able to finish without ever visiting Benson's apartment, which is what happened for you. But now that I said how to get in there in my previous post, you can see that too if you like.

I forgot to ask something:

At the end there is a coffin and if I remember right, there was a slug in there. Does it mean something? (was the slug supposed to be a real one? It didn´t moved, I know, they are slow, but not that slow!)

There's a letter in Soren's house, on a table on the first floor that explains that.

Basically:

The coffin belongs to Soren's baby daughter that Crattik dug up so Soren could experiment on her, and the snail was her dolly, just so you knew that it was really her coffin and Crattik kept it for his own sicko reasons.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

**spoilers abound, users who haven't played shouldn't read on from here**

Hey I just reinstalled Doom 3, and played v1.01 of TDM for the first time - so Patently Dangerous is the first mission I've played. I did play the beta of TDM, I think that was St Lucia or something. But anyway, that doesn't matter. I just want to say, holy jeez, this mod made me shiver at almost every stage. You have nailed the atmosphere right. While I think other areas could have been improved i.e. took me a long time to realize you could open Benson's window, and it would have been nice if all the small items could be picked up, nevertheless this mod is just amazing. I was really pleasantly surprised by it's quality - it surpasses a lot of the levels from Thief: Deadly Shadows, and is on par with the standard of quality from Thief 2.

Anyway I didn't complete the level in the intended order. I couldn't find a way into Soren's lab at first, so I went out exploring, till I got bored (KOed all the guards). So I checked this page for tips while skipping the spoilers, and found out that Benson's window could be opened. So that's what I did. I opened up his window, saved Harlan, and progressed onward from there until I was in the warehouse. Then I managed to find a way into Soren's lab by realizing that I could jump from the door and into his window.

As such, the whole narrative of the story changed for me. The order is no longer "steal half of Soren's notes from his lab > realized his heinous deeds > find the psycho". Instead, it's now "slowly unravel mystery of the murder and ignore Soren since he plays a backstage role > realize that Soren has a part to play but don't quite know it > hunt down the murderer and kill him > discover the last few bits of the puzzle and realize who's the mastermind behind it all". Having played it in the latter way really made me feel a lot more tense, and the revelation I had at the end with regards to Soren's heinous crime was well-savoured. I also felt it might not have been as scary if I had discovered Soren was related to the psychopath right from the beginning, since not knowing who the psychopath was until he finally showed himself contributed to 80% of my fear. Is he a ghoul? Some homeless street punk? The sense of mystery made me fear the psychopath even more.

I mean, I was practically shivering and breathing in huge gasps while exploring the warehouse. The suspense almost killed me - added to that, I was so afraid of opening the doors along the corridors. Seeing hung corpses, dead people killed in bloody rooms...it wasn't so much the gore that frightened me, it's just the simple fact that this added to the mystery of an unknown killer whose identity I had absolutely no idea about. I was pretty sure a sword would be able to kill him, but the fact was, I had this genuine fear of a maniac tracking my every movement in the game. How powerful is he? What weapon was he using? What did he look like? Most important question: where in the bloody nine devils is this guy?!

Added to that, I didn't actually bother to check if the closet he was hiding in was frobbable, so when he busted out of there, it really scared me pantsless lol. I have to ask, though, if you approach the door and discover it's not frobbable, does it trigger the event where he jumps out? Or do you actually have to walk past the door before it triggers the event?

So I have to say, me playing in the wrong style really added to the whole tension. I'm glad lol.

-edit- I just read through the rest of this thread, looking at some of the comments. I've added on some comments below.

Regarding the finale,

While there may be a risk of breaking something by trying to get the frob to work with the door that Crattick bursts out of, I honestly think the risk is well worth undertaking. I think it will completely just mess with the psychology of players, by leading them to believe that Crattick is hiding behind that other door with the coffin instead.

By the way I decided to add some suggestions too if you'd care to read them :)

- Audio cues as to Crattick's whereabouts. Not to lead the player to him, but to throw off the player's guard. Remember in Cradle, how that "knocking on the door" scared the hell out of many players? It'd be cool to throw around random noises that sound like footsteps, maybe falling sand/little pebbles from the ceiling, or the sound of door creaking.

- Frobbable closet door as many others have suggested would definitely throw the player's guard to the other door instead.

Edited by bad marine ass

Thanks for those great comments!

I don't think there's a "wrong" way to go and was actually expecting some people would go in the order you did. So I'm happy it played out in a cool way for you.

One thing on your last comment:

There actually are faux footsteps in the warehouse. If you go in the room with the 3 bodies and the female and stand still, you'll hear them coming from the hall. Also, occassionally Crattick sneezes and that can also be tense, lol.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Oh cool, I didn't actually hear the footsteps, because I didn't dare to go into the room LOL. I opened up the door, stood outside and was scared sh*tless. I didn't want to go into the room because there weren't good shadows in there for me to hide in. I stuck to the comfort zone of the outside corridor lol. I was really too afraid to go anywhere without finding Crattick first.

Some other people found that way too. It wasn't actually "intended", just a side-effect of me building that house at an angle, but hey if the game lets you do it, then I think it's absolutely fair game... so in that sense it's cool that you found it.

And even the only reason I didn't intend a route like that was because I didn't want people to be able to finish without ever visiting Benson's apartment, which is what happened for you. But now that I said how to get in there in my previous post, you can see that too if you like.

The only reason I went in that way was because I couldn't find any other way!

I must have roamed around for over a 1/2 hr before figuring out I could get in Sorens lab that way. TBH I was wondering if that was an intended way in, because it took me like 10 tries before I was able to make it.

So being dense like I am, I didn't get the whole story, which is fine because it gives me an excuse to replay the mission.

Re; the

unfrobable door the killer was in. I thought it was kind of cool that you couldn't frob it because when he did come out of there, I nearly crapped my pants! That was totally unexpected. BTW; I did hear the footsteps in the room with the 3 bodies, and that was nice touch as well.

I've played all the TDM missions with the exception of a couple now, and while there're all very good, it was nice to see one with a real scare factor to it.

I've started replaying this mission, and having a problem. The first 15 min. or so were fine. I then exited the game and came back to it like a 1/2 an hour later. When back in the game I noticed one of the guards that came walking down the street had only legs. No upper torso! Soon after that, the game got down to like 1/2 fps and I had to ctr, alt, del to get out. Is this because I'm using the newest version of TDP and this mission was built on the old one? If so this would explain my earlier problems when I played it the first time.

However I haven't had problems running other missions built on the earlier version even if I do leave the game and come back so just curious.

Thanks.

Edited by olgeezer

Not torso, just legs? :laugh:

I played the mission too on TDM1.01 and all was fine but the loud ambiance. I suggest just restarting the mission and hope this never happens again! ;)

As for Crattick: It was a very good idea to make him come from behind. This way you have a real fight and not just sneaking up behind him, one sword slash and that´s it. No you gonna get hurt and get your pack of adrenaline rush! cool.gif It was very cool for me ´cause I killed him on the first try. Sad, I wasn´t able to hear his footsteps. (Maybe I was too distracted by the female body... rolleyes.gif ) If I would´ve heard him it would have felt more like he sneaked up on me and spied on me. Have to replay this myself, never had Harlan rescued...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I really liked this mission. Considering it is a small map it is stuffed with gameplay. First thing I noticed was climbing over the gate from the starting point. It is just a small feature but I love it. It is something that you missed in thief. The design of the architecture sometimes felt a little off imo but nothing major. The warehouse was creepy, a true place fit for a psycopath.

I played it on expert and took me about an hour and half to complete it. Briljant design as in gameplay. You managed to use lott of space that is actuall functional for the player instead of just "pretty space".

The story what was happening in the place felt alive and I liked it a lott.

Very well done and keep those fm's coming!

I don't have this problem either. Did you install any other pk4s into your TDM or base directory? The id tech engines are notorious for causing strange problems with pk4s, even those that you have removed already.

Not sure what you mean, but yes, I have 7 or 8 missions in my darkmod folder, however they are in a separate folder.

As to only the bottom part of the guard being present, I've never seen anything like it in any game. Really looks odd. Another strange thing I noticed was that the headless guard started grunting and groaning like I was attacking him, however I never went near the guy. But I have a feeling if I play the mission and complete it all in one sitting I'll be OK, because I had the same problems before with this one, but it was only after leaving the game and going back to it later.

Maybe just some weird DM quirk.

Hmm that's really odd. Maybe reinstalling the game would fix it, though it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Actually I already tried that. As I said though, I don't believe I've had problems unless exiting the game and coming back to it. I'll wait until tonight when I have more time to see if I can complete the whole mission in one sitting. This is the only mission I've had issues with thus far, so was wondering if anyone else had come across anything like it.

Thanks for the reply.

Another strange thing I noticed was that the headless guard started grunting and groaning like I was attacking him, however I never went near the guy.

Maybe demagogue has put some kind of strange invisible monster in this mission? Who knows...

But there wasn´t blood spilling out of the guard, or was it?

Really strange thing. :unsure:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Maybe demagogue has put some kind of strange invisible monster in this mission? Who knows...

But there wasn´t blood spilling out of the guard, or was it?

Really strange thing. :unsure:

No, no blood. But it kind of sounded like he was having an orgasm or something. Oooh!, ah! Then he would sorta bend over, (even though you couldn't see the upper torso, you could tell be the reaction of his legs) and start moaning some more. I went right next to him to see what he would do, but he seemed oblivious.

You should add this to the bug tracker (Google Dark Mod bug tracker) because I don't think the people that need to know this will see it here.

Demagogue - This mission is of an excellence on par with the best I have played from a gameplay perspective.

Story and immersion wise? - Second to none.

I never expected that this mission would change from an ordinary taffing mission to a psychological horror as I progressed and got further towards solving the mystery of the murderer and his motives.

It was absolutely chilling from the moment I walked in that warehouse, the atmosphere and ambience was completely sublime. The disturbing notes about crattick painted a picture in my mind that filled me with dread as I looked around every corner and aniticpated to meet him behind every door.

The way he came out of an unsuspecting door behind me in a well lit corridor, giving me only a split second to find a shadow, was an edge of your seat moment as I was ghosting the mission - On my first attempt I RAN for the locked door which crattick held the key for in a MANIC ATTEMPT TO PICK THE DOOR! accepting defeat I turned and waited for the inevitable moment where he charged and killed me forcing me to start over!

I am surprised as you managed to create a horror scenario like this without the aid of the oft used undead!

Your writing / directing skill is more than a match for your ability to create a decent playing map! I can't wait to play more of your missions!

Nice one.

Edit to add suggestion:

One suggestion I do have for the future if you do plan to update this, would be to give crattick custom textures to make him look a bit more... evil. Even if its just the typical pale complexion and dark rings around the eyes look, atm he looks like any other mercenary / commoner with a sword and the portrayal of him in the notes scattered around doesn't quite reflect his pedestrian appearance. Not majorly important, just a suggestion ;)

Edited by Scope
-Scope

Yes, thanks for those cool words, Scope.

It inspires me to keep trying to tell interesting stories through FMs.

I really love the kind of story-telling that this medium allows.

• 7 months later...

Finally got around to this. Cool mission, but it seems like I wasn't the only one who got stuck...

I got the clue that there were unlocked windows, but I expected to see one half ajar or something. I skipped over Benson's windows several times because they all looked the same. I'd put more of a clue for openable windows -- make them all slightly brighter, or make them much brighter, or just some sort of visual feedback to make me think that's a valid goal for me, to get up there to try opening it.

Warehouse was cool though. Good work.

• 1 year later...

This mission is great. And it is fair constructed: Even in the heavy-mode i had no problems. But there is a optional quest that i can't solve:

Harlan is bounded on a chair and i have to rescue him and bring him to his bed. How can i do this ? I can't loose the rope. If i try to cut it with my weapon, i kill harlan.

---

I found the solution.

A little bit strange to knock out someone you have to rescue ;-)

Edited by john

• 4 months later...