The Dark Mod Forums

New Dark Mod folder in Doom3

shadowwalker

Hello,

I have created a new folder in the 'Doom3' folder, have followed directions on how to create a 'Dark Mod' folder but I cannot get it recognized by the computer. I have done this in the folder's tab,'C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod' When I press the 'Enter' key to put the path on the folder, I get this error msg: 'Cannot find file:///C:/Games/Doom3/darkmod'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.'

I'm stuck at this step. Please help me get through this part.

Thanks,

L. Blackthorne

Go to C:\Games\Doom3, open the File menu, choose New, then choose Folder. Type darkmod. Hit enter. You now have a C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod folder.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Go to C:\Games\Doom3, open the File menu, choose New, then choose Folder. Type darkmod. Hit enter. You now have a C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod folder.

I am unable to get the file to read 'Games\Doom3' to begin with. Would just 'Doom3' be enough and just add another folder called 'darkmod'?

Shadowwalker or L. Blackthorne

OK, forgive me if I'm wrong, but if I'm interpreting you correctly then you're reasonably new to folder hierarchies (and manipulating and organising files on a computer in general). Am I right? (If I'm wrong, then please be more specific about your problem.)

So, tiny step by tiny step, assuming you already have Doom 3 purchased, installed and patched to v1.3.1.1304:

1. Go to your Desktop.

2. Double-click "My Computer".

3. Double-click "C:".

4. Double-click "Games".

5. Double-click "Doom3".

6. Click to open the "File" menu.

7. Click "New".

8. Click "Folder".

9. Type: darkmod

10. Press Enter.

11. Double-click your new "darkmod" folder.

12. Download tdm_update_win.zip if you hadn't already.

13. Double-click on tdm_update_win.zip; you should see a window open up containing tdm_update.exe

14. Drag tdm_update.exe into the "darkmod" folder you just created.

15. Double-click tdm_update.exe.

16. Wait quite a long time for the game to download. Maybe overnight.

17. When it finishes, double-click tdmlauncher.exe to run The Dark Mod. Fingers crossed, it should work and you should be able to play the training mission.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I am unable to get the file to read 'Games\Doom3' to begin with. Would just 'Doom3' be enough and just add another folder called 'darkmod'?

Shadowwalker or L. Blackthorne

Is there a space between Doom and 3 in you directory?

Is there a space between Doom and 3 in you directory?

No there isn't. However I am trying something different. Instead of the example so frequently given, C:\games\Doom3\darkmod, my Doom directory is: C:\Doom3\ so I have just added darkmod to this path just so: C:\Doom3\darkmod. This is my latest try to make TDM work so for. I have downloaded this updater and I have gotten as far as: tdm_update.exe . I have tried to get this update.exe to work like double-clicking on it but it just goes blank with a black screen then comes right back on as it was before. So I have come this far but don't know how to download the Darkdmod thing, which I guess, is the Darkmod program itself which is supposed to take some time to download. So far nothing happens.

Thanks for any pointers on helping me to get darkmod to work.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

OK, forgive me if I'm wrong, but if I'm interpreting you correctly then you're reasonably new to folder hierarchies (and manipulating and organising files on a computer in general). Am I right? (If I'm wrong, then please be more specific about your problem.)

So, tiny step by tiny step, assuming you already have Doom 3 purchased, installed and patched to v1.3.1.1304:

1. Go to your Desktop.

2. Double-click "My Computer".

3. Double-click "C:".

4. Double-click "Games".

5. Double-click "Doom3".

6. Click to open the "File" menu.

7. Click "New".

8. Click "Folder".

9. Type: darkmod

10. Press Enter.

11. Double-click your new "darkmod" folder.

12.Did the above.

Download tdm_update_win.zip if you hadn't already.

13. Double-click on tdm_update_win.zip; you should see a window open up containing tdm_update.exe

Right. That was done.

14. Drag tdm_update.exe into the "darkmod" folder you just created.

Didn't have to drag it as it was already there where I put it

15. Double-click tdm_update.exe.

Did that but screen just went momentarily blank then just came back up. Nothing was downloaded. This is where I presently am.

16. Wait quite a long time for the game to download. Maybe overnight.

17. When it finishes, double-click tdmlauncher.exe to run The Dark Mod. Fingers crossed, it should work and you should be able to play the training mission.

Well, it didn't work that way, at least not yet. Will need further quidance as I am greatly looking forward to getting into this game.

Thanks for your help.

Shadowwalker

Well, now that you've explained your problem a bit better, I can actually help you. :rolleyes: Please be much more specific next time.

Go to your temporary files directory and clear it out. IIRC, on Vista it's C:\Users\yourWindowsusername\Local Settings\Temp and on XP it's C:\Documents and Settings\yourWindowsusername\Local Settings\Temp

Or just download the whole thing without using the updater, as MD suggests.

You might want to be a bit more specific. Just saying "it didn't work that way" doesn't give much information to the people who might want to help you. Did you actually try downloading using the torrent?

You might want to be a bit more specific. Just saying "it didn't work that way" doesn't give much information to the people who might want to help you. Did you actually try downloading using the torrent?

I downloaded the torrent successfully. Now there's supposed to be a 'tdlauncher'? Where does that come in and how do I access it?

Thanks,

shadowwalker

Did you merely download the .torrent file, or did you use a BitTorrent client to actually download the whole 1.4 GB? Just having the .torrent file by itself won't do you any good. It's just a tiny little file that tells a BitTorrent client how to get the rest of the files.

Given the level of inexperience you're displaying, I don't know that I'd recommend using BitTorrent, it might be a little beyond you.

What you really need to do is tell us what the problem is. Imagine if you went to your doctor and said "hey, doctor, something isn't quite right with my body" and then refused to give any further information. Do you think you'd get very good medical help? I don't think so! :)

Computers are the same. You need to tell us exactly what is "not working", and in what way it's not working. Everything you did and everything that happened (or failed to happen) in response. As much information as you can possibly provide. Not just "didn't work, give me more help".

The quality and quantity of the help we can provide is directly related to the quality and quantity of the information you give us.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you merely download the .torrent file, or did you use a BitTorrent client to actually download the whole 1.4 GB? Just having the .torrent file by itself won't do you any good. It's just a tiny little file that tells a BitTorrent client how to get the rest of the files.

Given the level of inexperience you're displaying, I don't know that I'd recommend using BitTorrent, it might be a little beyond you.

What you really need to do is tell us what the problem is. Imagine if you went to your doctor and said "hey, doctor, something isn't quite right with my body" and then refused to give any further information. Do you think you'd get very good medical help? I don't think so! :)

Computers are the same. You need to tell us exactly what is "not working", and in what way it's not working. Everything you did and everything that happened (or failed to happen) in response. As much information as you can possibly provide. Not just "didn't work, give me more help".

The quality and quantity of the help we can provide is directly related to the quality and quantity of the information you give us.

Crispy:

Your observations about my computer experience is correct. It's quite modest but I do the best I can with it.

Between the time we last exchanged correspondence, I have been working, off and on, on getting the Dark Mod to work and I finally have! Yes, I persevered with TDM, and finally realized success with it, I think it was yesterday and have been running the Training Mission to get the feel of how the game operates. The graphics are tremendous and it has been well worth the effort.

But I have run into a problem: Since the Training Mission is already there with the game, I have wanted to get the four additional missions but have no idea how to get the TDM to detect them so I can make use of them. I have looked for directions on how to do this but cannot find any.

Would you have any ideas on how I can get to use the four additional missions?

I should add that I have dragged and dropped these missions into a desktop folder simply called 'New Folder' which is where they still are.

Thanks, and thank you for your patience with me.

Shadowwalker

Edited by shadowwalker

But I have run into a problem:  Since the Training Mission is already there with the game, I have wanted to get the four additional missions but have no idea how to get the TDM to detect them so I can make use of them.  I have looked for directions on how to do this but cannot find any.

Would you have any ideas on how I can get to use the four additional missions?

I should add that I have dragged and dropped these missions into a desktop folder simply called 'New Folder' which is where they still are.

shadowwalker, those mission files you downloaded should be placed in the \darkmod\fms folder located within your Doom 3 folder. Do not extract the files, and be sure they have the extension pk4 and not zip. TDM will do the rest.