The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Grand Christmas FM Contest!

Fidcal

Sounds fair. The 5th is possible, the 12th is generous.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

So, how many christmas FMs are still in the works? Melan is working on one and Bikerdude right? Any others?

I just thought, for the time DM 1.0 is out, there are quite a nice amount of FMs ready. What would you say how many there will be in like... a year? After the christmas contest, the counter will slow down, we have now 10, if SL and TD1 getting updated - 12. So i think it will be around 25-28 @ 2011 (well i hope that it will be more ;) ).

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Yes, I am still working on mine, and shooting for a release on Monday. Most of the fixable gameplay/tech bugs have been ironed out, but there is still some performance optimalisation that could be done.

I expect ca. 30-40 FMs in the year, but most of those will be smallish experimental efforts.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

If I might add, another FM is supposed to be released this week. I don't have the Okay to give out details, but you can expect a mansion mission that will make your heart race more than just a few times.  ;)

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I expect ca. 30-40 FMs in the year, but most of those will be smallish experimental efforts.

This would still mean 2-3 FMs per month, which is really okay. If the TDM community can keep this pace in 2010, this will set the way for the next years, I think.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

If I might add, another FM is supposed to be released this week. I don't have the Okay to give out details, but you can expect a mansion mission that will make your heart race more than just a few times. ;)

Heart race sounds promising, this week sounds good too. I am already excited :)

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Please don't forget to ask for a time extension if needed.

I'm just evaluating where we stand with this Xmas compo as I aimed at closing at midnight with only confirmed late-comers allowed (ie only Biker so far.)

This is my list so far with Biker's still to come. Can anyone let me know if there are any others or any of these shouldn't be on? Once Biker's is published I'll close this to any further entrants I think then allow a decent time for voting.

Business as usual by BikerDude

Living Expenses by Sonosuke

The Parcel by Xonze

Return to the City by Melan

The Sons of Baltona 1 by Carnage

Too Late by Nielsen74

All entries are now in but voting will remain open until Midnight 31st January, 2010 [GMT] so there is a fair representation. Results will be a weighted calculated percentage so total votes is not directly critical. All that matters is that there is a reasonable number of votes for each.

[EDIT] Above time UK time GMT. And voting can continue indefinitely as far as I know but wont' count towards the contest after the above time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it may be too early for that at this stage of TDM's development, plus there is probably a cycle right now where people who participated in the contest are working on missions of their own (not me, unfortunately, but if I could, I would). An Autumn contest - maybe more sensible.

I think it may be too early for that at this stage of TDM's development, plus there is probably a cycle right now where people who participated in the contest are working on missions of their own (not me, unfortunately, but if I could, I would). An Autumn contest - maybe more sensible.

Hmm a summer might contest would be good, Goldchoboo and my mission's are probably gonna be released during the summer..... - that said we all know gold is gonna slam everyone with his...:laugh:

Edited by Bikerdude

No harm in starting a thread and chatting about it for a month or two to get ideas. How many would be interested? When? A month contest? A week? A particular size or style limit? Look at ttlg for tons of ideas - they've done loads.

yeah, why not start such a thread.

I've a suggestion: We could make a theme-contest. There are several themes for choosing. For example "bank robbery", "haunted chapel" or "Over the roofs of City XY" for each mapper one setting - Everybody who would like to make a map has to take one of the settings and make the best of it. So there would be a variety a different maps and settings.

yeah, why not start such a thread.

I've a suggestion: We could make a theme-contest. There are several themes for choosing. For example "bank robbery", "haunted chapel" or "Over the roofs of City XY" for each mapper one setting - Everybody who would like to make a map has to take one of the settings and make the best of it. So there would be a variety a different maps and settings.

yeah remember what happened contest 7 (T3' second contest). Cancelled due to lack of participation. T3 ed was new in its time and that's their common ground, so there shouldn't be rush and same mistake imo. It'll be much better to see how many people will attempt to new contest before starting it. ;)

I've a suggestion: We could make a theme-contest.

In my opinion any future contest should encourage mappers to make something that takes advantage of TDM's strengths. Sections with rope arrows and puzzles that use object manipulation would go down well I think.