The Dark Mod Forums

Linux sound issue / minor dropouts

plasticman

Hi.

I'm sorry to post, since it's almost off topic. When running TDM on Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) I will occasionally get little cracks and dropouts in sound playback. Seems to be related to the number of sounds beeing played simultaniously -- like on the menu screen I can hear the title music, but when hovering over the menu cracks may occur due to the additional sound played.

I start the mod from a terminal and get the following error message (lots of them) when it happens:

snd_pcm_writei 4096 frames failed: Broken pipe
preparing audio device for output

Digging through the omniscient internet brought up a few things. It happens on linux with id Tech 4 based games usually when people use ALSA and the same soundhardware like me (soundblaster live 5.1 player). The Doom Linux FAQ suggests switching from ALSA to OSS.

[i remember I had a similar problem with playback in Audacious (a Winamp substitute), turning to oss-emulation solved it.]

So my only question for now is: how do I run TDM and tell Doom to use oss? I tried passing the "+set s_driver oss"-argument with the tdmlauncher, what didn't seem to do anything.

:unsure:

Try putting +set s_driver oss into dmargs.txt

Edit: Damnit MD. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanksalot.

"+set driver oss " makes things much better for me.

There are still some clicks but very few. Guess I should consider getting my hands dirty and fix it from the ALSA side. Or just try another soundcard.

Thank you anyway.

I can't help but think that is either an Ubuntu issue or pulseaudio issue. I have both Azalia onboard and an SBLive card, but have no problems with sound in TDM.

I had issues with Ubuntu and my onboard Azalia sound chip, so I went back to using Mandriva to fix it. Basically, I could not get the Azalia chip working with Ubuntu after 8.04 (32 or 64bit), period, yet no other non-Ubuntu distro had that issue (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Mint all had the same problem). IIRC, I'd also disabled Pulseaudio because it won't work with Savage 2. 

So, I have the same sound card, using ALSA, and have no sound issues, but am not using Ubuntu or Pulseaudio.