The Dark Mod Forums

Savegame problems

Haplo

New Horizon, these are new saves. I never played v1.00.

I think this Shumnee's case might be related to another topic I started yesterday (Crashes to desktop with TDM 1.01). There seems to be some kind of incompatibility between the old training mission and TDM 1.01. This time the savegames are not getting terribly big as they did with 1.00, but I'm getting CTD's frequently with training mission. However I've played thru/tested about a half of all TDM fan missions with the new 1.01 and only training mission seems to be apt to these crashes. Crash happens most usually when saving or loading the game but sometimes it can also happen when just moving around.

thx. I'll try fan missions.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that maps saved with the new version of dark radiant are smaller than the old version, about 35k shorter, so all the pre 1.01 maps probably have to be loaded into darkradiant, saved, and dmap'ed in doom3 to stop them from crashing.

You have to do this when there's an update to hammer and source.

didn't someone say that the training mission had some odd shaped textures some that arn't divideable by 2,

which cause a crash with ati cards, while nvidia just ignore the error.I know its the save file thats crashing but it might be crashing due to it trying to load wrong shaped textures. Although I got a feeling it might be a zeroed brush.

Edited by stumpy

The only change with regards to the map output (DarkRadiant 1.2.0+) is the fix for preventing negative zeros being saved to the file. So everything which read "-0" before is now "0". Though I'm unsure whether this single byte would make up a total difference of 35kB.

FINALLY reproduced the crash in 1.01, even with a fresh dmap. I madly mashed the quicksave key when a pop-up tip was fading in.

It breaks at line 528 of SaveGame.cpp ( idSaveGame::WriteRenderEntity( ) ) where it tries to save the GUI.

for( i = 0; i < MAX_RENDERENTITY_GUI; i++ ) {
BREAK 	WriteUserInterface( renderEntity.gui[ i ], renderEntity.gui[ i ] ? renderEntity.gui[ i ]->IsUniqued() : false );
}

post-2515-126876451979_thumb.png

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

• 1 month later...

I'd like to report that I am also having the savegame problem with the newly released campaign, No Honor Among Thieves.

My symptoms are exactly those described in this post:

http://modetwo.net/d...post__p__205330

I am running TDM ver 1.01 (release build) and have Doom3 patched up to the latest.

Here is the stack trace from WinDBG

ChildEBP RetAddr 
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
02ffeff0 103f85b8 gamex86!GetGameAPI+0xa57a4 <---------- (CRASH! note: EAX is 0x0 and EBX is 0x7)
02ffeff4 10063735 gamex86!ilConvertImage+0x12b554
02fff014 10063931 gamex86+0x63735
00000000 00000000 gamex86+0x63931

It's not much as I don't have complete symbols, but the last 2 frames seem to be reliable enough for you to see where it crashed. "gamex86.dll" seems to be the culprit. I assume this is where a lot of the "hooks" for DarkMod reside.

Here are the stats on the gamex86.dll located in Politics\ (the first mission of this campaign):

Size: 4,176,384 bytes

MD-5: e98603e922b6f7a0985a96054a577d1e

And, FYI. The size of the offending savegame is 51MB. As a comparison, the size of a "clean" savegame I did at the VERY beginning of the mission is 45 MB.

Edited by elkston

Did you have the crash on the first or second mission?

My quicksave for the first is up to 72 MB! But I had no crashes. While Betatesting I had exactly this crash on the second mission. (In the caves upon quickloading, and on a later runthrough while quicksaving!! And as I wanted to end the mission (fulfilling objectives, not just quit).

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Did you have the crash on the first or second mission?

The first mission. I am still playing it - trying to get through without having to reload. It actually adds some pretty neat

tension. You know, it wouldn't be so bad if the initial game load times on TDM weren't so long.

Okay, I'm staying the heck out of the various NHAT threads, keeping my head low! Only daring to even glance about in here! I will not be spoiled by bespoilment!

Anyway, I got through politics fine -- no crashes (well some, but nothing irritating)...

But now, quite early on, I've crashed quite heavily in anoott... so heavily last time (BSOD, which is a first for TDM -- and extreme, I needn't say). I shan't go back until I find out what others are experiencing.

Experiencing as far as crashes go, that is.

Anyone have anything that ugly (BSOD)?

Thanks.

ETA: Something obviously amiss? : While the politics saves climbed to ~55MB, these anoott started at ~73MB...

ETA some more: BTW, politics was gorgeous! I see you working :);) XD

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

In short, anoott has more objective data, AI data, movables, lights, and dynamic ents (like swaying flowers) to keep track of in the savegame file.

The release version of anoott has not given me a hard crash / to-desktop / freeze yet.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Thanks for that info, MD. I'll go back in. I don't mind a CTD or even a series of CTDs; but a BSOD is something I will not play around with; I got other tings doin tings, diskee tings, and don't need no corruptions.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

blue screen of death

you get it when windows crashes, it will display a bunch of hex addresses related to the hardware on your system, saying there's something wrong with the hardware or drivers for hardware.

Edited by stumpy

Also getting the invalid handle crash for NHAT during the first mission. If that can be of any help, I am in the Cathedral and both ambient soundtracks (monastery and exterior) start playing when I load the savegame. It crashes a few instants later.

Edited by Briareos H