The Dark Mod Forums

Would like to offer my services for MUSIC, AMBIENCE, and SFX

paperbag846

Hello,

I'm pretty handy with sound production software, and I excel at moody, ambient tracks that would be well suited for TDP.

I have some demo mp3s that were NOT made with thief in mind, but they are a showcase of the types of textures I am capable of producing.

I am fluent in: garageband, ableton live, audacity. I am a Mac user who dual boots XP.

I would like to contribute sounds akin to the ambiance of Thief I. In my opinion, that soundtrack was the most steam-punk / industrial of the 3 games, which really added to the creep-and-grit-factor so integral to my thief-related memories.

Think rumbling tones, overlay-ed with machine noises, nature, and minimalistic synths etc. I also use a number of delays with my guitar to make ambient sounds that are much more organic than possible with a synth.

This project is high-quality, and the most exciting thief-related project I've seen in years and years. I want to help you guys make it true to the 1998 - 2001 era of thief, the "golden years" that no other stealth game has seemed to be able to approach since then.

----

I would also be able to take a crack at sound effects. But I would be lying if I said I had much experience in that field. Still, my work is free and I'd be willing to give it a shot.

I have no experience modding with Doom 3, so I would need advise on sound formats.

Thanks for your consideration! Keep up the amazing work.

love,

Paperbag

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to contribute sounds akin to the ambiance of Thief

We certainly wouldn't turn down good quality ambients or sound effects. Why not create a few "thiefy" ambient tracks and post them?

• 3 weeks later...

okay,

after i fix the PC at my club house i will be offering my services to all of you free of charge.

(hard drive crashed and i am shuffling files around for a fresh install of Windows)

a bunch of us hang out and create sounds on location.

we also do field recordings of interesting sounds.

anyhow, we already have everything to make any sounds that you desire,

and if you have any requests i will do my best to come up with something real good.

i can do analogue and/or digital sound effects,

i can give you drones and ambient tracks,

i also have a large group of people for voice work.

we have lots of recording/editing software/hardware so anything is possible!

here are my links so that you know i am not making up fanciful stories.

although these do not necessarily represent the sounds that you are looking for.

(in the pacific north west USA "harsh noise" is all the rage right now)

http://shack.brizbomb.com/

http://loopletcher.brizbomb.com/

http://imlooloo.brizbomb.com/

http://spidertombs.brizbomb.com/

http://pitbull.brizbomb.com/

and the leader/owner of our club house:

http://brizbomb.brizbomb.com/

my indy cassette label will will be up soon at SlugNutty.brizbomb.com,

featuring local noise artists and less harsh sounds than the links posted above.

also, you can look at my latest gear setup for live performances here:

http://www.facebook....e&id=1050384993

9523_1170134647446_1050384993_30428633_3825143_n.jpg

i look forward to working with all of you.

contact me and i will get to work right away.

no job is to big or to small, just give us credit for the things that you use.

thanks,

~Mark

oh man, i didn't think about that.

i didn't mean to take over your thread,

i just didn't want to clutter up the board by starting the exact same thread again.

hope you don't mind.

i will move it if you would like me to.

sorry,

~Mark

ps.

actually this thread should be stickied so all the sound artists can post in one place.

it would be allot easier for the mappers to locate us.

Edited by Loopy

Not a problem in any way, shape or form[im not even sure what you were concerned about;)].

One thing is for sure, we seem to need more city ambiance sounds, I see some of them used over and over. Right now we also have a lot of music tracks taking the place of environment sounds, but im not sure if thats by choice or by necessity. Hopefully some mappers will come in here and put up their requests.

If you rename the the sound .pk4 files to .zip, you can extract them and see what the mod has currently. If you want to experiment with them in-game, you can re-create sound folder or any part of it and the game will use whatever you have in it instead of what is in the .pk4 files.

It would be great to have more sound effects - especially in the area of collision sounds TDM is a bit under-equipped.

For instance, I can think of the wooden plank which is currently using a blackjack hit sound, or mugs and bottles hitting various surfaces. Or stones colliding with surfaces. Can you do any of these?

That would be great. :) We're badly in need of collision sounds for wooden planks, wooden chairs, and tools like axes, hammers, etc. TDM allows for a random selection of multiple sounds, so ideally we would like a few varations of each object.

Valid sound files are 1 or 2 channel, 16 bit OGG or WAV files at 11025, 22050 or 44100 Hz.

okay so i fired up Gold, Metal Age and Deadly Shadows to listen to collision sounds.

to my ears it sounds like each item has 4 sounds and they make one sound per contact.

so if you bump a bottle a sound happens,

it falls over a sound happens,

it hits the wall a sound happens,

it falls to the floor a sound happens.

wood, stone, metal and glass,

4 base sounds per item with a few variations of each.

but each incident has a single sound.

is this correct?

I think 44kHz is the highest frequency Doom3 will accept? What about 16 bit vs. others? I'm still confused on what all that means....

I've determined 44kHz in 24 bit is the best recording mode. Its almost universally standard at this point.

44kHz stands for the amount of "sound slices" per second, and 24bit (16bit, 32bit) is for the bit depth of the sound itself. All you need to understand is 32bit sounds to snappy or as too much high end (due to too much bit depth, reproducing sounds that the human ear does not like), and same goes for kHz. Also, the higher your kHz, the more cpu usage ie 98kHz is double that of 44kHz. 44kHz/32bit is teh win.

okay so i fired up Gold, Metal Age and Deadly Shadows to listen to collision sounds.

to my ears it sounds like each item has 4 sounds and they make one sound per contact.

so if you bump a bottle a sound happens,

it falls over a sound happens,

it hits the wall a sound happens,

it falls to the floor a sound happens.

wood, stone, metal and glass,

4 base sounds per item with a few variations of each.

but each incident has a single sound.

is this correct?

Heya, yeah, incident has a single sound. The mod currently uses up to 4 sounds per item, but doesn't yet distinguish between what the object has impacted with[that i know of]. For that reason, i've been making sounds on hard wood, which kinda produces a sound exceptable for both stone [~60% of the floor surfaces?] and wood[~40% of floor surfaces?].

Actually, the code can distinguish between impacts on different kinds of surfaces, though I'm not really up to speed on how it works.

Sorry Loopy, im an animation guy. When i tested that, i tried it on a mat and soft sofa, which didn't yield a difference. Looks like carpets do produce a soft thump sound and seems to be chosen from a variety of soft impact sounds rather than a dedicated sound for each item. Thats all the testing i have time for atm.

All you need to understand is 32bit sounds to snappy or as too much high end (due to too much bit depth, reproducing sounds that the human ear does not like), and same goes for kHz.

I figured it's kind of like your graphics card trying to render infrared too. Unless you're a reptile that REALLY likes videogames it would be fairly useless.