The Dark Mod Forums

Super Helmet--call For Concept Art

Springheel

Our plan was to have one type of helmet that makes regular guards immune to blackjacking on regular settings. I'm personally wondering if we need that...after all, we are making all elite guards immune to blackjacking (not because of their helmets, but just because of their awesome reflexes and general alertness), and FM authors could just use them whenever they want a guard that can't be BJed.

Still, I thought I would see if we can come up with a good concept for one anyway. Let's face it, in real life all helmets would make you immune to blackjacking (and players will be able select a setting that does just this if they want). For gameplay though, these helmets are somehow better than regular helmets.

Problem is, how do you make them look "better" enough? I found a couple interesting designs that would be difficult to BJ (helmets covered in spikes, or a spanish conquistador helmet), but I didn't think they'd suit the Thief style very well.

Anyway, thought I would open it up to the Art division, and see what you guys could come up with.

Job: A Helmet that makes the wearer immune to blackjacking

Requirements: Must be visually distinct from other helmets; must appear somehow to provide better protection than regular helmets.

Post your results here. :)

Here's one I came up with. This looks very sturdy and protective, in my opinion, and retains a medieval look. I made this concept based on three different medieval helmets I found online. I basically created the concept based on what I felt the best parts of each one were.

Players could tell the difference with this helmet by the wrap around face and a pointy top piece. The pointy top could be seen from every angle, thus making it easier to identify. Perhaps a thick chain mail shrouding could also be worn underneath, falling over the shoulders, providing even more protection.

Helmet1.jpg

EDIT: Good job, kfmccall. I see you're branching out in our concept art world! That's great news for us :) I have to say, if I'm to give some feedback on those, that they maybe look a little too futuristic. That's just my opinion though. Thanks again, man! (...err, or woman, depending on your gender. If you're female, though, I think you'd be our first one on DarkMod.)

Edited by Darkness_Falls

I like that one too Darkness Falls. My only gripe would be it looks like it might limit peripheral vision. That's a good idea with the pointy top identifier. However, do players really need to tell that it's un bj-able from all angles? I would think they'd just have to take a look at the back of it when they're thinking about going in for the KO.

I like that one too Darkness Falls.  My only gripe would be it looks like it might limit peripheral vision.  That's a good idea with the pointy top identifier.  However, do players really need to tell that it's un bj-able from all angles?  I would think they'd just have to take a look at the back of it when they're thinking about going in for the KO.

Limiting the peripheral vision of an un BJ-able guard sounds like an even tradeoff to me. If we can't blackjack them, it seems okay to me that their peripheral vision might be limited.

I think we should be careful to NOT give every guard efficient, streamlined armour with hardly any movement restrictions. Some guards should have movement hindrances and encumbrances (or appear to have). Nike wasn't around in the medieval times :)

As for seeing the pointy thing from all angles, I would personally appreciate that. No matter what angle I watch or approach a guard from, I'd want to know if he is an un-BJ'able guard or not. I approach guards from every angle in T2. Keep in mind that removing the pointy thing will make it more difficult to see this is an un-BJ'able guard from behind because you won't be able to see the wrap-around face shield.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

IMO these helmets here look more like ones you go to war with. A guard wouldn't expect an all out attack and is mainly there to stiffle attacks form the beginning, so I don't know why they would need such big helmets. Just look at helmets from english police (bobby?). They are pretty much the same style they were about 100 years ago. If you look at preussian police uniforms they also never had such helmets for regular duty.

Gerhard

I guess I just relate medieval times to castles, armour and wars/conflicts; and castles were sometimes attacked. So to me, it doesn't look out of place, considering Thief has a medieval flavor to it. But I'm not a historian :blink: We'll see what the consensus of everyone is, so we know what to do with the concept drawings. Sparhawk - It's a point I hadn't really thought about though. Thanks!

I don't really have a problem. But even when you look at Thief they didn't usually have these type of helmets. I think even the unbj guards didn't have this style. They just had a neck protection IMO. Don't know any level where they are right now, so I can't check it.

Gerhard

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just had chain mail around their neck or something, with a skull cap helmet of some sort. I'm definitely down with imitating Thief, but I just remember it took me a long time to figure out why some guards wouldn't go down with a BJ *thwap!* I was hoping we could come up with something a little more visually obvious.

KFM: Some great ideas! The overlapping metal does work very nicely. I think #1 would be excellent for the elite city watch, or perhaps #6. I think #3 is my vote for regular guards at this point.

DF: Helmet looks good--we should definitely use it for some type of guard.

non Bj helmets with a longer back and a nose gurd like we discussed before. Why are you bringing this up again?

I explained that in the first post. Why should a nose guard make someone less likely to be bjed? A longer back might help, but it depends on the design.

THe nose guard is to make it visually distinctive from the front, the bit at the back to show it's phisically impossible to get a BJ hit.

What about 'mechanists'? I thouygt we were having this futuristic city now with 'mechanists' in it. We'll need to design them as well now.

#2 would do for mechanists.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

the bit at the back to show it's phisically impossible to get a BJ hit.

I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter WHAT the helmets look like, as long as they work. But I think it will be easier to swallow if when you look at them you think, "Yeah, that would be kind of hard to blackjack through". Like the multiple layer effect in some of KFM's drawings.

What about 'mechanists'? I thouygt we were having this futuristic city now with 'mechanists' in it. We'll need to design them as well now.

Yeah, mechanists are on the list. We can hold off on creating them just yet...if we're going to have mechanists in our campaign we should get some firmer ideas about what they're all about and then design them based around that setting.

But I agree helmet #2 would be a good look for them. :)