The Dark Mod Forums

Elite City Guard Concept

kfmccall

I didn't want to post this in the other elite thread for developement is flying so fast in these threads that the concept may have been missed.

I think if the city guard emblem (bird symbol) was also textured on top of the large pauldrons on this concept it might turn out nice. That little niche would add to the more elaborate feel of the elite guards and would help to distinguish them from the average guards.

post-4-1106194033.jpg

That would work, yes - apart fromt the helm which looks more greek or roman than medieval.

I always think shoulder pads or pauldrons on their own without a suit of other armour or at least a breastplate look silly. They'd be complely unecessary for what are essentially policemen. They also add extra work to the animations, since the shoulder area is almost always in action.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I think if the city guard emblem (bird symbol) was also textured on top of the large pauldrons on this concept it might turn out nice.

Agreed. Very nice work!

Does anyone need anymore character concepts?

I can't seem an assignment list for objects/environments that need concept art. So if someone could specify what aspects of the mod need concept art I'd be glad to get started up again now that my SAT's are out of the way.

Thanks,

Kevin M.

Loot would be useful, as Sparhawk said. But I think you definitely should be working closely with Renzatic on the design of this mansion. He will really benefit from more interior shots of what the various rooms might look like.

Another thing that would be handy, although less important right at the moment, would be expanding on those pictures that BlackThief posted of the multi-story city buildings. I'm sure we will be including some city streets in one of our early maps, and having more pictures like those would be a great help to mappers. Especially if we were able to include some steampunk elements into the design, which those images lacked.

And if you're really in the mood to do character art, we can never have too many townsfolk concepts. :)

Pipes, factories, smokestacks, weird lamp-posts...you've played Thief, right?

I would add that it's kind've an alternate reality, where many technological advances have been made using simple steam power and mechanical gears/clockwork. Electricity exists, but it's mostly used to power things, the precise control of things is still mostly done by gears. I don't know, maybe that's "clockpunk." I've been wanting to read "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson again. I started reading it a long time ago and stopped.

Oh ok I thought steampunk might be some software plugin or something.

That's one for the quote scroll indeed :) :) :)

You should do a search on the net for "steam punk" or "steampunk"

If you've seen "Wild Wild West" with Will Smith in it, that is steam punk. Steam engine technology taken to ridiculous extremes - eg. huge steam powered cities, with monorail type transportation, steam powered robots, etc.

If you've seen "Wild Wild West" with Will Smith in it, that is steam punk. Steam engine technology taken to ridiculous extremes

Although, the steampunk influence in Thief is quite a bit more subdued...we don't want giant, mechanical spiders shooting fireballs. :)

I only the the difference engine from Charles Babbage. Is this something different?

The book by Gibson is an "alternate history" thing where Charles Babbage's difference engine actually works, so they have gear logic gates and mechanical-based CPU's in the 1800s.

I'm not saying we need CPU's in our world though. :) Although those mech-beasts must have had some sort of clockwork processor telling them what to do.

Edited by Ishtvan

Although those mech-beasts must have had some sort of clockwork processor telling them what to do.

Or they were created with a combination of tech *and* magic. :)

The book by Gibson is an "alternate history" thing where Charles Babbage's difference engine actually works, so they have gear logic gates and mechanical-based CPU's in the 1800s.

Uh, Oh! Charles Babagge's machine DOES work. There was a 100 year celebration some years ago (don't remember the date and can't be bothered to look it up right now) where a museum built it as a proof of concept. They even built it with tools that have been available at that time. The major problem with this machine, though was that it was extremly expensive, so it couldn't be built at that time. I seem to remember that Charles B. even invented a printer or something for that machine. :)

There is no requirement on a CPU to be electric. :) I had a hungerian collegue on a project who designed a waterpowered CPU like system as a master thesis. :)

Gerhard