The Dark Mod Forums

A few noob mapping questions

Carnage

First of all I want to apologize if these questions are already described in depth in the wiki (A-Z guide, etc.), but I couldn't find them, not in depth at least.

1. I've got some problems connecting rooms. When I connect rooms the textures of the two rooms overlap each other. If they don't, then there is a gap, which causes leaks obviously. Could someone explain how to do this properly? I did what was described in the A-Z guide but it doesn't have the desired effect. I don't want a corridor, like described in the guide, but a room directly connected to another room (a door is between them).

2. What is the best and most simiple way to create stairs leading to a floor above? Is it the same as texturing around a door (clone wall, ceiling in this case, and then do the curtain method), or completely different?

3. Is it possible to have two textures on one wall, ceiling, etc., if so how? For example if you have two floors a texture for the ceiling on the first floor and one for the bottom on the second floor. Another example is that you have one wall but that you have different textures for inside and outside. That you have wall covering on the inside but just bricks on the outside and that on the same wall.

4. I don't really understand how the electronic lighting is done. I understand that it doesn't emits light by itself and that I have to place a light (rmb, place light) somewhere close to it, if I understand correctly. What is a normal place to put it and what should the brightness be. I do not really have a good feeling for this.

These are things that really obstruct me to continue building my mission. I might encounter more problems on the way, but these are the ones I have at the moment.

#1: Make a "corridor" that's really really short, to create a doorframe connecting the two rooms. Then add your door in that "corridor" (there are instructions on the wiki somewhere on how to add doors).

#2: Never made any myself, but I guess a simple staircase would just be a series of cubes stacked next to each other, each one higher than the next. Later on, once you've got the hang of basic editing, you can also make spiral staircases (but they're a bit trickier).

#3: Yes, you can set a different texture for each face of the brush. See here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here!#Selecting_and_Texturing_Individual_Surfaces

#4: Are you referring to electric lamps, or is this a more general lighting question? If you're placing your own lights, you just have to tweak their settings via trial and error. DarkRadiant's rendering mode (press F3) will give you a rough idea, and you can test the level in-game to get a more accurate picture.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hey there, just as an info, there is a thread for noob questions too^^

1: Probably you have a gap right under and above the door, just build a brush and fit it there. you can see the gaps better in the cam view.

2: You could build a brush, place it, copy it like 3 times and then copy all 4 together til you get what you want. There are different ways, what kind of stair would you like?

Ah and you can use the stairs from "Create Model- Darkmod/architecture/stairs

3: Sure you can choose just one wall and paint the next one different or you can cut the walls with clipper tool and paint just one part or Shift&Strg&RMB one side of a brush and paint each side different.

4: i am bad with lighting too^^ maybe someone else can help.

Edit: Again too slow^^

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

1. If I understand your words, there shouldn't be a gap when you don't overlap(zfighting) them. be sure to have no gap because of side of doors. you can check it in DR: File -> Pointfile.

2.Easiest way is to use prefabs and models for this. use them to save time. you can modify prefabs such as texture size etc as you wish.

3. It's possible to have 2 diff texture on different face of a brush.It's well described in a-z tut.

4.Yes you have to put source of light. I prefer just front of the model. Brightness is up to you, but consider the texture of the lamb. If you assign too low and lamb seems too bright it'll seem odd. :)

Well, #1 to me sounds like you are creating 2 seperate room (each with 4 walls, a ceiling and floor)

Thats fine for the first room, but for the second room you need to delete one of the walls (the one it will share with the first room). Then move the remaining 3 walls/floor and ceiling next to the first room.

I'd place a door frame object centered in that wall, then use the clipping tool to cut around the doorframe to make a hole for the doorway. (you can actually have the wall go into the doorframe a bit - the doorframes are a bit extra wide for this purpose)

You can either make a seperate brush for the hole under the door, or just drag one of the floors larger to fill the gap. It doesn't matter if it goes under the wall, when compiled overlapping polys will be removed.

----------

Personally I just prefer to clone and resize each wall as I go instead of trying to make the 'make hollow' and 'make room' tool work.

Just stick to grid 16 for major walls and you wont get leaks.

-------------

I do same for stairs, just clone a nearby brush and resize. I'm thinking 12 units deep and 8 high is probably the best size for stairs.

------------

Lights take some getting used to. I make most of mine about half bright (on the color wheel I pick the color, then drag halfway towards black. Full bright is just too much IMO.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thanks for the replies guys. It still not completely crystal clear, but I'll certainly go try the things you all suggested. Sorry for opening a new thread about this by the way. If it is possible the messages from this thread may be placed in the official thread.

1. The problem here is that a side wall of one room can still be seen in the wall of the other room. Will the overlapping be deleted when I compile the mission? To be clear, I deleted one wall (the one that would share the wall of the other room) but to fill the gap I had to move the existing walls, floor and ceiling. The texture of one wall (because it is in the middle of the other room) can be seen in the texture of the other room.

2. This one is clear to me.

3. When I select the wall as described in the a-z, the whole wall will get the same texture and not only the outside or inside. I'll go through it once more though, because you all say it is clearly described.

4. This one is clear to me as well.

1. The problem here is that a side wall of one room can still be seen in the wall of the other room. Will the overlapping be deleted when I compile the mission? To be clear, I deleted one wall (the one that would share the wall of the other room) but to fill the gap I had to move the existing walls, floor and ceiling. The texture of one wall (because it is in the middle of the other room) can be seen in the texture of the other room.

could you post a screenshot? that would make it easier to help

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Thanks for the replies guys. It still not completely crystal clear, but I'll certainly go try the things you all suggested. Sorry for opening a new thread about this by the way. If it is possible the messages from this thread may be placed in the official thread.

ok here is a short tutorial for you :)

asdeo.jpg

(rooms are in z view)

first create room 1(create a brush -> make a room), then divide its right brush into 2 parts for door hole. Then create 2nd room and delete its left wall. so, it'll share the first room's wall. Then assign different textures for walls by select one face of a brush (use ctrl+shift+left click). then assign your texture to it. As you can see, there are 3 different textures in the right brush of room1.

ok here is a short tutorial for you smile.gif

asdeo.jpg

(rooms are in z view)

first create room 1(create a brush -> make a room), then divide its right brush into 2 parts for door hole. Then create 2nd room and delete its left wall. so, it'll share the first room's wall. Then assign different textures for walls by select one face of a brush (use ctrl+shift+left click). then assign your texture to it. As you can see, there are 3 different textures in the right brush of room1.

Thank you very much, pictures say a lot more than words it seems ;). It worked and I think I can manage a lot of things by myself or re-reading some parts of the a-z guide. Thanks for all the replies guys.