The Dark Mod Forums

I think ALL of the darkmod creators will jump on this project - tomorrow!

Unwanted Guest

Darkmod Theif Wii !!

Figure a theif wii could track sword/balckjack movements towards enemies -just like other wii games monitor - say, baseball bat swings..,

A 360 deg treadmill -type pad that can tell if you are walking, running, turning, crouching,( you have to go down on one knee for the pad to register a 3 point-surface contact)*... shock wires so I can feel any blow given......on and on.....

Of course being played facing a LARGE screen showing the thief enviroment.

That's a 2nd dream I have.

1st one was already answered by having a working DM toolset! smile.gif

M

* Hey, I bet i would do so much real running (away) , I'd lose a few pounds!

- just fun thinking about it-

& dont tell me this was already thought of...blush.gif

• Like 1

I actually think the Wii is dumb. If I want exercise I go exercise, swinging a control around doesn't really appeal to me.

Not to mention playing thief on a Wii would probably be bad. I creep/crouch most of the time. By the end of a mission my knees would be killing me.

And I try to never use the sword...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Apart from this being a very weird idea (search the board for "engine switch" if you want to know what i mean), you would never get a devkit from Nintendo to develop a free opensource game......plus the knee thing Baddcog mentioned :blink:

Edited by Chiron

* Hey, I bet i would do so much real running (away) , I'd lose a few pounds!

- just fun thinking about it-

I agree. It is funny thinking about it. The Wii is in your living room. A guard scares you so you make your escape to the kitchen and outwit him by hiding yourself under the table. Occasionally some family members drop by asking what's the matter with you, but you only say "Sssh! Move along! He's after me!"

After waiting for hours chances are the guard no longer is looking for you, so you carefully reveal yourself again and creep back to the living room.

There you find someone spoiled your game by turning off the Wii...

Just a comment on the concept: I think blackjacking in a Wii-game would feel very wrong because you don't have feedback. Maybe it works with just a Wii-Mote and no game at all.

If I were really speculating just for fun about stealth gameplay... I'd dream about a virtual reality setup. You wear big goggles that project the world completely around you, you can look around freely, and yeah if there were certain motion sensors for object manipulation and swordplay that might be cool too. Now that's immersion! :ph34r:

Now that I think about it, after Doom3 goes open source, that would be a cool idea to actually pursue with Dark Mod itself (at least in one's dreams).

Edit: A little research and apparently there are some VR systems work pretty well with Doom 3 already. So we're halfway there.

And on the swordplay (link), I read about someone rigging a swordplay demo with a wiimote and bluetooth adapter (at least one other I read about that might be the same thing?). That might be a good start for that. Could probably rig a bow and blackjack, too (though you might want to keep blackjacking simple). Have to think about object manipulation but maybe that too.

For the rest, I'd be content sitting, using the keyboard and headtracking, but grabbing the wiimote when it's weapon time.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well if it were an official game Nintendo would most certainly release a lootbag accessory (average price 110$)... So you'd have to create that too. :P

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

it can be a interesting experience on wii, but do you think this is reasonable to abandon a 5 years work which is on advanced stage and start to completely a new project from scratch again. I don't think so.

It was just in fun!!!

Great to imagine, and yea demegogue, I think the goggles for total immersion would be a lot better

There's a VR theatre at uni which one of the PhD students there got hooked up to a Wiimote (via the magic of Bluetooth and extra sensor bars and custom software). I have at times entertained notions of getting TDM to run on it. Would take a little bit of work (there are two screens, both at an angle to the viewer in a wedge shape, and you have to set up the in-game camera to render the scene appropriately from two different perspectives, one per screen) but definitely possible. He hooked up Half-Life 2 to it without much trouble, and Doom 3 wouldn't be any harder.

Unfortunately, nobody else would ever be able to play it (without paying a visit), since it's a pretty unique setup. And since I've just about graduated, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it for long!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I noticed that too. So there's nothing stopping someone from doing it in Dark Mod. It would just be a LOT of work and even MORE tweaking to not look like crap. But maybe someone could work on a wii-sword-mod if only for fun demo purposes.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.