The Dark Mod Forums

Need Help with Female Vocals

Springheel

I would really like to see female characters added to our next update, but creating full scripts is an awful lot of work and I'm feeling a bit stretched recently. I'm not going to have much time until the middle of December, which might be too late to get full vocal sets ready for our first release.

I would appreciate any help from anyone who would like to contribute some dialogue. The current vocal template is here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10234-vocal-set-template/

Even if you just have a few ideas for lines, it would help me fill out the various characters. Just post the Character type (Diva, Tough-girl, or Shy-girl) and the type of barks ( Return to alert 1, Killed Player, etc)

Here are the various female character sets again:

"The tough-girl" -- strong, confident, edgy, low class and not very educated. Poor vocabulary, swears. Talks about gambling, sex, drinking and money (female guards, thieves, whores, townswomen, pagan women) Probably will include subset of vocals specifically for whores.

"the diva" -- educated and upper class, this is for noblewomen or powerful female characters (like mages). Haughty; talks about the failings of others, fashion, gossip. Judgemental. (noblewoman, female mage, townswomen)

"The shy-girl" -- quiet, subservient, young, earnest and idealistic. Intended for generic female servants. Talks about fears and hopes and dreams for the future (female servant, townswomen, noblewoman)

"The mother hen" -- talkative, older, uses clichés, excitable, talks about children, taking care of people, keeping the place clean (female servant, townswoman, pagans)

Don't know if I can make time but I'm willing to do a bit if there are not enough other helpers. One other character I'd have liked to see is a totally generic neutral that would fit in anywhere. Sort of a counterpoint to these extreme characters. Not all whores cuss and swear all day long for instance (so I'm told :blush: ) and not all builders praise the Builder all day (probably) anyway sometimes it's nice to have a blank forgettable character who just can be put in anywhere even as a guard, a noble, a builder. A whole list of statements can be thought up that anyone might make. "wonder if I'll be busy tomorrow?" could be a city watch, a servant, a builder. Anyway, probably not the right thread but just a thought for the future, male and female.

Don't know if I can make time but I'm willing to do a bit if there are not enough other helpers. One other character I'd have liked to see is a totally generic neutral that would fit in anywhere. Sort of a counterpoint to these extreme characters. Not all whores cuss and swear all day long for instance (so I'm told :blush: ) and not all builders praise the Builder all day (probably) anyway sometimes it's nice to have a blank forgettable character who just can be put in anywhere even as a guard, a noble, a builder. A whole list of statements can be thought up that anyone might make. "wonder if I'll be busy tomorrow?" could be a city watch, a servant, a builder. Anyway, probably not the right thread but just a thought for the future, male and female.

I'll have to side with Fidcal on this one.

We need at least one neutral-ish female voice set for the 15% to 25% of NPC's that will be used in most levels.

I can see if Grayfox06 would like to write the script - he's the voice behind the grumbler, lord, old hammer, and zombies, and is also a screenplay writer to boot. I'm sure he would like to lend a helping hand :)

Hey! Grayfox06 is practically the voice of TDM! And a screenwriter too? Then great for writing dialog too. Maybe even suggest some more female crazy person lines for the other thread.

Lol, he kinda is the "voice" of TDM... yeah a screenplayer, novel writer, writer writer...

I sent him a PM and a text msg from ye olde iphone.

I'll have to side with Fidcal on this one.

We need at least one neutral-ish female voice set for the 15% to 25% of NPC's that will be used in most levels.

"Generic" voices are great, but they're not easy to create. You can't escape making decisions about the vocabulary, enunciation, and accent for the character, and as soon as you make a choice in one direction it makes the set less versatile. As an example, as soon as the character uses slang or talks about "work" she becomes less appropriate for noblewomen. As soon as she sounds confident while searching, she becomes less appropriate for shy young maids. Etc.

I'm all for a generic voice if someone can make one, however.

I'm probably not able to help, being a non-native speaker - my vocabulary is too small.

You've got more than enough on your plate, but if anyone else who's a non-native speaker wants to help out, I can easily go through and edit the lines if needed. That's a lot easier than coming up with the ideas in the first place.

Here's what I got from Grayfox06. I will send him the example scripts to use as a template; although he knows what to expect, being the primary voice talent behind TDM already. Not sure if you guys want to make him a team member, though it would be kinda cool.

Voice actor and writer? Sounds worthy of team member I suppose.

I have the voice actress already for action. She's fantastic.

Yea sure I'll do em. How soon do the guys want em? I need to get a template for how they want em to look. Give me the script for pro or something so I have something to work off. So they want two female voices? I'm guessing a peasant and a guard voice. You think Callie could pull off a tough female guard voice?

If it helps to have a visual reference, here is the noblewoman model that we hope to include in the next update.

noblewoman2.jpg

Here's what I got from Grayfox06. I will send him the example scripts to use as a template; although he knows what to expect, being the primary voice talent behind TDM already. Not sure if you guys want to make him a team member, though it would be kinda cool.

I have certainly no objections to making him a Team Member, given his voice acting. It all depends whether he wants to become one, not everybody likes to get too involved into things.

I have certainly no objections to making him a Team Member, given his voice acting. It all depends whether he wants to become one, not everybody likes to get too involved into things.

I'll ask if he wants to be a team member. He's all down for writing the scripts, plus for future reference he'll be a good asset concerning writing, voicing, etc.

Also, Grayfox06 is wondering when you guys require the scripts? Well, more like when I require the scripts... I want them in the 1.1 release. When is that!?

We can release 1.1 as soon as the most important goals are achieved and tested (undead, etc., see the thread in the Member's Lounge). I don't think it's realistic that we will push something like this out long before Christmas. We still have lots of stuff to do, and I'm struggling with time (and with a bit of a burn-out lately - I'm almost paralyzed by the amount of mod work to do). I'm currently taking a break to code on DarkRadiant.

As for the scripts - needless to say, sooner is better so that we can review them, but in the end it's also depending on you guys (plus the voice actress), who will have to record it. Then add some time for us to cut up the files and assemble them to a vocal set.

We can release 1.1 as soon as the most important goals are achieved and tested (undead, etc., see the thread in the Member's Lounge). I don't think it's realistic that we will push something like this out long before Christmas. We still have lots of stuff to do, and I'm struggling with time (and with a bit of a burn-out lately - I'm almost paralyzed by the amount of mod work to do). I'm currently taking a break to code on DarkRadiant.

As for the scripts - needless to say, sooner is better so that we can review them, but in the end it's also depending on you guys (plus the voice actress), who will have to record it. Then add some time for us to cut up the files and assemble them to a vocal set.

Alright... so post xmas.

We'll have it done come early next month.

• 1 month later...

YES!

My script guy finally came through with the female voice set. It is the "tough girl" set, with more to come.

NH, does your voice actress have a nice "strong" voice? My actress is more suited for the diva, or noblewoman.... (though she can certainly give it a shot, I may be completely wrong.)