The Dark Mod Forums

Dragon Age: Origins

Unstoppable

2009 came and went without much excitement for PC gamers except for a couple heavy hitters toward the end of 2009. There really wasn't a stand out title since 2008's Fallout 3. However that has since changed since the Launch of Dragon Age: Origins. A game that was scheduled to be released earlier this year but thanks to the delay has received much more quests and polish that it might have.

After playing for a few hours I must say the first couple of hours are very memorable for my Dwarf commoner origin story. It makes you want to laugh and cry. Why exactly? From the beautiful opening vocal music from the launcher to the personality and exceptional voice acting. The stories themselves have a deeper meaning which tie to social and political issues.

A special bond may form between you and the characters you interact with. As is typical of a Bioware game you can expect that the choices you make impact how you can shape the world around you. This is not an easy game neither as each battle forces you to think on your feet. You can pause the game and zoom out in the tactical view. A.I. can be given pre set actions and tactics but they are best used when you micro manage them.

Each fight can be your last which keeps you on your toes. The combat is also nicely done as positioning, tactics, and strategy determine how well you do. Finishing moves along with toggle skills are also a nice edition that you will see.

Overall I think I am very happy with this game. If you are talking about the total package look no further. The game uploads data to the social site. (Social.Bioware.com) Here people can track your progress. Bioware also has already released the editing tools for the game. There are add ons available already as well like being able to respec your characters.

I would recommend to get that add on. If you are interested in the best deal for the game go here. http://cdkeyhouse.com/ You're gonna wanna go there because it's only 30 bucks and you get all of the extra download content from day 1. If you go anywhere else the deluxe edition is 65 bucks or the regular edition is 40 at Gamestop. Depends for you guys on Europe it's probably different. With this guy however you get the key and just download from the EA store. Also if you have trouble with the DLC visit the tech forum at the social site for how to resolve your problems.

Anyone else out there has played this stellar game?

• Like 1

A special bond may form between you and the characters you interact with. As is typical of a Bioware game you can expect that the choices you make impact how you can shape the world around you.

Do you post this tripe on all the boards, or are we just lucky?

• Like 1

Every friend of mine are saying that this is a very very awesome game, i may try it too

• Like 1

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

+1

Actually, I am not that big into gaming anymore (out of touch with PC and so), so I found that post interesting. Probably won't have the time to actually try the game (and chances that it runs on Linux are slim) but thanx for the post unstoppable.

Interesting that there is a game tied in with a social site.

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Actually, I am not that big into gaming anymore (out of touch with PC and so), so I found that post interesting. Probably won't have the time to actually try the game (and chances that it runs on Linux are slim) but thanx for the post unstoppable.

Interesting that there is a game tied in with a social site.

There's also an editor available which is great. People have already made add ons like extra storage space and being able to re specialize. Can't wait for the campaigns/missions to start. I will try and make some myself.

Tripe is a type of edible offal from the stomachs of various farm animals. You must like tripes. Lol. How about staying on topic :P

Lol you totally didn't even know what tripe meant, had to look it up and used a dictionary definition to try to diss someone who already did know the definition. Perhaps English isn't your native language, which would explain the poor use of it in your post/review/tripe.

A tip: leave the long game reviews to the professionals, who make good use of their language, with good grammar and structure. Everybody refers to them, when they want info. Note that there is no offence intended, but if you want to recommend this hyped game on a game-based forum, visited by mostly gamers, you can usually rest assured that everyone is informed about it, and if not, would appreciate just a simple link to a review and perhaps your (simple, short) opinion. Asking others about the game would probably be more fit for official forums, set up for discussing the game.

Do mind, I am not at all trying to command you, of give you rules. I just like to explain what Springheel's point must have been.

However, now that I see that you have a history of 645 out of 659 posts off-topic, I doubt that my advise will be followed. I also know that, if I'm being like this, I could just as well send you a personal message, but since this topic isn't worth more than my comment/post on it anyway, I'll just leave it here.

PS: Tripe, in the case referred to, means something along the lines of nonsensical writing or utterance. But I'm sure you'd have known that by now.

• Like 1

Voice actor

Dragon Age, for me, is in the category of Games that "sneak up on you and blackjack you over the head".

Meaning that i don't particularly care for them while they are in Development or in the whole Hype-Cycle ( i even remember joking about some of the Videos they released for it ) - but after they are released and actually trying them, they prove to be quite the gems.

• Like 1

So far I really like what I seen and read about that game. It doesn't look there is a demo, tho?

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

It sparked a little interest with me. I did DL the 'demo' character creator becuase it was supposed to be some amazing new character development, blah blah... Same as Oblivion and other titles. I saw nothing spectacular about it. You have 2 genders, maybe 4 races, and a few classes to choose from. I think Oblivion had more choices.

At $60 I'll probably be waiting 3 years to decide whether or not to purchase it $20.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

It sparked a little interest with me. I did DL the 'demo' character creator becuase it was supposed to be some amazing new character development, blah blah... Same as Oblivion and other titles. I saw nothing spectacular about it. You have 2 genders, maybe 4 races, and a few classes to choose from. I think Oblivion had more choices.

At $60 I'll probably be waiting 3 years to decide whether or not to purchase it $20.

I bought from this fellow for $30.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Deluxe-Edition-PC_W0QQitemZ270484186882QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item3efa1d2702

Also it includes ALL the download content, soundtrack, and wallpapers. The guy is legit and the game is brand new. Plus you can get some extra items from the flash game. (DragonAgeJourneys) Also you can get some other items manually installed. (Check the technical forums)

Way better than buying in store since those copies don't include all the download content. With the codes he gives you, you get the DLC and a code to download from the EA download manager which is fast. Works in almost any language as well. Goodluck!

Edited by Unstoppable

I went for the $40 store version. It had all the DLC except one. It's been a lot of fun, but I'm not going to post a long review of it. The writing and voice acting are quite good, and the combat is nice and tactical. Also, I'm all for any game where you can quadruple-cross someone. Some of the events are hilarious. For example:

Engaging in this summoning ritual expecting to summon a terrible demon that you're all ready to fight, and instead summoning a "spirit goat" that baaas and immediately faints.

I wasn't all that excited by the codex, though. Some of the entries are okay, like the ones that show how different cultures interpret the same historical events, but the majority of it I just skim because it's not that interesting. if I wanted to read a mediocre fantasy novel, I would do that. I just want to kill stuff, or have voice actors tell me stories. :)

• Like 1

The strongest part for me is the fact that things are in a constant flux. The tragedy and suffering while overcoming whatever obstacles come your way. The friendships you form with the characters are strong due to the great voice acting and writing. The game play is a breath of fresh air since I didn't get to play Baldur's Gate games much. It makes me want to play them now that I actually know what I was doing wrong before in them.

The game itself is difficult too and is ono push over like the console version, where friendly fire is disabled. Overall it's the complete package and I don't feel multiplayer is missing at all since I have an epic single player game to play.

As for the guy being legit or not I'm not 100% sure as with many things online but he does have a business.

Edited by Unstoppable

The game itself is difficult too and is ono push over like the console version, where friendly fire is disabled.

Where did you hear that? I have the PC version, and it has 4 difficulty settings, and friendly fire is on at 50% or something on the second, and on 100% in the 3rd and 4th. I would think the console version has the same difficulty options. What does suck about it though is that you can't zoom out all the way to get the tactical overhead view, which is nice when breaching doors, etc.

Where did you hear that? I have the PC version, and it has 4 difficulty settings, and friendly fire is on at 50% or something on the second, and on 100% in the 3rd and 4th. I would think the console version has the same difficulty options. What does suck about it though is that you can't zoom out all the way to get the tactical overhead view, which is nice when breaching doors, etc.

I heard it from Game Informer that console version has friendly fire disabled and encounters are not as hard because there are less enemies. No tactical view on console only on the PC.

Which version do you have?

I tried to like the game but it didn't do anything for me. The first thing that i noticed about the game is how insanely generic the setting is, like even more so than the forgotten realms that BG was set in, the second was that the dwarfs sounded like humans, had tiny little puss-beards and where about as undwarfy as you can get.

It bothers me that they take some generic fantasy races like elfs and dwarfs and attempt to twist them into something unique to there setting, they made there completely own world/history ect so why cant they make there own races that fit into there world instead of trying to cut the edges off a square block to fit it in a round hole.

Other than all that i just attempted to play the game a dozen times and it never once sucked me in.

edit-Oh i didn't care for how you could see every spell in the game at character creation either as it really took the mystery out of being a wizard, as i knew every single boring ability i could get from the start.

Edited by Irenices
  • Like 1

Watched a friend of mine play it for a while, really liked it and wanted to play it.

But need new computer and new screen first.. *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

This and Jade Empire are by far the worst games BioWare have done. This in particular is as generic as crap. It plays like KOTOR and doesn't look good. KOTOR was brilliant by times have moved on. Mass Effect is brilliant in comparison to Dragon Age, and I thought that that was a good game rather than excellent. Bioware seems o stumblw when there aren't any official licences. However it has done a highly commendable job with Mass Effect rather than the KOTOR licence and has done this crap without D&D licence or Tolkien.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

• 4 weeks later...