The Dark Mod Forums

Modeling Problems

bobrpggamer

Hey, I'm new to the darkradiant editor and to doom 3 editor. I am accustomed T3ED, at least i was.

Anyway I have a bunch of questions all pertaining to getting a ASE model out of 3DS Max and into the dark radiant editor for a mission. However first one simple question and then to the Model problem.

I have been putting my models in the tdm_models01.pk4 by using 7z and then updating the archive. What I would like to know is if there is a way to have just a folder with all of the folder structure of the .pk4 somewhere in either darkmod or darkradiant root and not a .pk4 file so i can add and remove models or search the folder with windows search (bascically to just not have to open the zip and putting the file in and then rezipping the archive every time i want to change somthing) (and of course allowing the editor to see the folder)?

Now for the modeling question.

When I read the tutorials on model creation, It seems that it is not clear to me on where the model goes and where the texture goes.

Model Question:

Do I always put a model in the Doom 3\darkmod\tdm_models01.pk4 and then in the .pk4 say models\darkmod\ and then the type of model such as models\darkmod\Junk?

Texture:

Do I always put the texture for the model in Doom 3\darkmod\tdm_models02.pk4 and then in the .pk4 say \models\darkmod\props\.

And then another thing i don't get is what to say in the ASE file, for example:

ASE - *BITMAP "I dont know what to put here" - when it says - *BITMAP "//base/sign1" in one of premade ASE models that come with the package, I don't know what this means, I can only guess //base means the dark mod root folder, I don't really know.

So what i don't know is if i have a model in Doom 3\darkmod\tdm_models01.pk4 - models\darkmod\junk where do i put the texture and what do i put in the ASE *BITMAP "Here" to point it to that texture?

I hope you can help. Thank You.

Hey bob, welcome to TDM!

I have been putting my models in the tdm_models01.pk4 by using 7z and then updating the archive.

Ack. Don't do that! :) The PK4s are intended to contain base TDM resources only, and your changes will be overwritten as soon as we ship a new version of TDM. Instead, simply create a models folder in the darkmod folder and put your model file somewhere in there. (Possibly under some further subfolders as well, just to keep your models organised.)

e.g. You might create this file: C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\models\darkmod\junk\broken_thingamajig.ase

Similarly, put textures somewhere inside darkmod\textures. Don't modify any PK4 files.

As long as models go somewhere in C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\models\, and textures go somewhere in C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\textures\, there's no requirement to organise them any further. It's just nice to keep everything in appropriate subfolders so they can be browsed more easily.

If you're wondering why there are two "darkmod"s in C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\models\darkmod, it's so that TDM models appear in their own models subfolder in DarkRadiant. That way they don't get mixed in with D3 models, most of which are not appropriate for our setting.

And then another thing i don't get is what to say in the ASE file, for example:

ASE - *BITMAP "I dont know what to put here" - when it says - *BITMAP "//base/sign1" in one of premade ASE models that come with the package, I don't know what this means, I can only guess //base means the dark mod root folder, I don't really know.

That's the name of a material def. A material def is an entry in a .mtr file, which is a text file. Each material points to one or more textures (diffuse, specular, etc.). Note that the name of the .mtr file can be anything, it's just the name of the entry which counts.

//base/ means the Doom3\base folder, //darkmod/ means the Doom3\darkmod folder, etc. The rest of it (like sign1) refers to the name given to a material def.

So: The ASE file points to a material name. The material points to some textures.

These wiki articles may help you:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Starting_to_Model_for_TDM (basic info on getting models into the game)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Model_Folder_Structure (this describes TDM's own folder structure, for contributors to the mod; if you're just making assets for your own FM you can ignore these guidelines if you like)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Creating_Multiple_Skins_For_A_Model (explains how to assign materials to models)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=How_to_add_Textures_to_The_Dark_Mod (explains how to get textures into the game, using material definitions)

And anything else under

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Modeling

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Textures

Good luck, and happy modelling!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

First I want to thank you for your reply crispy.

I don't really understand where to put the material file to be read by the engine I have tried the following folder "D:\doom 3\darkmod\materials" directory with no luck. I have put in standard darkmod material files such as "tdm_models_nature.mtr" just to see if it would work and no matter what i put in the ASE file such as:

*BITMAP "//base/materials/tdm_models_nature"

*BITMAP "//darkmod/materials/tdm_models_nature"

However if i put in just:

*BITMAP "//base/textures/darkmod/wood/boards/dark_rough"

out of a standard darkmod ASE model, I get a material or texture.

I don't even know where that material file is but i found some ASE's pointing to a doom 3\darkmod\dds\models\darkmod\props\textures .dds

file using windows search - but if i put that .dss in my material folder and point the ASE to:

*BITMAP "//base/materials/some_dds"

*BITMAP "//darkmod/materials/some_dds"

*BITMAP "//materials/some_dds"

I get no material or texture.

I really need to know what exactly i put in the ASE at the line:

*BITMAP "_______________

If i have a doom 3\darkmod\material - folder - What do i write in it?????

Thank you again.

The path and filename of the .mtr is completely irrelevant. All that matters is the name you've assigned the material within a .mtr file.

e.g. Here's a sample material definition (from http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Basic_Material_File):

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar
{
   qer_editorimage  textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_ed      // editor image
   diffusemap       textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar         // diffuse map
   bumpmap        textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_local     // normal map
   specularmap      textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_s       // specular map
}

The name of this material is "textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar". So, to use this material on a model, use the following (without the line break before redbrick that the forum keeps adding - grrr):

*BITMAP "//darkmod/textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar"

The .dds file extension you saw in the ASE files is a (harmless) mistake; Doom 3 ignores such file extensions when they are appended to material names.

• Like 3
My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Just to be clear about material names (Crispy explained pretty well it looks like, but the names might be confusing)

ALOT but not all of the textures have the path in the name like the one above:

(most of the terrain textures have a path- most of the objects don't- but terrain AND model textures can be interchanged and used on either objects or terrain)

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar

That makes it easier to find. That material will probably be in the tdm_stone.mtr file (open with notepad).

So if you make changes copy it out of that file and make your own .mtr file and paste it in there and change it, rename it too. Like:

Mymission.mtr (this way it doesn't screw with existing materials)

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_mychange

In the .ase file you use:

//base/textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar

or

//base/textures/darkmod/stone/brick/redbrick_with_mortar_mychange

This is good for using a stock terrain texture on a model if you want no shadows cast by model (because you use a low poly shadow mesh) You could add noshadows to the above texture, but not screw up that texture mod wide.

------------------

Some textures however don't have the path in the name.

ie (I just made this name up):

golden_chalice

In which if you wanted to change that tex you'd have to search. If it's on a loot model it's probably in tdm_loot.mtr (makes sense eh?)

If it's a junk chalice it's probably in tdm_kitchen.mtr

Even though you may have to search if it's on a model it will be in an mtr that coincides with where you found the model.

ie:

darkmod/models/kitchen/junk_chalice.ase (the path in the model viewer)

--------------------

As far as where textures reside.

All dds textures (diffuse and I think specular) are in the darkmod/dds folder (and sub-folders of that)

All the editor images (all tex in mtr file ending with _ed - help the editor run faster, very small compressed jpgs) are jpg images, and all normal maps (can't be compressed to dds, end with _local) are found in darkmod/models/props/textures for model specific textures and darkmod/textures for terrain tex.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thanks for the help.

I am sorry crispy about the -1 on your post, I hit it in accident trying to scroll down on my mouse wheel, and I couldn't find a way to erase it!

I got the material part down, the only problem is where to put the material, that isn't in the default .PK4 file. I think that's my main problem. no matter where i put it, darkradiant does not find it.

let me try to explain better as I am sure I sound pretty dumb

i have a material in: "D:\doom 3\darkmod\materials\my_material.mtr"

so then my ASE should logically, say: "*BITMAP "//darkmod [my darkmod root] /materials [my material folder]"

my texture file is in: "D:\doom 3\darkmod\textures\my_image_file_1.dds"

then my material file in "D:\doom 3\darkmod\materials\my_material.mtr"should say

darkmod/materials/my_material

{

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/my_image_file_1 // editor image

diffusemap textures/darkmod/my_image_file_1 // diffuse map

bumpmap textures/darkmod/my_image_file_1 // normal map

specularmap textures/darkmod/my_image_file_1 // specular map

}

See if you can edit this the right way for me and that will probably work best.

I just had a thought that my doom 3 folder is doom 3 - instead of doom3 - I know komags tutorial said something about this. i will try doom3 and that may be one of the problems.

Thanks Again. and sorry again for the -1 crispy.

Well, I read you can use //darkmod as that will find anything in the darkmod folder.

But I just use //base as that will find anything in the doom3 folder (which includes the darkmod folder).

the doom3 - doom 3 thing doesn't matter here. In some instances that causes the game to not run, but that's not your issue.

======================

i have a material in: "D:\doom 3\darkmod\materials\my_material. mtr"

correct

=========================

so then my ASE should logically, say: "*BITMAP "//darkmod [my darkmod root] /materials [my material folder]"

Nope.

//darkmod/materials/my_material

this is //base or //darkmod + the name of your material (which can be the path, but the extra darkmod is not needed)

The name of the mtr file is not needed.

================

my texture file is in: "D:\doom 3\darkmod\textures\my_image_file_1. dds"

this is the path for the textures in the mtr file, it's correct below

==========

then my material file in "D:\doom 3\darkmod\materials\my_material. mtr"should say

I removed the darkmod, it already looks there because of //darkmod in .ase file

materials/my_material

{

qer_editorimage textures/my_image_file_1 // editor image

diffusemap textures/my_image_file_1 // diffuse map

bumpmap textures/my_image_file_1 // normal map

specularmap textures/my_image_file_1 // specular map

}

================

You were pretty close, don't worry about it, it took me awhile to get it all straight and I still mess up paths and stuff occasionally.

I'm also going to say you should NOT use the same name for the mtr file AND your material. The reason being is your mtr file can have thousands of materials, or just one. But no reason to make more than one for release with your mission.

Instead I would call it

SiyahParsomen .mtr (damn, that makes a link)

Inside it you can have:

materials/my_material (you really don't need material in there either, it can simply be:)

my_material (and in the ase you put //base/my_material)

also in the same material file you can have:

your_material, his_material...

So the entire contents of SiyahParsomen .mtr (probably good to give it name of your mission)

my_material 
{
}

your_material 
{
}

his_material 
{
}

All that really matters is that the material has correct paths to the textures and that the .ase file has the correct material name.

Sorry guys nothing seems to work. The only way to get a texture of any kind on my models is to put //base/{any file in tdm_models02.pk4 in the directory of dds\models\darkmod\props\textures\some.dds}

such as //base/bc_lampglass3nc - which is in the tdm_models02.pk4 in the directory of dds\models\darkmod\props\textures\ when i do this i get a texture. actually like i said any .dds in that directory works - and if i extract the tdm_models.pk4 in the dark mod folder and move the pk4 file somewhere else i get no texture.

let it be known that i did try all the suggestions in the posts (thank you) and read all the material and modeling pages on the darkwiki, but i give up!

hopefully someone will write a tutorial.

Thanks Again.

I just had a thought about doing my models in lightwave. is there any tutorials on getting a model out of lightwave and into darkmod?

I messed around with lightwave about 5 years ago, but put it aside because the interface was too crazy and I was accustomed to 3ds Max. If it is not a long drawn out process to getting a model into darkradiant with all the textues, I might give it a try.

I am actually used to T3Ed and would continue working with that, but it is way too unstable, and I don't have the patients for constant crashes. This is the main reason I am trying darkradiant because of its stability.

I have this feeling that darkmod will not touch any folders in the darkmod folder and that it will only look at the .PK4's, maybe this can be fixed I don't know. But I am really excited about darkmod right now, because of the stability of the editor, so I would consilder using lightwave.

I just had a thought about doing my models in lightwave. is there any tutorials on getting a model out of lightwave and into darkmod?

I can help you with lightwave. It's pretty easy to get .lwo models into the game (much easier than .ase, in my experience). You just need to set the surface name(s) to the name of your material when you save it.

I can't see any conceivable reason why darkmod wouldn't read things outside of your pk4 folders...we don't use pk4s in our development build and it works fine.

One way to narrow down where in the process things are messing up is to pick an existing material (like tdm_machine01) and point your ase model at it. If that doesn't work, then you know it's something about the model that is the problem. If that DOES work, then you know it's something about your material file, and we can move ahead and examine it.

Yeah guys, NO reason to touch the pk4 unless you want to pull a file out to change for your own use.

DR does work by looking into files AND the PK4's. Since release 1.0 I have been using the ONLY release for testing, mapping and updating. I use the folder system we have set up, no issues. Once I have the updates done then I add them to our SVN repository for release in 1.1.

-------------------

As far as tuts, that's really what the Wiki is. We try to fill it in as much as possible but that's alot of work in itself and releasing the mod and updating is first priority IMO.

I messed around with lightwave about 5 years ago, but put it aside because the interface was too crazy and I was accustomed to 3ds Max.

I do the modeling in 3ds max, export to ASE and then use Deep Exploration for coverting from ASE to LWO. Works great, cause you don't have to change anything in ASE text file. All you need to do is to name your material in MAX - but you don't need to apply any textures. (though you usually do to see model textured before you export, but it's only the name of material matters).

I know it's confusing the fact, that some material names (those used for brushes) look like a path, but it's actually a name. But if you create your own textures and own material, you can use whatever name you wish. (well, sometimes Doom3 refuses to take some name, saying that material was already defined in file:0 or something like that - that seems like a bug and the only workaround is to make up another name).

Sometimes I use ASE files as well, as I wasn't able to convert models with vertex colors to LWO. But they work fine as well. The workflow is as follows (I may repeat something which was stated already, but it doesn't harm, I think):

1) apply Standard material to your model and put ANY bitmap texture into Diffuse slot. (even blank works) - that makes BITMAP keyword (and the rest) appear inside ASE file.

2) In your ASE, change bitmap name to the one like this:

*BITMAP "//base/tdm_docks_terrain"

or if you're using existing brush/patch material, it may look like this:

*BITMAP "//BASE/textures/rock/skysandnew_sharprock_dark"

so the name of material comes right after //BASE/ thing - no matter whether it looks like a single name or a path.

3) Place your model ANYWHERE in darkmod/models folder and textures ANYWHERE in darkmod/textures folder. (You may have some folder structure for your convenience)

4) Then create a file for your materials with ANY name (.mtr) and place in darkmod/materials folder.

5) Write your material declaration (f.e. tdm_docks_terrain) somewhere in the above file. Just keep the map paths appropriate (starting with textures/

6) And that should work.

Remember that having Doom3 open, you can reload assets without restarting the game.

ReloadDecls - reloads definitons (incl. materials)

ReloadImages - reload textures and images

ReloadModels - reloads models

and you can check model without placing it in map using

TestModel models/....path/model.lwo or .ase

It will appear in front of you.

I hope you finally make it. I had quite a bad time at the beginning with all those typos, wrong paths etc. but once you get it, it will be easy.

I do the modeling in 3ds max, export to ASE and then use Deep Exploration for coverting from ASE to LWO. Works great, cause you don't have to change anything in ASE text file. All you need to do is to name your material in MAX - but you don't need to apply any textures. (though you usually do to see model textured before you export, but it's only the name of material matters).

Sorry I don't know how to make those fancy quote boxes!

I exported a model out of 3ds max as a .3DS, then opened it up in polytrans, and exported out as a .LWO. I brought it in hoping the texture was somehow baked in. Instead I got the missing shader material and couldn't find a way a place to put the texture so the editor would see it.

By the way, the reason i am so interested in modeling in 3ds max, is that when I did my fm in T3Ed I was told not to go crazy with too many brushes, for performance reasons, and that static meshes are more optimal (especialy when I make huge maps!) in the engine. I can make a lot out of patches, but I don't think that having hundreds of them in a map is very optimal, but i don't know.

Doom3 doesn't distinguish between poly types from what I understand. It can also handle tons of polys in a scene.

So a path arch with 100 polys, a brush arch with 100 polys, an object arch with 100 polys is the same.

A major bonus for using objects is that you could have a 50 poly shadow mesh for that arch.

The dynamic lights casting shadows from said polys is what kills performance. And moreso, how many lights are casting how many shadows from said object.

exp: one light casting shadows from that arch would barely put a dent in FPS. 2 lights and it will probably drop 5 fps, 3 lights you'll probably be down 10 fps... 20 lights and you will be at 1 fps.

--------------

So you just have to balance it out. Patches are nice because they are easy to build an arch in the mission, exactly the size you want. Then you can clone it, resize it for another spot.

Objects can't be resized or retextured in game (apart from skins).

I exported a model out of 3ds max as a .3DS, then opened it up in polytrans, and exported out as a .LWO. I brought it in hoping the texture was somehow baked in. Instead I got the missing shader material and couldn't find a way a place to put the texture so the editor would see it.

Unfortunately I never tried a workflow with .3ds format for modelling for Doom3. I would actually avoid it, as it has some limitations. (one of them is that 1 vertex in the mesh can have only 1 vertex in UV coordinates, so quite often textures appear badly stretched unless you break the mesh, which result with a visible seam on the model).

Another possibility is that some information (like material name) gets lost during convertion process. I would stick to .ASE and .LWO. Try to get Deep Exploration, if you're having problems with ASE.

Sorry I don't know how to make those fancy quote boxes!

Just select the text you want and press 'Insert quotation' button in Reply panel (third from the right)

By the way, the reason i am so interested in modeling in 3ds max, is that when I did my fm in T3Ed I was told not to go crazy with too many brushes, for performance reasons, and that static meshes are more optimal (especialy when I make huge maps!) in the engine. I can make a lot out of patches, but I don't think that having hundreds of them in a map is very optimal, but i don't know.

That's not really relevant to Doom3 engine. I heard that T3ed tends to crash, when too detailed brushwork is done. In Doom3 engine you can go as detailed as you want. Although some things are not possible to model with brushes, especially organic and soft shapes, so modelling skills are very useful when mapping.

Unfortunately I never tried a workflow with .3ds format for modelling for Doom3. I would actually avoid it, as it has some limitations. (one of them is that 1 vertex in the mesh can have only 1 vertex in UV coordinates, so quite often textures appear badly stretched unless you break the mesh, which result with a visible seam on the model).

Another possibility is that some information (like material name) gets lost during convertion process. I would stick to .ASE and .LWO. Try to get Deep Exploration, if you're having problems with ASE.

I had an old copy of Deep Exploration on my hard drive. So I installed it and brought my .ASE into it and exported it as lightwave 6 .LWO, and I still don't know where to put the texture for the .LWO.

Can you give a simple explanation on how to export a .LWO out of Deep Exploration with the right settings and where to put my texture and or material files, so I can finally look at anything but "shader not found"?

This may sound crazy but is it possible to texture a model in the editor? You know, select a face somehow and and apply a texture from the game. I know it sounds impossible, but I am willing to try anything.

Thank You.

I had an old copy of Deep Exploration on my hard drive. So I installed it and brought my .ASE into it and exported it as lightwave 6 .LWO, and I still don't know where to put the texture for the .LWO.

Can you give a simple explanation on how to export a .LWO out of Deep Exploration with the right settings and where to put my texture and or material files, so I can finally look at anything but "shader not found"?

This may sound crazy but is it possible to texture a model in the editor? You know, select a face somehow and and apply a texture from the game. I know it sounds impossible, but I am willing to try anything.

Thank You.

Hey bob, just sent you a file with the correct paths and whatnot.

I really think it would be easier for you to just export ase, do a quick edit with notepad++ and you're there. Trying to figure out how to convert it into lwo is gonna be harder if you're working from Max, many uneeded steps. Also, in Lightwave you need to have the full path in the material slot from what I gather. In an .ase you just need to quickly put the name in the text file. All the paths are done in the material file in both cases anyway.

Hey bob, just sent you a file with the correct paths and whatnot.

I really think it would be easier for you to just export ase, do a quick edit with notepad++ and you're there. Trying to figure out how to convert it into lwo is gonna be harder if you're working from Max, many uneeded steps. Also, in Lightwave you need to have the full path in the material slot from what I gather. In an .ase you just need to quickly put the name in the text file. All the paths are done in the material file in both cases anyway.

Oh my god, I finally have a texture. Thank you very much!!

Funny thing is, you mentioned an arch as a model in a previous post, that was going to be my first model, once I found a way models into darkmod.

thanks again!

Also, in Lightwave you need to have the full path in the material slot from what I gather.

Nope, you just type in the name of the material file entry for the surface name, like "tdm_machine01". It's quite easy using LW, though I don't know how you do it when converting through DE.

Yeah, without collision models a model will collide with player, arrows, etc...

In editor you can make it non-solid.

Or you can add a collision model. Good because it can be lower poly and save collision performance. If it's not going to move you can make it out of several collision materials

ie:tdm_collision_wood

tdm_collision_metal

(list on wiki)

So arrows would stick in the wood spots, bounce off of metal spots.

Yeah I should have tried it before posting, because I can already climb on and go through it as it is. I thought that maybe I would need either a collision mesh or a collision brush, like in halflife 2's hammer editor.

The thing now is subobject materials. I did a little fooling around with the model to put a blacker texture around the base of the arch. So I go into darkradiant and it looks good, no problem. In the darkmod however the bottom texture is tiled over the entire thing! Don't know why.